Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM

16 posts, read 48,477 times

Advertisements

One concern is that compared to City College, Stony Brook has less courses (SBU only has a couple of aerodynamics courses and one propulsion course for undergrads) and research going on in propulsion systems and aerodynamics for aerospace. I'm worried that this might make it harder for me to get into an Aerospace Engineering graduate program.

Is this a valid concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:03 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK95 View Post
One concern is that compared to City College, Stony Brook has less courses (SBU only has a couple of aerodynamics courses and one propulsion course for undergrads) and research going on in propulsion systems and aerodynamics for aerospace. I'm worried that this might make it harder for me to get into an Aerospace Engineering graduate program.

Is this a valid concern?
If you have plans for professional school you should research your top choices, know their admissions requirements or inclinations, and manage your undergraduate degree accordingly.

That said, I met mathematics majors in my humanities Ph.D. program.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:08 AM

79 posts, read 434,913 times
Go to City College. They have courses geared towards what you want to do, which really matters. The Grove School of Engineering is head and shoulders above most of the rest of the school in terms of rigor. Most kids fail out, but if you make it through you will be in a good spot to succeed. City College doesn't offer a lot resources in terms of career guidance and what to do after graduating, but a large portion of the few resources available are pushed onto Engineering students.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM

147 posts, read 371,167 times
I don't believe either of them differ enough in rankings and prestige to make a significant difference in employment opportunities (both are well respected in Engineering fields). In your situation, it would make sense to visit both campuses and do research on their mechanical engineering departments to determine which university would be a better fit.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
They are both excellent schools. Sounds like you've done your research, and really already answered your question - based on the selection of courses in your focus area of interest (aeronautics), that you want to stay in the city, and costs - seems like CCNY is the way to go.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
But are "the sciences" and engineering synonymous ?
It was my sense that the OP was asking about engineering.
I am a humanities person and somewhat "expert" on academia at this point (how not), if not so much specifically about the sciences and engineering.

That said, I did know that broadly speaking Stony Brook is expanding all sorts of things. Devil's Advocate, though - this can be the case where there are deficits ...
I'd say there is a very strong relationship. One both uses and assists the other. Since the OP knows for sure what he wants to do post-degree (although that can change very easily and for most it usually does), I'd go with City College since it already has the degree of interest. At Stony Brook he might have to double major in Mechanical Engineering and Physics to cover all the topics, but that would be much much more difficult (if not impossible).

Old 06-10-2014, 12:12 PM

566 posts, read 503,479 times
CUNY is made up of some 13 or 15 colleges, some really good, some really poor.Top notch is City College, which has famous alumni, Nobel prize winners, and the like.Other top colleges are Baruch(one of US top business schools), Hunter, Brooklyn College.

CUNY has also some of the worst colleges in the nation: Medgar Evers, BMCC, City Tech, and other 2 year and 4year schools not worthy of being called "colleges". However, KCC, and Queens arent bad.

The only reason to choose a CUNY college over upstate is tuition costs, and having a place to stay instead of a dorm. If you live in NYC look into LIU, Pace, NYU, RIT, Columbia, Polytech, and many others.Please note if you transfer from CUNY not all credits are accepted, so stay in CUNY for masters.

Last edited by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk; 06-10-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 12:41 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
CUNY is made up of some 13 or 15 colleges, some really good, some really poor.Top notch is City College, which has famous alumni, Nobel prize winners, and the like.Other top colleges are Baruch(one of US top business schools), Hunter, Brooklyn College.

CUNY has also some of the worst colleges in the nation: Medgar Evers, BMCC, City Tech, and other 2 year and 4year schools not worthy of being called "colleges". However, KCC, and Queens arent bad.

The only reason to choose a CUNY college over upstate is tuition costs, and having a place to stay instead of a dorm. If you live in NYC look into LIU, Pace, NYU, RIT, Columbia, Polytech, and many others.Please note if you transfer from CUNY not all credits are accepted, so stay in CUNY for masters.
Different CUNY's are noted for different things. The ones named here as the worst, have some of the best programs in certain majors. An applicant would have to do research for their particular major. All have honors programs.

There is no reason to stay in CUNY for the masters. Some CUNY programs like nursing, social work, teaching, certain other programs have excellent Masters programs, but again do the research. It all really depends on what you would like to do with your Masters, and level of pay. Losing credits after graduating to apply to a Masters program is usually not a concern. Transferring before graduation is more of a concern.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:01 PM

I spent my freshman year at Binghamton University and got all As or A-s on Calculus I and II, Physics I, General Chemistry, Fundamentals of Biology, and some other freshman year classes. I'm already transferring to Stony Brook for Fall 2014 and only after sending deposits and accepting my transfer application decision, I found out about CCNY. Previously, I had ignored the CUNYs thinking that they were mediocre colleges with poor funding though I've come to realize that I was sorely wrong.

Even though I will begin my second year in college in Fall 2014, I actually would start with a junior standing due to all the credits I've accumulated regularly in my freshman year, AP credits, and winter courses.

I guess I'll stick with Stony Brook for a year and see how it goes.

Can someone address the complaints that I've heard from some that it is difficult to register for classes?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post

RIT is in Rochester. NYU and NYU Poly are too expensive. Columbia rejected me when I applied freshman year.

In my case, the public universities such as CUNYs and SUNYs are likely the cheapest. CUNYs are ~$2000k cheaper a year in tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City