Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 PM

15 posts, read 16,614 times

Advertisements

Ok, so let me start off by saying that I know that NYC can be prohibitively expensive and I am not naive about what I will have to trade in to live there. My 3bd/2ba apt for $1100 will soon be a thing of the past but I'm ready! I will be pursuing my 2nd degree at NYU in the Fall and, at 26 yrs old, dorm living is not an option for me. I was hoping you kind ppl could shed some light on areas to avoid, places I can get the most bang for my buck, etc... I will have a roommate and we are both able to swing $1000/month. We are open to more roommates if that drastically expands our options. I am not married to the idea of living in Manhattan but that would, obviously, be most convenient. My concerns are safety, price, and proximity. I have always wanted to live in NY (temporarily) and feel like this is an opportune time; I'm not a doe-eyed undergrad but I'm still young enough to appreciate the "vibe" of NYC and can stomach the struggle, I have a small savings, and no husband/children. I have read countless articles and used many online resources but now I want to hear unbiased advice from real ppl. Thanks in advance! *sidenote* advice does not have to be limited to real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:27 PM

138 posts, read 246,781 times
Hamilton Heights. Washington Heights. Inwood. All are on the upper west side and can get you to NYU on the A-train in 20-30 miinutes.

Lots of 2-bedrooms there for $2000 or less per month.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantbc View Post
Ok, so let me start off by saying that I know that NYC can be prohibitively expensive and I am not naive about what I will have to trade in to live there. My 3bd/2ba apt for $1100 will soon be a thing of the past but I'm ready! I will be pursuing my 2nd degree at NYU in the Fall and, at 26 yrs old, dorm living is not an option for me. I was hoping you kind ppl could shed some light on areas to avoid, places I can get the most bang for my buck, etc... I will have a roommate and we are both able to swing $1000/month. We are open to more roommates if that drastically expands our options. I am not married to the idea of living in Manhattan but that would, obviously, be most convenient. My concerns are safety, price, and proximity. I have always wanted to live in NY (temporarily) and feel like this is an opportune time; I'm not a doe-eyed undergrad but I'm still young enough to appreciate the "vibe" of NYC and can stomach the struggle, I have a small savings, and no husband/children. I have read countless articles and used many online resources but now I want to hear unbiased advice from real ppl. Thanks in advance! *sidenote* advice does not have to be limited to real estate.
$1000 bucks is only going to get you a studio in the "neighborhoods you should avoid".

I'd advise my neighborhood Parkchester in the Bronx. 1 beds are around 1050, and they're large so you can share. 2 beds are 1375 and threes are 1600. You'd have plenty amenities including a starbucks, a macys, walgreens, Applebee's for cheap drinks (don't eat the food), a 5 star Mexican joint, Zarros, a steak house, laundry facilities, a blink fitness and about 5 banks and supermarkets all in walking distance. You won't get anything for less than a G anywhere else with those kind of amenities or quick access to manhattan, yet alone a one bedroom. 30 mins to midtown on the 6. Be prepared for a culture shock. The neighborhood is extremely diverse. There's also a farmers market in the summer.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
Parkchester? Hamilton Heights? Inwood? The Heights? The guy doesn't want to become a salsa expert. He's new to New York and can get a $2000 apartment, he doesn't need to live in these undesirable areas

Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Parkchester? Hamilton Heights? Inwood? The Heights? The guy doesn't want to become a salsa expert. He's new to New York and can get a $2000 apartment, he doesn't need to live in these undesirable areas
Racial undertones much? So where do you recommend on his budget a 2 bedroom for 2k?

Old 06-10-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Racial undertones much? So where do you recommend on his budget a 2 bedroom for 2k?
I don't think it's a secret that there's a lot of salsa dancing in Washington Heights. I recommend somewhere where you don't have to worry as much about getting accosted, like Sunnyside Queens. Get a big 1 bedroom with a pull out sofa

Old 06-10-2014, 01:22 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,830 times
For Manhattan below 96th Street, you'll get the most bang for your buck on the Upper East Side. The trade-off is that the cheaper apartments (east of Third Avenue) are a hike to the subway. If you got a third roommate, you might be able to swing an apartment in the Financial District. I don't know much about FiDi but it seems to be more reasonably priced than some other areas in Manhattan and I heard that a lot of college students live there.

My daughter and her boyfriend lived in Washington Heights for 3 years and it wasn't dangerous but it's far from everything, there is some racial tension ("Blanca! Blanca!"), can be noisy in the summer and it's not that cheap anymore. They moved this year because their rent for a small 2 bedroom had gone up to over $2,000 a month.

You might be able to find a 2BR for $2K in some areas of Brooklyn but you would probably be in for a long commute. Bay Ridge, Kensington, Greenwood are possibilities.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 PM

251 posts, read 341,895 times
You should try Jersey City. Its an easy commute to NYU. Try the Grove street area or Journal Square.

Or Astoria in Queens. Lots of young people your age live there.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Astoria or Ridgewood

Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Ridgewood? Jersey City? Maybe he should just check out Poughkeepsie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City