Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 PM

157 posts, read 340,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
On the car thing, insurance isn't all that expensive. Expect to pay in the $1100-$1200 range per year for a sedan with a clean driving record if you're over 26. Parking obviously is the main problem. You can garage it for as low as $300/month or park on the street if you can manage the cleaning shifts or are close to easy parking (rare). To manage the shifts you have to be able to stay in your car for about an hour after the sweeper passes and do that three times per week - and this does not include times when you actually have to USE the car because when you come back you are probably S.O.L. lol

If you need your car occasionally, like weekends & holidays, the way to go is park the car on the street in Long Island City and take a quick subway ride to retrieve it
Compared to where I came from insurance doubled and I had to pay way more for registration! I did a thorough research on parking and you will not find a garage in Manhattan for 300...maybe in other areas.
And I agree..if you use your car..finding parking when you get back is insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Do apartments come with dishwashers in other cities? I wouldn't think so

The big thing missing in your post I guess is that 99% of apartments don't allow washers & dryers, and that is a common amenity in other cities
Most apartments come with dishwashers in other states. Maybe not all..but where I've lived definitely

Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katerinaver View Post
Compared to where I came from insurance doubled and I had to pay way more for registration! I did a thorough research on parking and you will not find a garage in Manhattan for 300...maybe in other areas.
And I agree..if you use your car..finding parking when you get back is insane
Use Geico

And yes plenty of garages in Manhattan available for $300 or less: Monthly Commuter Parking Specials | Icon Parking

Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Use Geico

And yes plenty of garages in Manhattan available for $300 or less: Monthly Commuter Parking Specials | Icon Parking
Geico is actually not the cheapest option, and people should beware of these garage promotions as many of them give a discount for new customers for a month or maybe a bit longer but then make you pay the usual 500-600/month

Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerinaver View Post
Geico is actually not the cheapest option, and people should beware of these garage promotions as many of them give a discount for new customers for a month or maybe a bit longer but then make you pay the usual 500-600/month
If you lease a FIAT they give you parking for $99
$99 Lease and Parking in Manhattan | FIAT of Manhattan

Old 09-26-2014, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 9,253 times
Finding an apartment in Manhattan can be difficult but if you go with a communitylike Peter Cooper Village/Stuyvesant Town (<ahref=ʺhttp://www.pcvstliving.comʺ>no-fee apartments nyc</a> ) you willhave more luck finding an apartment. By going with a community like PCVST youcan find a no-fee affordable apartment without hiring an agent. Also, you getmore amenities by going with an apartment community. For example PCVST offersgreat amenities like a fitness center, indoor play center, ice rink, and muchmore. So for all those looking for an apartment try PCVST, I think this willmake your search less of a headache.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:46 AM

Sounds like Peter Cooper Village/Stuyvesant Town are having a real hard time filling vacant apartments. My guess is the asking rents are set at Tribeca prices when they're offering a crappy location far from the subway. They should consider slashing by at least 25%

Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 AM

575 posts, read 670,159 times
In early 2010 a relative of mine had an offer/promotion from her media conglomerate employer in FL, to come to NYC. She was living with her boyfriend (in FL) and paying $1,000 plus all the other stuff. His cuz is from LI and wanted to come back to this area. They found a place in Brooklyn for $1,800, so the individual rent went to $600, plus they split electric, cable, etc 3 ways so my fam's housing costs stayed the same while the income took a huge jump. I did have to guarantee the first year's rent and a letter from my bank took care of that. They all had friends here and the gal, thru her friend, found hair, waxing and other girl things that were priced comparable to what she paid in FL.

Fast forward. the couple is married now, moved to a diff apt and doing great. They even have Yankees tix. Cuz has a great job, a new apt and new roommate.

Life is good for these 3 very cool young people. And they are not going broke in the Big Apple. Like Sinatra said, "If you can make it there, . . ."

Old 10-01-2014, 11:19 AM

582 posts, read 761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
This might seem like a ridiculous rule and is meant to protect landlords but it also helps out renters. If you don't make 40x rent, you are probably just living beyond your means.

Hey guys,

It is becoming 42x rent now. A broker just told me if I don't make 42x rent, I don't need to apply. and that was for a studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: