Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

mta.info | Capital Programs 7 Line Extenmsion

I was curious to read that "The new 34th Street station at 11th Avenue is projected to be the busiest single station in New York City." I don't totally understand how this could be possible. Wouldn't it make sense that Times Square or Union Square with all those lines running through would be busier?

The Times says the station will be completed by the end of 2014 (it was supposed to open in 2013 but was delayed by elevator building problems.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
mta.info | Capital Programs 7 Line Extenmsion

I was curious to read that "The new 34th Street station at 11th Avenue is projected to be the busiest single station in New York City." I don't totally understand how this could be possible. Wouldn't it make sense that Times Square or Union Square with all those lines running through would be busier?

The Times says the station will be completed by the end of 2014 (it was supposed to open in 2013 but was delayed by elevator building problems.)
Not sure but maybe because it will be at the Javits Center ? Most people using Times Sq,Union Sq,etc are passing through or changing trains and they probably don't count.Probably only metro card swipes count. I agree that it still seems like a stretch but those are the only logical reasons I can come up with.

They also might be including a huge number based on the projected population increase expected in the area over the next decade.I think I read somewhere it would be something like 30,000 or 40,000 people.Basically,a whole new,very dense neighborhood with lots of 30 and 40 story apartment buildings.

The potential for being the busiest station is probably there.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-12-2014 at 02:32 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 02:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default $1.1 Billion Station

They spent $1.1 billion on this one station. That is a huge amount of cash on one station. The statement that it will be the most frequented station is largely rhetoric designed to justify the cost of extending the 7 line for one station. Nobody actually believes that this will be a busy station it will likely not be in the top 50.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,034,479 times
I agree that is probably an overstatement, but besides Javits Center, the loading point for the Megabuses are by there as well and they are quite busy.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:42 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
You people forgot about the people that will be living, working, dining and shopping at Hudson Yards?

"The subway extension will make it possible for new housing, office buildings, restaurants, entertainment and other commercial establishments to grow on the Far West Side in an area now being referred to as Hudson Yards."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Well considering it is the only subway station over there and the predicted growth in population, yes can see how the place will one day be very busy.

Right now even with the current developed areas the Far West Side is still mostly commercial spaces and what not. But once the Hudson River Yards developments are completed and more residential along with other development is completed things will likely be different.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not sure but maybe because it will be at the Javits Center ? Most people using Times Sq,Union Sq,etc are passing through or changing trains and they probably don't count.Probably only metro card swipes count. I agree that it still seems like a stretch but those are the only logical reasons I can come up with.
No, Times Square is actually the busiest in terms of people swiping in. Aside from common sense (it's located in the middle of Midtown Manhattan, which has the highest concentration of jobs in the city), the MTA's stats say so: mta.info | Facts and Figures

By "single" station, they probably mean a station that's only served by one line. (For instance, Herald Square, Union Square, Times Square, etc are all served by multiple trunk lines). But even then, there's a lot of busy stations that are only served by one line. For instance, some of the stations on the 6 line would probably be busier than Javitz Center. (And if you count trunk lines as a single line, that would include 86th Street, which is in the top 10).

In other words, it's BS as usual.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default M & r

The busiest single line- single station location is the Main St-Roosevelt ave terminus of the 7 line. Doubtful that this new station can approach 19 million rides next year.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
By "single" station, they probably mean a station that's only served by one line. (For instance, Herald Square, Union Square, Times Square, etc are all served by multiple trunk lines). But even then, there's a lot of busy stations that are only served by one line. For instance, some of the stations on the 6 line would probably be busier than Javitz Center. (And if you count trunk lines as a single line, that would include 86th Street, which is in the top 10).

In other words, it's BS as usual.
After the Hudson Yards projects are complete with office buildings, residential space, commercial space, etc that area will one day become a very busy station. However, all the construction has to finish in that area which is a few years away.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
Its great, theres so much foot traffic on 11th avenue it demanded that the 7 train go there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City