Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM

118 posts, read 163,624 times

Advertisements

Last time i had jury duty was 2004, i dont remember much of how it worked etc.

Can someone please tell me the process of the day, is it possible for me not be called at all and then im dismissed?

I read about a lounge? i remember sitting in like an auditorium setup is the lounge different than this?

can you hear your name from there?

I had also read that they dont check id or anything and some people brought a friend with them to keep them company, is this possible?

any other tips? im looking to avoid going back another day due to health issues its really hard for me to do something like this but they wont except my health as a indefinite excuse i have put it off for 2 years so looking to get it done with for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
last time i had jury duty was 2004, i dont remember much of how it worked etc.

Can someone please tell me the process of the day, is it possible for me not be called at all and then im dismissed?**yes it's possible to not get called then dismissed. you can also just sit there for 2 or 3 days before they decide what they will do, or you will be called to a trial and either serve or not serve**

I read about a lounge? i remember sitting in like an auditorium setup is the lounge different than this?**yes a big room where everyone goes at first. when i served in 2010 people started to get called to jury rooms just before or after lunch**

can you hear your name from there?**yeah pretty much**

I had also read that they dont check id or anything and some people brought a friend with them to keep them company, is this possible?**they checked the juror summons and collected part of it I don't remember if they checked other forms of ID and i don't know about friends being allowed.**

any other tips? im looking to avoid going back another day due to health issues its really hard for me to do something like this but they wont except my health as a indefinite excuse i have put it off for 2 years so looking to get it done with for now**you can postpone but then if you postpone again past a certain point you have to go in person with medical documentation to try to get out of serving. a verbal or written request on the summons to get out probably won't work--you have to go in person with documentation for it to work**

Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
How to get dismissed? Act like a real jerk to the judge and lawyers by claiming not to speak English or declaring you find the defendant guilty just by looking at him or her. Everyone will know you are doing this deliberately to get out of jury duty and the judge will definitely be very annoyed at you and may even threaten you with contempt of court. He will definitely not dismiss you on these grounds. However, when it comes time for the lawyers to pick the jurors, you will definitely be excused because no lawyer will want a hostile juror on their case.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 PM

118 posts, read 163,624 times
Yeah i already had to go in person and i showed signed documents from drs but they wont let me put it off anymore, they dont see stomach aliments no matter how serious as a reason not to serve

Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 PM

774 posts, read 906,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
How to get dismissed? Act like a real jerk to the judge and lawyers by claiming not to speak English or declaring you find the defendant guilty just by looking at him or her. Everyone will know you are doing this deliberately to get out of jury duty and the judge will definitely be very annoyed at you and may even threaten you with contempt of court. He will definitely not dismiss you on these grounds. However, when it comes time for the lawyers to pick the jurors, you will definitely be excused because no lawyer will want a hostile juror on their case.
You don't want to **** a judge off.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
in that case maybe what you can do is just show up and bring your medical documentation to the selection process. the judges usually give prospective jurors a chance to speak with them as for reasons why they fell they cannot serve. maybe you could explain that while you were not excused, your ailments will make you have to use the bathroom multiple times during a trial and that it would be a neccessity for you to be able to do so. if the judge wants you there badly enough they will OK that. if not OK maybe they will just dismiss you

when i served in 2010 i informed the judge that i was taking diuretics and would need to use the bathroom frequently. she was OK with it

Old 06-13-2014, 08:58 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
Last time i had jury duty was 2004, i dont remember much of how it worked etc.

Can someone please tell me the process of the day, is it possible for me not be called at all and then im dismissed?

I read about a lounge? i remember sitting in like an auditorium setup is the lounge different than this?

can you hear your name from there?

I had also read that they dont check id or anything and some people brought a friend with them to keep them company, is this possible?

any other tips? im looking to avoid going back another day due to health issues its really hard for me to do something like this but they wont except my health as a indefinite excuse i have put it off for 2 years so looking to get it done with for now
There is the main jury room and then there is a lounge room on the side - they have wifi there (in the lounge) so you can bring your tablet or laptop and use it.

These days, if you are not called for jury selection at all the first day, nearly all of the time they dismiss you at the end of the day (3-ish) with time served. The majority of people do get called for jury selection though. If you are called for jury selection (which sometimes goes into a second day), and are not selected, then again you are usually dismissed with time served.

As the other poster said, the judge will usually ask at the start if there is anyone who feels they cannot go through a trial, and that is when you can state your case to be let go.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:08 AM

725 posts, read 804,916 times
Just remember that you could literally be saving someone's life by being a juror. Jury duty is the best way for direct democracy and having a say in how things work.

If you don't believe something should be illegal or you don't support the punishment for a crime and think it is unfair and don't support prison abuse, vote your conscience and vote not guilty. You have the power to save someone's life. It's called jury nullification.

You have every right to vote your conscience. Any judge or prosecutor who says you must convict if someone is proven to have broken some arbitrary law, is corrupt. Just don't tell people the real reason why you are voting not guilty because they will want to disqualify you. Just say you don't believe the prosecution proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt and hang tough.

If a person directly hurt no one in his actions vote not guilty.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:09 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
i had jury duty in april

you just sit in a room with everyone else, fill out forms which someone collects, and wait to have your name called if you do get selected for a trial. lots of sitting, 1.5 hour lunch break, then back to more sitting and waiting.

by being present, you essentially put pressure on the defendant bc it means the prosecutor is ready for a trial. usually they go for the plea deal lol

if you do get called as a jury for a trial, they explain everything in the court room and ask you some personal questions (i only know this off research) for further "filtration" so they have their perfect jury

luckily i didn't get called and went home..passover was the next day so my 2 day jury duty ended up only being one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City