Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Elect Humpdy Trumphy?
I could be wrong but I don't think it was the Millennial Generation that elected Humpdy Trumphy to office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 12:38 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think it was the Millennial Generation that elected Humpdy Trumphy to office.
I was referring to the 2018 election. Not the troll. Not one millennial I know voted for him. Thought he was a joke. And that includes men, women and the military.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
With gerrymandering and over-apportioning legislators to the big empty states, I doubt that voting has much to do with representation in the U.S. What's needed is action on the streets 24/7/365...not selfies.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:58 AM

215 posts, read 200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
Much has been written about the white gay experience in NY, but not much about Black Gay America.

I REMEMBER THE GRAPEVINE AND G.G. BARNUM ROOM. I AM WHITE BUT AM INTO TRANSGENDERED GALS.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the names of ANY black gay clubs, lounges or "anything else" that are now CLOSED but were open prior to 1985?

Also looking for information on a black gay club called "The Hideaway" that was located off Hillside Ave & Parson's Blvd in Queens in the early 1980's.

PICTURES WOULD BE MORE THAN APPRECIATED.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:59 AM

215 posts, read 200,396 times
I remember the grapevine and g.g. Barnum club, although i am white and like transgendered gals as opposed to guys with mustaches and beards!!

Old 07-21-2020, 09:57 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,820 times
There was a lot of black & latino down low clubs back then i knew some dJs who were paid to a lot of money for those gigs!

Old 12-29-2020, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 718 times
Smile Morris Turkish Bath house, One Potato

I do remember these two places in NYC back from 1985. One potato, located on the north corner of Christofer street and Washington street. This bar was run by a friend/neighbor who lived in my apartment building on 15th street and 6th avenue, with whom I lost touch back in 1989. I can't say when it closed. Then, I remember Mt. Morris Baths, located on 125th street and Madison avenue. That was frequented by 90% black men, that was paradise on earth. I stopped going there after I left NYC in 1994. That place also served the homeless at night time, they had beds for them and we costumer would bring food or buy food for them. They were not necessarily gay but they were kind and charming people. I hope this helps your search.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:18 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Sallys Hideaway in the Deuce and Traxx on 19th St. And what was the midtown hustler bar around 45th and 6th ave....ther west side equivalent to Rounds on 52nd st. on the East Side ?

Escuelita on 39th was a latin club but also very heavily mixed with black men.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,176 times
Default Peter Rabbit & Kellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
PETER RABBIT was half and half, aka completely integrated, until it closed. But I reveled there as early as 1970-1975 and met my partner there 41 years ago (both white.)
I don't think it even survived until 1980 and became an upscale Chinese restaurant that failed within 2 years, then a string of failed restaurants.
The bar had the BEST jukebox in the City and Sunday dancing was popular.
They served a nice free spread ever Sunday afternoon at 4. Several of the bars did to keep customers from wandering off but Peter Rabbit and the Road House (on Hudson) had the best food (RH served at 5.) You could do two free dinners to help sober up.

KELLER'S on West Street was pretty integrated too.

I cannot recall any exclusively black bars before 1980. The popular one on Eight Avenue, whose name escapes me might have qualified as mixed black and Hispanic, but that's only heresay. I was never there.

(I wish I had kept a couple of ancient HX magazines to jog my memory a bit.)

Sorry, BP...looking back on the thread, I may have said the same thing TWICE.

Just a note of clarification. Peter Rabbit was definitely still open and jumping in 1982 and 1983. i lived in The south Bronx in those years, 5mins walk from Willis Ave Bridge, and each w/end would travel to Kellers (also very integrated) and then onto Peter Rabbit. Kellers being a more traditional 'Gay Bar' - a crowd of 'regulars', very welcoming and friendly, wth a masculine feel, pool in the weekdays and soul music. As I recall Peter Rabbit much larger on at least two floors, a kind of expansive dark-room below, with half-dressed dancers on the bars-tops in the bar and dancefloor area upstairs. Often emerged into the sunlight of a Sunday morning.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,176 times
P.S. i think someone also already mentioned 'The Nickel Bar' on 72nd St. (?). I visited there just once. Pretty much 100% Black on that particular night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City