Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Oh, but City Data is the information referral system for every sort of subsidized housing out there. Are you sure I haven't been absorbing all of this info to get a subsidized place in the heart of Manhattan? I may very well be in NYC at the moment.

Clearly from my attitudes, I had no intention of being gone long. Remember I'm cool with NYC so long as I get a place in a prime location!
If subsidized housing makes some people happy, good for them I guess. I'd personally be devastated and consider myself a failure if my life ever came to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If subsidized housing makes some people happy, good for them I guess. I'd personally be devastated and consider myself a failure if my life ever came to that.
I'd consider my self a success if a person doing all that hard work that some do and had to live in Staten Island while I did little work and got a prime location in Manhattan. I'd say the joke is on that person doing all that hard work, who has little chance of getting a place in Manhattan. But it's a hustlers game out there, and I've never seen things to people because they are the "nicest, hard working types".

Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Technically a correct statement (since its not like the number of people willing to commit a suicide attack stretches to infinity), but woefully naive.

I'd suggest speaking to anyone who has experience working in the middle east, on the ground, particularly in any capacity that might have a nexus with extremists in their daily lives.

The Islamic world does not want for people willing to carry out a suicide attack.
Yes, it does.

If they are all so willing to die, the Arab nations should all go to war with Israel at once. But since Israel has won every war with Arab states and has nukes, most of Israel's enemies are not suicidal enough to take them on in all out war.

You can have all sorts of crazies anywhere in the world screaming everything, but the bottom line is most people are not suicidal.

And keep in mind the Western world has been capable of genocide (think the colonialism of the Americas and the Holocaust). No terrorist group wants to go far enough to prove the obliteration of their countrymen, particularly when Western nations have NUKES.

And keep in mind the US is the only nation in the world to actually use nuclear weapons. Bin Laden himself would not want to provoke that kind of attack (the US hunted him down and killed him anyway).

Old 06-19-2014, 10:54 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
I'd consider my self a success if a person doing all that hard work that some do and had to live in Staten Island while I did little work and got a prime location in Manhattan. I'd say the joke is on that person doing all that hard work, who has little chance of getting a place in Manhattan. But it's a hustlers game out there, and I've never seen things to people because they are the "nicest, hard working types".
Your "dig" doesn't hook me, sorry. I'd absolutely hate to live in Manhattan. I hate even working there! Biggest mistake of my life considering I had a choice and pretty much the only thing I can complain about currently. Staten Island is the only part of NYC I can even remotely put up with. Everything else is far too urban for my liking.

Living in Manhattan has never been a desire of mine. I don't understand people who would work so hard (or be subsidized...), just to live in a small corner of a building that someone else owns. I'll gladly take the woods and deer I see from my balcony over the concrete jungle any day of the week. Hell, my next move will be to even MORE woods and nature, definitely not LESS such as Manhattan has.

Again, you really need to learn that many millions of perfectly normal people will disagree with you on many topics in life without being losers, unhappy, poor, unsuccessful or whatever other excuses you can create to explain away one's disagreement with your obvious superiority.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Your "dig" doesn't hook me, sorry. I'd absolutely hate to live in Manhattan. I hate even working there! Biggest mistake of my life considering I had a choice and pretty much the only thing I can complain about currently. Staten Island is the only part of NYC I can even remotely put up with. Everything else is far too urban for my liking.

Living in Manhattan has never been a desire of mine. I don't understand people who would work so hard (or be subsidized...), just to live in a small corner of a building that someone else owns. I'll gladly take the woods and deer I see from my balcony over the concrete jungle any day of the week. Hell, my next move will be to even MORE woods and nature, definitely not LESS such as Manhattan has.

Again, you really need to learn that many millions of perfectly normal people will disagree with you on many topics in life without being losers, unhappy, poor, unsuccessful or whatever other excuses you can create to explain away one's disagreement with your obvious superiority.
You can always quit your job at ANY TIME if having to come to any part of NYC makes you feel so unhappy. You are the ones saying you HATE your job and your life, not me!

And obviously, if given a choice most people would rather live in Manhattan over Staten Island if they are going to live in NYC proper. When tourists and business people come to NYC, SI is the LAST borough they see! (and the overwhelming majority never bother to see it).

Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,136 times
Quote:
In short, some people here like to spread FEAR. Whether it's crime or terrorism or whatever. I think some people have such miserable, hate filled lives that they have nothing to do but spew the most negative, vicious things that they can. It shows their true state of mind.

To be honest, there are right wingers on this forum I can see flipping out and turning into a Timothy McVeigh/Unabomber type.
Good grief.

Quote:

Here's the incident you speak of:

Assault on California Power Station Raises Alarm on Potential for Terrorism - WSJ

Poisoning a major water supply is actually a ridiculously easy attack to carry out. Al Queda has made it clear in the past that this is one of their goals:

Al Qaeda warns of threat to water supply - Washington Times

Tokyo subway sarin attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everyone who works to stop these types of attacks works under a simple principle: They only have to be PARTIALLY successful ONCE. We on the other hand have to be PERFECT, EVERY SINGLE TIME. Anyone who doesn't get that is a fool who hopefully is not involved in keeping our society safe.
Thanks for the links. Yes, that power station sabotage was the one I had in mind. Also remember the Tokyo subway attack, which resulted some people becoming blind.

Totally agree with the underlined part.

The danger is real. We have common enemies. Don't fight here

Old 06-19-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Good grief.

Thanks, for the links. Yes, that power station sabotage was the one I had in mind. Also remember the Tokyo subway attack, which resulted some people becoming blind.

Totally agree with the underlined part.

The danger is real.
Yawn. I'm about to hit the sheets and sleep, which is about how serious I take this nonsense.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Hey guys, good evening. I haven't read the thread, but just stopping by to see if anybody has gone on rants about how everybody in the free world desires nothing more than to live in a tiny space not much larger most living rooms, as long as it is in prime manhattan or west brooklyn. How if you don't want that, you're either lying or an unsuccessful loser.

I don't have time to read the whole thing. Just curious...

Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Home-grown terror: American jihadist wannabes flock to ISIS-like groups in Iraq and Syria - NY Daily News

Old 06-20-2014, 07:26 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Terrorist attacks are usually unannounced so I'm not sure how well can anyone prepare for a terrorist attack. Do you carry a gas mask in your bag to work everyday? Keep a loaded gun under your work desk?
Can a terrorist attack happen again? Sure it can. But if it does happen, it will most likely be a small scale attack. Not large enough to paralyze the city for weeks on end.
I fear a natural disaster, as recently evidenced by Sandy, will be far more damaging to the city’s daily routine than a terrorist attack.

It's a good idea to get an emergency preparedness kit, decide on a plan, and have awareness of what to do in the event of a disaster. It's doubtful you will need an underground bunker with a year's supply of canned food; it is, however, common sense to have a weather radio, flash light, and some non-perishable food items and all your necessary medications on hand in case the power is knocked out by a storm for example.
But anyone reasonable person who has watched the National Geographic reality show 'Doomsday Preppers" is left with the unmistakable impression that what these folks want most of all, is not to protect their families- which is usually the standard explanation for why they’re doing what they’re doing or even the dubious pleasure of be able to say to the rest of us “See, I TOLD YOU the world was going to end”- what they really want, IMO, is a license to open fire.
Some of these people are even cheering for sh*t to go down.
It’s crazy, but in America, the land of conspiracy theorists, doomsday preppers, gun nuts, and all the other wackos in between everything is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City