Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 06:34 AM

7 posts, read 8,321 times

Advertisements

Hi there, we are traveling to New York on the 12th-20th November 2014 for our honeymoon and have no idea how to plan a itinerary as we are from Australia. I can put together a rough estimate of where and when we should be going but as I have never travelled to New York before I have no idea. We know where we want to go but planning it in the correct order is a challenge. Here is what we want to do and places we want to see and eat at. Dinners we will chose randomly it's more afternoon were are concerned about. We are staying at the hilton garden inn Times Square

Things we would like included in out itinerary are;

Lady liberty

Brooklyn bridge

Moma

The Met museum

smorgasburg

Grimaldis pizza

Grays papaya

Katz deli

Johns of bleecker

Chelsea market

Shake shack

Magnolia bakery

Soho

Chinatown

Kardashians store (Dash)

Greenwich village

Macys

Bergdorf goodman

Bendels

9/11 memorial

Wall Street

Charging bull

Empire State Building

Rockefeller

Tiffany & co

Serendipity

Fao Schwartz

Central Park

Boat house/ boat ride on the lake

Little Italy

Trump rink

Carrie Bradshaws apartment 64 perry street

Manolo

The plaza

Grand central

Madame tussaudes

Broadway

Central Park zoo

If there are any other suggestions please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
Hii congrats on your exciting vacation. I would suggest checking out trip advisor, as it is more oriented towards visitors / travelers. My friends here on C-D can be a funny bunch. Half the people will have you going on the tours of NYCHA properties, and there may be a few recommending the Armenian thanksgiving parade in the north bronx in November.

Nyc....the only place where white 20 yr old hippies show up to the USA soccer viewing party with Ghana flags (I hope people saw that on espn).

Old 06-21-2014, 08:20 AM

158 posts, read 303,961 times
The Highline is a popular tourist destination;

The High Line | Friends of the High Line

Old 06-21-2014, 08:24 AM

Also the Top of the Rock;

https://secure.topoftherocknyc.com/O...FXMR7AodryoArw

Old 06-21-2014, 08:26 AM

If your by the west side of Manhattan one day you can visit the Intrepid Museum and there is a great place to eat nearby, Gotham West Market.

The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum

Gotham West Market - Clinton - New York - Restaurants Search - The New York Times

Old 06-21-2014, 09:23 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
why would you want to spend your honeymoon in a overcrowded, dirty, smelly, expensive city??

Go to Bora Bora, Fiji, Hawaii, the French Polynesian Islands, etc for your honeymoon..

Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandii888 View Post
Hi there, we are traveling to New York on the 12th-20th November 2014 for our honeymoon and have no idea how to plan a itinerary as we are from Australia. I can put together a rough estimate of where and when we should be going but as I have never travelled to New York before I have no idea. We know where we want to go but planning it in the correct order is a challenge. Here is what we want to do and places we want to see and eat at. Dinners we will chose randomly it's more afternoon were are concerned about. We are staying at the hilton garden inn Times Square

Things we would like included in out itinerary are;

Lady liberty -
Get your tickets now - go to the website at NPS.com

Brooklyn bridge
It's a bridge

Moma - The Met museum - Museum of Natural History - Library

smorgasburg - never heard of it - same with the next 2

Grimaldis pizza -

Grays papaya

Katz deli

Johns of bleecker

Chelsea market

Shake shack

Magnolia bakery

Soho

Chinatown

Kardashians store (Dash)

Greenwich village

Macys -

Bergdorf goodman

Bendels

9/11 memorial

Wall Street

Charging bull

Empire State Building

Rockefeller

Tiffany & co

Serendipity

Fao Schwartz

Central Park

Boat house/ boat ride on the lake

Little Italy

Trump rink

Carrie Bradshaws apartment 64 perry street

Manolo

The plaza

Grand central

Madame tussaudes

Broadway

Central Park zoo could be a day

If there are any other suggestions please help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYork View Post
The Highline is a popular tourist destination;

The High Line | Friends of the High Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYork View Post

Ignore this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
why would you want to spend your honeymoon in a overcrowded, dirty, smelly, expensive city??

Go to Bora Bora, Fiji, Hawaii, the French Polynesian Islands, etc for your honeymoon..
I was never a tourist in NYC, but I did take many visitors around. Since you won't have someone to show you around, I strongly recommend one of the tours - some of the places on your list are "stop-by" but don't require time. You see the bull, then you've seen it - it's a statue that doesn't require time; same with stores; Wall St; an apt and a bridge.

I second the recommendation on TripAdvisor - it's a board similar to this except it focuses on travel and tourism.

With so much to do and so little time, I recommend NOT going to Liberty Island but seeing The Lady/Lady Liberty/the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island ferry. You'll miss out on the tours, especially the ranger-led trip up the statue, but that is a good half-day trip between the ferry ride to Liberty Island where the statue itself is, the ferry ride to Ellis Island with the museum, and then the ferry ride back to "the city" - Manhattan. (These are 2 different ferries - the expensive "ferry" to the Statue and the free ferry to/from Staten Island.) The problem is time. I think the day spent learning about the statue and Ellis Island is worth it, but you have so many things on your to-do list.

Personally, I'd cut out some stops and make them just a drive-by - like the Brooklyn Bridge. That's why I recommend the tours - AppleTours is the only one that comes to mind at this time. If you do opt for the tour bus and decide to spend the time at Liberty and Ellis Islands, I've got a friend who is a ranger on Liberty, sometimes at Ellis. He has a masters in history and is working on a PhD specifically concerning that area. His passion comes through when he gives his tour and he is possibly the most knowledgeable, even more than the much longer-term rangers (one of whom was my next door neighbor). Hopefully he'll be there when you do the tour. DM me for his name if/when you decide to do that tour (no, he doesn't get extra but you get much more from it).

Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 AM

571 posts, read 790,867 times
Quote:
Dinners we will chose randomly
I would research your meals ahead of time, it's easier to spend $100 on a crappy meal in Manhattan then just about anywhere else. It's easy to get worn down and hungry and to settle for any old restaurant.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:52 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
i always recommend that when visiting a new city -- and having a few days to spend there -- to take an organized bus toru the first full day you're there. Do that here in NYC and it does two things for you: It will take you by a few of most touristy spots faster than you could find them yourself, saving you time, and second, it will also give you a sense of exactly wehre you want to spend your time yourself the rest of the visit.

But frankly, you have to work really hard to have a bad time visiting here on your honeymoon. And if you dont get to see everything you want, come on back!

Old 06-21-2014, 01:53 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Ignore this.

I was never a tourist in NYC, but I did take many visitors around. Since you won't have someone to show you around, I strongly recommend one of the tours - some of the places on your list are "stop-by" but don't require time. You see the bull, then you've seen it - it's a statue that doesn't require time; same with stores; Wall St; an apt and a bridge.

I second the recommendation on TripAdvisor - it's a board similar to this except it focuses on travel and tourism.

With so much to do and so little time, I recommend NOT going to Liberty Island but seeing The Lady/Lady Liberty/the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island ferry. You'll miss out on the tours, especially the ranger-led trip up the statue, but that is a good half-day trip between the ferry ride to Liberty Island where the statue itself is, the ferry ride to Ellis Island with the museum, and then the ferry ride back to "the city" - Manhattan. (These are 2 different ferries - the expensive "ferry" to the Statue and the free ferry to/from Staten Island.) The problem is time. I think the day spent learning about the statue and Ellis Island is worth it, but you have so many things on your to-do list.

Personally, I'd cut out some stops and make them just a drive-by - like the Brooklyn Bridge. That's why I recommend the tours - AppleTours is the only one that comes to mind at this time. If you do opt for the tour bus and decide to spend the time at Liberty and Ellis Islands, I've got a friend who is a ranger on Liberty, sometimes at Ellis. He has a masters in history and is working on a PhD specifically concerning that area. His passion comes through when he gives his tour and he is possibly the most knowledgeable, even more than the much longer-term rangers (one of whom was my next door neighbor). Hopefully he'll be there when you do the tour. DM me for his name if/when you decide to do that tour (no, he doesn't get extra but you get much more from it).
NYC isn't an overcrowded, dirty, smelly, and expensive city???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City