Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:27 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
If you move to Marble Hill (which is technically part of Manhattan, even though it's geographically part of The Bronx), you'd have easy access to both the Metro-North station, and the 1 train at 225th Street (just keep in mind that it's a pretty long ride, since it's local, though you can transfer to the A at 168th, or the 2/3 at 96th). There's also the BxM18 express bus to Downtown as well.

But yeah, I'd also second Tarrytown. Short commute to work, and then for the 2-3 times a month the OP needs to go downtown, it's a relatively quick ride on the MNRR & subway.
I will assume Marble Hill is safe. But in my humble opinion it is a crappy and depressing area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:22 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogoxkirus View Post
Thanks guys, my budget would be $1k-$1.5k/month. The office is not close to Tarrytown station but I can arrange car pool with other colleagues so it won't be a problem.
I'd prefer living in the city considering I don't have a car (and young and single). Would the commute be so terrible if I live in Manhattan, or somewhere in Queens 15 minutes by subway from Grand Central?

You'd be nuts to live in Queens or Brooklyn and commute to and from Westchester every day.

Tarrytown is a pretty great town. I'd honestly recommend it over living in Manhattan. There are a bunch of restaurants and bars, some cafes, etc. The girls are more down to earth too, even that little outside the city. The city is fun and everything and you can easily train it in when you want to. But the cost is astronomically absurd and you'll probably quickly get fed up with the crowds and the hassle that is everyday living for the price you'll be paying. I should add that I don't know the current going rents in Tarrytown, but it's most definitely cheaper and more space than Manhattan. I'll at the very least tell you not to be crazy and live in Brooklyn or Queens if you're working up there every day...

Old 06-22-2014, 08:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
You'd be nuts to live in Queens or Brooklyn and commute to and from Westchester every day.

The girls are more down to earth too, even that little outside the city.
BINGO! It's a different world up here. No transplants, no trust-funders, no $3,000 rents, and much less gold digging. You'll meet girls who actually don't care if they live in Manhattan. And that's a good thing.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I will assume Marble Hill is safe. But in my humble opinion it is a crappy and depressing area.
The only reason I'm recommending it over Riverdale is because the station sees more frequent service, and is also easier to get to, since the Spuyten Duyvil & Riverdale stops are in isolated parts of the neighborhood.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,035,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The only reason I'm recommending it over Riverdale is because the station sees more frequent service, and is also easier to get to, since the Spuyten Duyvil & Riverdale stops are in isolated parts of the neighborhood.
If one doesn't mind a 10 minute walk to the Marble Hill Metro-North station (or quick bus ride/one subway stop in inclement weather), living in upper Inwood in Manhattan by the park/Columbia health/sports complex is an option too, west of Broadway is nice. One can take the 1 to midtown/downtown or walk a few minutes south and catch the A downtown.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I would also suggest looking to relocate closer to Tarrytown, even if you have to buy a car, because you will find a better apartment for the price; will not have to pay the train fare daily, only on days when you have to work in Manhattan; and you will not have to pay city resident income tax. Marble Hill and Riverdale are fine, but the neighborhoods are as sleepy as Westchester; well Riverdale is, but Marble Hill depends upon where in the neighborhood because there can be crime issues in the area. Kingsbridge is further from Metro-North, but the neighborhood is better than Marble Hill, overall, though I would still suggest Westchester.

Tarrytown does have a good downtown area, but living without a car can be difficult. There is no car sharing in the form of ZipCar in Tarrytown, as you can find in White Plains or even Yonkers. However, when compared with the city resident income tax and the cost of a monthly train ticket, you would still spend less money on an inexpensive vehicle and insurance, fuel, and maintenance, especially as you would not need to drive much during the week.

Queens and Brooklyn look fine, until there's a breakdown getting to Grand Central, or you miss the subway train, and then when you get to GCT, you have missed your morning train by a few minutes. The hassles of the daily commute, and expense of a monthly Metro Card and Metro-North monthly ticket would outweigh the benefits of living in Queens, since Queens is not really that different than Tarrytown in many neighborhoods. Brooklyn can be different, but not for your projected rent range, but the hassle of a commute is not outweighed by the borough, especially as you do not have established ties in the neighborhood, such as owning a condo in Brooklyn Heights, where you need to make the commute work. Living in either borough is not worth the expense, both in terms of time and money, especially compared with Tarrytown.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
OP, I think if you desire the stereotypical "city-life" (i.e. partying in Midtown, Lower East Side, etc.), then living in the Bronx and commuting upward to Tarrytown won't fulfill those needs. You'll find that the daily grind of taking the Metro-North to be quite dull and stressful. It's also the reverse commute, so you're less likely to find other young, single folks (that demographic tends to travel INTO the city for work and live outside of it due to cost).

Furthermore, I classify Tarrytown (and Westchester, in general) as its own animal. You can't compare it on an apples-to-apples basis with NYC itself. Heck, you can't even properly compare Tarrytown against other cities/towns within Westchester.

Also, commuting down to the City 2-3 times a month is actually very infrequent in the bigger scheme of things. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't base my (future) living situation off of the fact that I have to travel 10% of the time to NYC.

All of that said, it's not impossible for you to live in the City and commute to Tarrytown for work, if you wish. People do a similar commute and travel into Stamford, CT for work (which is also about 45 minute Metro-North ride before Subway/Transfers are factored in).

Lastly, and correct me if you think I'm wrong, but I think living without a car anywhere in Westchester would be quite challenging. Do-able, but you wouldn't be able to fully experience Westchester. Plus, you would be a burden on your co-workers if you hitched a daily ride since there will be times that they can't/won't go into the office when you need to.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 7,835 times
Hi guys
Thanks for the great info guys. Really appreciate your great throughts.
Tarrytown is a nice town, but it's not convenient for me, since I want to go hang out with my friends in the city sometimes during the week as well. And metro north train stops running at 2AM? So definitely no night life if I live in Tarrytown. I checked out couple apartments in Yonkers and definitely not worth the money at all, plus Yonkers area around Metro North RR seems not to be that safe for a young female to walk around at night.
I did consider getting a car if I end up living somewhere in Westchester, but I still have to pay for parking+metro north fare+subway fare if I have to go to the city (at least 2-3 days week to hang out). That's why I think it'd still be cheaper if I live in Upper East Side Manhattan/Bronx and pay metro north fare + city income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City