Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,211 times

Advertisements

Good news for tenants? Not so sure about that. I have no desire to rent my place out to strangers. But now my neighbors are able to do so? I'd prefer not to hear people dragging suitcases down the hall at 11pm, and using the apartment next to me as a party pad. Not saying everyone does it, but many people do. You shouldn't be living somewhere that you can't afford without renting the place out. If that includes all of NYC for some people, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Good news for tenants. I know the pro landlord group will be upset that tenants could make more money off an apartment than a landlord, and can only be kicked off if told by a landlord to stop and they keep doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 03:50 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
So, what this means is that the tenant can breach, but if he/or she corrects/cures the breach, then he/she can't be evicted. If that's the case.....

Pro Tenant.....
1. Can stay in apartment
2. Correction made could save from further litigation

Against Tenant.....
1. Long-term damage to tenant/relationship!
2. LL might not renew lease

Pro LL.....
1. Correction made could avoid further litigation
2. Remember him/her when lease is up

Against LL.....
1. Can't get tenant out right away if tenant corrected breach
2. Definition of what's "curable" could be ruled to be different from LL's definition

Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
That's not what the judge ruled at all.

The judge ruled that the tenant couldn't be evicted because she had stopped using Airbnb--that is, because she had cured the alleged breach of her lease. The landlord's position was that if a tenant used Airbnb, that was grounds for eviction even once she stopped.

The judge didn't address whether it was legal for the tenant to use Airbnb in the first place because it wasn't at issue in the case, as the tenant had already stopped. However, most courts that have addressed that issue have found that it's illegal.
But what if they stop and start and stop and start? How many chances do you get?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:40 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But what if they stop and start and stop and start? How many chances do you get?
Reading around law journals about curable violations that does seem to be a question.

If a tenant is subletting on Airbnb and is found out and ordered to cease. Then six months or a year later starts again is that a new "case" or part of the original?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Yippee! I always though the restriction was disgraceful, a sop to hotel corporations. Of course, buildings should be able to restrict a bit, but it shouldn't be enshrined in law.

Thanks for the news.

Naturally, the downside is that we'll be getting a lot of disaster tales of people who were idiots with their sub letters.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Good news for tenants? Not so sure about that. I have no desire to rent my place out to strangers. But now my neighbors are able to do so? I'd prefer not to hear people dragging suitcases down the hall at 11pm, and using the apartment next to me as a party pad. Not saying everyone does it, but many people do. You shouldn't be living somewhere that you can't afford without renting the place out. If that includes all of NYC for some people, so be it.
All over the country people have boarders and roommates dude. That's just the way things are.

Nearly all college students and recent graduates have roommates.

So if you can't stand the idea that some of your neighbors are renting out to others, it is you who should move out to a remote area in the wilderness. After all, even in a rent stabilized apartment one can legally rent out to one unrelated adult and that is the law (on a monthly basis). This ruling just allows tenants to rent out short term to others until their landlords tell them to stop.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,203 times
Definitely comes with pros and cons but I haven't had any bad experiences with airBnB so far. Let's hope it stays that way.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Update:That "Major" Airbnb Court Ruling? Not So Major After All | Co-op & Condo Boards | Habitat Magazine

Old 07-01-2014, 10:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Thanks for straightening out the POST, Bugsy...not easy to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Before I saw the correction I was going to mention the Rent Stabilization law which very much limits the profit a tenant can make with a sublease. Some small amount like +10, +15% (been a while since I checked.)

I am on the horns of a dilemma and would like to do some travelling but I know the cost of hotels is SOOO prohibitive. I would like the idea of switching apartments with someone in London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna for a month or two and I have a decent accommodation that would be a fair trade. But I am petrified of coming home to a trashed apartment.

I would treat any place that I go like it was my own, but if I came home to a wreckage, I'd be shattered. I don't have much but I like it.

Has anyone ever done a short term apartment switch?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Now my question is will owners be allowed to specifically write into lease that tenant cannot sublease through an arrangement like what they do with Airbnb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: