Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 11,776 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I currently live in Astoria, and while I can afford to live in my 2 bdrm apartment, I just feel like I'm paying way too much and have too much space that I really don't need right now as a single student. I can't afford to do anything other than pay bills and buy film for class!

I found a nice room/apartment with a great roommate around the Bedford/Parkside intersection, at a price 500$ less than what I'm paying now, including utilities! However, I've only been there a few times, during the day. I tried looking up some past threads on here about the neighborhood, but a lot of them are from a few years ago, and I know how quickly things can change. I was kind of surprised to see so many joggers when I was walking from the Parkside Q stop.

My potential roommate was pretty open about the crime she'd heard about recently, and I guess the apartment I'd be moving into got hit about a year ago, but the landlord has tightened the security since that happened. I've lived in crap neighborhoods before, but I didn't get the same feeling here. It seems pretty average - be aware, don't flash gadgets, etc.

I'm a woman (30), and work a late shift once a week, so I'd be getting to the Parkside Q around 10:30pm, and of course there'll be nights out where I'll be coming home after 4 am. I'm just wondering how safe it'll be walking by myself for a couple blocks at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 11:20 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Stay in Astoria.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjubik View Post

My potential roommate was pretty open about the crime she'd heard about recently, and I guess the apartment I'd be moving into got hit about a year ago, but the landlord has tightened the security since that happened. I've lived in crap neighborhoods before, but I didn't get the same feeling here. It seems pretty average - be aware, don't flash gadgets, etc.
WTF is wrong with people who treat these things like it's a game of candy crush?

"Like yeah, there were several rapes in the building, but it's ok, I'm saving $500"

Stay in Astoria.... PLEASE!!!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:54 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Why not start with looking for a one bedroom or studio apartment in Astoria first? It is definitely the better nabe. All that PLG has going for it is its proximity to Prospect Park. Am I reading this right that this same PLG apartment just got robbed last year? Maybe that is why the room is now available.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 11,776 times
I'm not treating it like a game of candy crush, what does that even mean? All I meant was that I asked her, and she didn't try and hide it from me. She's lived in that apartment for 4 years and said that was what had happened but that it's generally safe, otherwise. I tried researching the area myself using the various crime websites and saw some robberies and muggings a few blocks away surrounding it (besides that one), but I see that same stuff when I look up where I live right now.

Anyway, the room is available because the current roommate is moving in with her boyfriend. Do any of you/have any of you lived there? I appreciate the responses and I actually am still trying to find places to look at in Astoria/LIC/Sunnyside and other areas in Brooklyn, however I can't look forever and most that I've looked at are either far from the trains, have weird roommates, or are out of my price range. This place seems pretty great for the price. I'd like some input from people who have actual living experience there.

But really, thank you for responding. I'll keep looking, I just don't want to pass up a good deal if I don't have to.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:47 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjubik View Post
Hey everyone. I currently live in Astoria, and while I can afford to live in my 2 bdrm apartment, I just feel like I'm paying way too much and have too much space that I really don't need right now as a single student. I can't afford to do anything other than pay bills and buy film for class!
I'm not understanding this. What's the real problem? Are you just looking for a friend to hangout with?

Why not just rent out your other bedroom? You'd be the one in charge.

That Parkside area I personally wouldn't feel comfortable coming from the train late nights. I've come off the Prospect Leffert's stop late a few times with only a few others getting off too but once out of the station everyone went different directions and scattered fast. It's pretty dark and desolate with some late nighters (usually waiting for the bus) aways down by Dunking Donuts and Popeyes but other areas no movement.

Different parts of Flatbush have experienced shootings due to gangbangers, the most recent one was the kid who got shot in the face blinding him in one eye. It's not rampant but rears it's ugly head from time to time. I'm in the vicinity from time to time going to one of the markets and Western Beef and pray nothing happens along the way.

That area too is experiencing more gentrification but I wouldn't feel comfortable traveling late nights alone in that area either w/o getting a taxi to my front door or male/steel protection.

Astoria is far better and I'm wondering if you can afford it why would you want to slum it?

Old 06-23-2014, 02:52 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post

Astoria is far better and I'm wondering if you can afford it why would you want to slum it?

I never understood this either. I guess it's because she can save $500.

More info would be nice, like what your budget is. You could also explore other areas including Bay Ridge, The Bronx, Inwood, or further out in Queens like Rego, or Forest Hills, instead of limiting yourself to said neighborhoods. NYC is more than a handful of hip neighborhoods. I would take anything in the Bronx over that area, as the quality of life issues during the DAY and the NIGHT are not pleasant.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:57 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,496 times
Oh, to be fair that Parkside stop might be just as the Prospect stop. One plus is the bus driver's break area over there but I don't know how it is in am hours since buses run very infrequently and it's around the corner from the train stop but you'd still have to get from there to your residence in one piece.

Don't know when the morning rush starts over there but depending 4 am there might be more people.

One good thing since Dunkin Donuts is near the cops usually ride through on Empire but that'll all depend on how close it would be to your path. Besides they seem to never be around when you really need them.

Last edited by luvnyc; 06-23-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 03:10 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
71st precinct has roughly the same amount of crime as the 114th precinct with half the amount of people. But forget stats, the OP wants feedback from someone that actually lived in the nabe, even if it is a hipster transplant that has lived there for a few months. Seriously though, that person in PLG should be thinking about moving into the extra bedroom you have in Astoria. I'd suggest walking east on Parkside a half mile or so to get a better feel. Or maybe walk up and down Flatbush ave a few times at night.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Aside from the crime worries - you won't want to venture anywhere in the neighborhood come Labor Day weekend. The neighborhood is changing, no doubt about that - but a big crime element still lingers. Parkside and Bedford is pretty busy and noisy anyway, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. To me Parkside Avenue on the Q is still grimey - especially the block between Ocean and Flatbush.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City