Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM

428 posts, read 970,209 times

Advertisements

We're the landlords showing the property and have been for 2 weeks. There are tons of photos/info/pricing/information spelled out online. I receive 1-2 calls/emails per day and people show up to view the apt. No one has bitten yet. How long does this usually take? I know that it depends on price/location, but people know all of this info as they're reading the ad and they can see the photos (the place is empty/clean).

What could be going wrong? Does it just take a while? Could it be smaller than it appears in photos? I did not use a specific "trick" lense or anything - I took honest photos. Could it be because it's too early to rent for Aug 1st (not looking to rent before)?

How long before I should re-think/lower the price/make a change? Don't want to jump too early b/c we're not in a huge rush to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 05:59 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
We're the landlords showing the property and have been for 2 weeks. There are tons of photos/info/pricing/information spelled out online. I receive 1-2 calls/emails per day and people show up to view the apt. No one has bitten yet. How long does this usually take? I know that it depends on price/location, but people know all of this info as they're reading the ad and they can see the photos (the place is empty/clean).

What could be going wrong? Does it just take a while? Could it be smaller than it appears in photos? I did not use a specific "trick" lense or anything - I took honest photos. Could it be because it's too early to rent for Aug 1st (not looking to rent before)?

How long before I should re-think/lower the price/make a change? Don't want to jump too early b/c we're not in a huge rush to rent.
Probably the price.In the current rental market anything will rent in a very short period of time,like a week,if it is priced correctly.If something doesn't move,it's priced too high.

The biggest mistake people make,both when selling and renting,is setting the price too high.It rarely works and by the time you lower the price the place has become shop worn.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:04 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:

How much, how many bedrooms and what neighborhood? Can we get some specifics?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-23-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Probably the price.In the current rental market anything will rent in a very short period of time,like a week,if it is priced correctly.If something doesn't move,it's priced too high.

The biggest mistake people make,both when selling and renting,is setting the price too high.It rarely works and by the time you lower the price the place has become shop worn.
huh, interested. What is shop worn? I think I have an idea - but if "worn," won't there always be new people looking at ads/new eyes on the rental property?

We don't really know how to handle as this is first time we're renting but we set the price the same as other properties in the area. We're getting the phone calls, and the photos/info is accurate. It's def. not a convenient location (out of the way), but they know the exact location before they call, so that's why I ask.

Thanks so much for your response.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:14 PM

257 posts, read 685,251 times
Yeah, mid-June for renting in August... I've never found an apartment more than two weeks before moving in. That could be the reason why you don't get many calls and emails. As for the people who do come to see it and don't bite (who should be OK with the August move-in date) - probably price.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Yeah, mid-June for renting in August... I've never found an apartment more than two weeks before moving in. That could be the reason why you don't get many calls and emails. As for the people who do come to see it and don't bite (who should be OK with the August move-in date) - probably price.
Ah, ok. Makes sense. Thank you!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
huh, interested. What is shop worn?

We don't really know how to handle as this is first time we're renting but we set the price the same as other properties in the area. We're getting the phone calls, and the photos/info is accurate. It's def. not a convenient location (out of the way), but they know the exact location before they call, so that's why I ask.

Thanks so much for your response.
It gets seen in the first week or two by the vast majority of people seriously looking for an apartment in a certain neighborhood in a certain price range.If the price gets lowered later they don't come back.They have already moved on or formed a negative opinion.That's why sometimes when places don't rent or sell,after a while owners take them off the market for a period before lowering the price and listing again.

People who are actively in the market quickly form opinions about places.Often,if a place is advertised week after week and it doesn't rent people assume that there is something wrong and don't even bother to look.They say "oh look,that place is still for rent,it must be a dump or it must be overpriced even though they have never seen it.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It gets seen in the first week or two by the vast majority of people seriously looking for an apartment in a certain neighborhood in a certain price range.If the price gets lowered later they don't come back.They have already moved on or formed a negative opinion.That's why sometimes when places don't rent or sell,after a while owners take them off the market for a period before lowering the price and listing again.

People who are actively in the market quickly form opinions about places.Often,if a place is advertised week after week and it doesn't rent people assume that there is something wrong and don't even bother to look.They say "oh look,that place is still for rent,it must be a dump" even though they have never seen it.
Thanks! You recommend we lower the price now? I'm fairly confident it's not a dump and worth the price - and that MAYBE I listed it too early for August 1st. But of course, I could be wrong.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,931 times
Could you show us pics please?

Does the apartment have odd angles in the rooms? Are rooms too small? How many windows? Lighting? What's the view out the windows. What surrounds the apartment? What floor is it on? Are neighbors loud, smelley, or dirty? Are you a picky LL (by picky I mean just look up some of SoBro's old posts, lol)?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Could you show us pics please?

Does the apartment have odd angles in the rooms? Are rooms too small? How many windows? Lighting? What's the view out the windows. What surrounds the apartment? What floor is it on? Are neighbors loud, smelley, or dirty? Are you a picky LL (by picky I mean just look up some of SoBro's old posts, lol)?
Rooms are small, yes. Windows all over the apt (3 bedrooms and several windows throughout living area). This is a two-family house and we're renting the apt. on second level. It's a clean block, houses on either side. Second floor - all of this is shown in the photos and mentioned in my information. Just picky about background/credit/income like any LL. I don't say anything different in person when showing the apt. than what it says in my listing (I was very thorough on the listing). It could be a combination of smaller rooms/too early, I suppose. B/c even with your questions/my answers, it seems my place is still pretty fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City