Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
This historically low increase is a win for tenants. The populist rage is making the tenants appear like they're on the losing end. Obviously BDB's class warfare has stirred up resentment and an expectation that free cheese is always right around the corner.There might as well have been a complete freeze because this increase will be close to negligible for landlords.
The city council president (whatever her name is; she makes De Bonzo look like a Reagan Republican) is crying because there was no freeze. She truly believes (she is not posturing) that a 1% increase is a huge concession to the big bad landlords. Hard to believe this idiot has the political position she has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Yeah, but if the windows, boiler and roof have already been replaced, where are the MCI fees.

And didn't they change the pass-through from 1/40 of the cost to 1/60 of the cost? May not be worth it.
Not only that but to get an MCI increase, the LL has to front the money for the repair. If its a big ticket item, what if he doesn't have the liquid cash to do the MCI? Then what? Take a loan to do an MCI improvement but then pay interest on that money. Makes no sense.

An MCI increase is not the right strategy to us. You have to resort to old fashion cutting of the services and maintenance. Plain and simple.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Actually this nominal increase is a lose for below market RS tenant as LLs will neglect any maintenance and repairs in their apartment. I know I will. And so will other LLs.
Enjoy dealing with city inspectors coming by all the time, slapping fines on you. Enjoy housing court. You'll be cost even more money if you neglect repairs and the city busts you (plus court costs from being sued by your tenants).

Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I think what the LL's should do is make copies of all their water and sewer, real estate, property taxes, insurance bills and let the tenants know how much this crap cost. The tenants seem to be completely oblivious to what the LL has to pay out and just doesn't sit around collecting rents all day long.

A 1% increase is a freaking joke. As a Co-Op owner. I get all the financial reports and I see how much everything costs. Do any of these moron tenants know how much fuel and insurance for a building costs? Obviously not. They seem to have no clue. They need to be clued in, maybe they will get it.

I saw the tenants screaming about the increase on the TV, I look at them and think, you have got to be kidding me, 1%, and you are unhappy? Unbelieveable.

Why do these RS tenants think they are entitled to anything?, why?, because they live in the same apt for 30 years, that is supposed to give them special rights???? Newsflash, it doesn't. If you can't afford your apartment, then move, or get a another job.

I wish they would do away with RC and RS once and for all.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:08 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Enjoy dealing with city inspectors coming by all the time, slapping fines on you. Enjoy housing court. You'll be cost even more money if you neglect repairs and the city busts you (plus court costs from being sued by your tenants).
No they won't. I guarantee you. Let's just say I have to get creative and think outside the box. I'll leave it at that.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:20 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think what the LL's should do is make copies of all their water and sewer, real estate, property taxes, insurance bills and let the tenants know how much this crap cost. The tenants seem to be completely oblivious to what the LL has to pay out and just doesn't sit around collecting rents all day long.

A 1% increase is a freaking joke. As a Co-Op owner. I get all the financial reports and I see how much everything costs. Do any of these moron tenants know how much fuel and insurance for a building costs? Obviously not. They seem to have no clue. They need to be clued in, maybe they will get it.

I saw the tenants screaming about the increase on the TV, I look at them and think, you have got to be kidding me, 1%, and you are unhappy? Unbelieveable.

Why do these RS tenants think they are entitled to anything?, why?, because they live in the same apt for 30 years, that is supposed to give them special rights???? Newsflash, it doesn't. If you can't afford your apartment, then move, or get a another job.

I wish they would do away with RC and RS once and for all.
That was a hot mess wasn't it? I was watching the news this morning and shaking my head.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
No they won't. I guarantee you. Let's just say I have to get creative and think outside the box. I'll leave it at that.
This sounds illegal. Illegal as in criminal slum lord stuff. Not making repairs or maintanance as required by law and saying one's willing to use "tactics" to skirt the law. We may very well read about you in the papers, Hilltop, and in a not pleasant way.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 AM

By the way, shady landlord or not, if say someone's pipes are leaking and you don't fix them, 311 will repeatedly come by to check to see if the repairs have taken place. The fines will rack up substantially no matter what you claim on this board.

If there really is something that needs to be fixed and you don't fix it, housing court can send in their own inspectors. The tenant can take pictures and have other documentation ready. And you'd better hope no one gets hurt because you didn't make a repair. Your insurance company will hate you for it.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:02 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
That was a hot mess wasn't it? I was watching the news this morning and shaking my head.

Wasn't it??

They were screaming like a pack of animals, especially this one woman, and I was thinking, your screaming over 1 %?????? There is something wrong with you people!

I just cant for the life of me, understand why they think their rent shouldn't be increased every year?
My manitenance does go up from time to time, and that's because of rising fuel and building costs, do they think the LL is just supposed to suck it up and the tenant is supposed to live there cheaply forever and ever.......for all eternity?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:12 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Wasn't it??

They were screaming like a pack of animals, especially this one woman, and I was thinking, your screaming over 1 %?????? There is something wrong with you people!

I just cant for the life of me, understand why they think their rent shouldn't be increased every year?
My manitenance does go up from time to time, and that's because of rising fuel and building costs, do they think the LL is just supposed to suck it up and the tenant is supposed to live there cheaply forever and ever.......for all eternity?
Yea I don't get it. I have little sympathy for people paying next to nothing in rent while I pay probably double what they do. Granted, I pay my own utilities and all the apartments I have lived in have had landlords who haven't increased me. My last place I lived in was from 2005-2012 and I never got raised, ever. But this was a private house and I paid my own utilities. But landlord was cool never to raise me.

It all boils down to people expecting a handout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City