Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 02:07 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I mean you can call me w/e you please, but it doesn't change the fact that you have a huge opinion on something that doesn't concern you, especially when it's negative. Just makes you seem butt hurt about the topic.

And going back to your first comment you did imply that people laugh at New Yorkers who think they Are hip for buying expensive clothes.

That's where your low knowledge on fashion comes to show.

What do you mean "doesn't concern me"? Wtf are you talking about? That's what I'm trying to understand from the two of you. Anything "concerns" anybody if they want it to. It's a f'n discussion forum. Anybody can comment. The internet. It's magical like that. Just because you're some sort of self proclaimed fashion guru doesn't mean that only folks who...I don't even know...are up on the latest trends I guess, can comment on such threads. You need to get over yourself, man. That's the first step.

And I already explained what my first comment means. Read it again up above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 03:39 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I wear dark washed 501's, white or color tees, boots or casual sneakers, crew neck sweaters or thermals when it's cool out. Not baggy, and well fitted.
You may not realize it, but judging by this YOU are actually an example of how New Yorkers are more fashionable than other Americans.

Spend some time in the Midwest, you will see.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:58 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
You may not realize it, but judging by this YOU are actually an example of how New Yorkers are more fashionable than other Americans.

Spend some time in the Midwest, you will see.
I've spent plenty of time all around the country. I'll concede that the only difference is that I prefer my jeans dark washed. Always have. Some people out there don't. Including here. Otherwise, boots or sneakers, white tees, thermals...dude everybody wears and has worn that stuff everywhere for as long as any of us here can remember.

If you're talking about backwoods Appalachia hicks, then sure. I agree with you. Those mf's are basically a different species though. Who else? Homeboys in Gary, Indiana? Not talking about them either. Speaking to the regular guy in Anytown, USA. Neither him or I rush to the fashion mags each season to get a head start on the latest trend. We wear what we like and what we're comfortable in. As long as you're even remotely decent looking, you'll look good and women will dig that.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I've spent plenty of time all around the country. I'll concede that the only difference is that I prefer my jeans dark washed. Always have. Some people out there don't. Including here. Otherwise, boots or sneakers, white tees, thermals...dude everybody wears and has worn that stuff everywhere for as long as any of us here can remember.

If you're talking about backwoods Appalachia hicks, then sure. I agree with you. Those mf's are basically a different species though. Who else? Homeboys in Gary, Indiana? Not talking about them either. Speaking to the regular guy in Anytown, USA. Neither him or I rush to the fashion mags each season to get a head start on the latest trend. We wear what we like and what we're comfortable in. As long as you're even remotely decent looking, you'll look good and women will dig that.
Yeah "fashionable" was the wrong word. In general New Yorkers do care more about how they dress than most Americans though, and fashion is part of that for some people. Look around on the subway, 90 percent of people from skaters to construction workers to Chinese grandmas have clearly made some aesthetic decisions about what to wear. That's not the case where I grew up (upper Midwest). I think the upper Midwest is especially bad though. The south seems to be a little better dressed.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:33 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
How far ahead (months, years, a decade, etc) is NYC when compared to the rest of the country in terms of culture and fashion? Is it ahead at all? Why or why not?
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but for "urban" (Black) trends at least 5 to 10 years. The differences may not be as severe as they used to be back in the eighties and nineties though.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
How far ahead (months, years, a decade, etc) is NYC when compared to the rest of the country in terms of culture and fashion? Is it ahead at all? Why or why not?
Historically the bulk of the fashion industry has been out of cities like New York and LA, especially New York. Thus the reasons why fashion in those cities is ahead of other metro areas. Americans care about fashion to an extent, but to be completely honest ever since the recession fashion has turned into luxury. Back in the nineties when we had "cheap money" people had the disposable income to support their aesthetic proclivities. But now fashion is a luxury; I find that I can find the same stuff I used to spend hundreds on back in the nineties in thrift shops. I'm just not into fashion like I used to be; I like quality, I like a good fit and I am pretty conservative with my choices. I am stuck in that Ralph Lauren/prep/wasp phase. I tried the whole "metro" thing in the last decade but found a lot of that to be hype, and clothing that was not as well constructed.

So those that care about fashion, that are obsessed with fashion, and those whose job it is to care about fashion generally push it off to everyone else. I have always perceived fashion, for the average person, as this; "well it is different than what I was doing, and seems cool and outside of the box, so I'll do this from now on". And it continues on for several seasons until something else is pushed off onto them. But your average person is not starting any trends, and does not want to.

For myself it is more of a reflection of how I feel. If I rely on what the next man is doing I'll never be comfortable within my own skin. I'm from the Midwest, so we have more natural, earthy, colors in our fashion. Colors of soil, of nature, of the mountains and lakes, of our surroundings. There are people that dress in Black, or monochromatic but it does not translate the same as it would in NYC.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:06 PM

233 posts, read 344,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but for "urban" (Black) trends at least 5 to 10 years. The differences may not be as severe as they used to be back in the eighties and nineties though.
Yes, this is the type of info that I'm trying to find out!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:47 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
In my experience over the last three decades, traveling to Paris two times a year on average, Manhattan is two to three years behind Paris in fashion, clothes and hair, trends and two years ahead of the rest of our country. Culture is too nebulous to assess. What do you mean by culture?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-03-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: