U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 10,475 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a parent of a 3 year old autistic child. In the last few weeks we were looking at preschools for our child for CPSE placement. I think these schools are like private daycares for children with disabilities, but the City supports the cost of education. We visited about 5-6 preschools in different areas of Queens: Bayside, Douglaston, Flushing, Whitestone, Long Island City.

What we noticed that in all of these schools the vast majority of kids were minorities. We don't have any problem with this, but we were puzzled as to why there were very few white children in these schools. I came up with several explanations:

1. Parents of white kids are prejudiced against public school system, viewing it as lower quality then private schools. They would rather prefer to enroll their child into a private school even if it costs them an arm and a leg. I also read that many are so scared and scarred of the whole CPSE process and bureaucracy, that they rather move out to the suburbs, where such services are easier to get. Are any of these true? I found many white people have an irrational fear of public schools in general.

2. Are such disabilities more prevalent among minorities? I don't think so, autism cases have been rising fast for all ethnic groups lately.

3. Does the CPSE openly or secretly favor minorities for placement within their program? Do they take into account maybe level of income, family situation (single parent) and decide that is better to help someone whose family doesn't have as many resources as other families. I don't have a problem with this, if this would be their official policy. But I think by law they are required to offer assistance to any children with disabilities and it also seems that the rise in autism cases is overwhelming them.

Thank you for any insights you might have!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City