Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,662 times

Advertisements

I live on the first floor of a 3 floor house. The floor that I live in is quite literally the garage of a 2 story house. Anyways, I have lived here for about 3 years now with my girlfriend and dog, which is the main reason we even chose to stay here because of the huge backyard. Our side (the left side) has a main door and side door to the backyard. The right side of the garage has until recently been just a storage space for the landlord who lives on the second floor. About 5 months ago, just about a day before we had planned on leaving for a month long vacation, my landlord approaches us and tells us that he has to come and install "something" and subsequently afterwards take it out. Upon further questioning, he told us that it was a "door". At the time, we didn't think anything of it as we had no reason to believe he would do anything questionable and he just said he wanted to make a bathroom for his grandchildren. Thinking back, I now understand why, it was because he wanted to get approval from the department of buildings to make a bathroom for the right side of the garage by getting the inspectors to think it was in fact just going to be one family living in the entire garage apartment. Even after we had come back from vacation and up until now nothing had happened so we just figured he had made the bathroom for his grandchildren to use because they had used the right side as a "play room" before. Just a couple days ago a "group" of people moved in, YES, at least 3 just in the right side apartment. Our apartment is small for just me and my girlfriend, but we have access to the backyard, their apartment is even SMALLER than ours. The walls are so thin that we can hear everything they say or do!!! Now, I am wondering if there is anything I can do, such as, anonymously report him or get housing inspectors to come, or something. It is definitely illegal to have the set-up as such because there are only 3 electrical boxes and gas lines, one for the first, second, and third floor apartments. PLEASE tell me I'm not crazy thinking this. What can I do?? Should I get a lawyer, or can I just ask the department of buildings to give them some sort of notice or fine so that he asks them to leave???

P.S. He never removed the door from our apartment. He just covered it on OUR side and left it the way it is on the right side, probably, to make it seem like a one family apartment IF someone came to see.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Report him.
311 | City of New York

If they do not come, report again.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,662 times
I tried calling earlier but no answer, go figure, that's New York for you. I'll give it a try again, though, thanks for such a quick reply.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy08820 View Post
I tried calling earlier but no answer, go figure, that's New York for you. I'll give it a try again, though, thanks for such a quick reply.
Post your complaint on the web site. Don't need to wait for calling, although I would do that as well. I would also be persistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: