Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:41 PM

106 posts, read 245,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I think what they meant was that a lot of the places aren't actually part of the L.A city limits.
Those cities are part of LA. It wouldn't be fair if we only talk about downtown LA, that's a pretty small area, it's like talking about Lower Manhattan only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 02:48 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
people are talking about how spread out Los Angeles is, but I see it like you have more options there, you don't have to go all around the county to make a living, you can just live and stay in Pasadena for example, it has a downtown, lots of activities and very nice areas, or live in Santa Monica, which has a downtown too and it's a very lively city, or Glendale or Venice, and also there are a lot of public transportation too.

About the ghetto areas, well, you don't have to go south central.

I don't live in LA.

You really don't know LA, if you believe the only ghetto place is South Central.

Most of the city is GHETTO.

There are only a handful of places in LA that could be considered wealthy or middle class.

The true fact of the matter is that most of the city is a blight and poverty stricken.

Especially in Pasadena, Santa Monica (millions of homeless), Venice (millions of homeless), just about everywhere. The only place where poverty and homeless individuals is limited is Malibu. One, because it's far out on the edge of nowhere and two, you can only take the 405 in and out. There are no shortcuts.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 PM

106 posts, read 245,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You really don't know LA, if you believe the only ghetto place is South Central.

Especially in Pasadena, Santa Monica (millions of homeless), Venice (millions of homeless), just about everywhere.
Millions of homeless in Pasadena??!! Look at this to see how safe Pasadena is:
Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data

Also Pasadena just was named the snobbiest city in America, not that I like that title, but it means that it's quite far from poverty. I wouldn't call Santa Monica or Venice poor areas either.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Hi, I'm just curious about what a typical (or not) new yorker thinks about the Los Angeles area, cities, their people, and if you have been in a specific city, what you think about it, what you like and dislike; and what city in LA is your favorite, if any.
Thanks.
I have family members and relatives in L.A. So I visit frequently. What I like most about L.A. is the great weather most of the year. What I dislike most is that without a car it is difficult to get around to many areas of the city.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:51 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:

Most of the city is GHETTO.

There are only a handful of places in LA that could be considered wealthy or middle class.

The true fact of the matter is that most of the city is a blight and poverty stricken.

Especially in Pasadena, Santa Monica (millions of homeless), Venice (millions of homeless), just about everywhere. The only place where poverty and homeless individuals is limited is Malibu. One, because it's far out on the edge of nowhere and two, you can only take the 405 in and out. There are no shortcuts.
I thought you liked LA? Do you think most of NYC is ghetto?

Old 07-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Millions of homeless in Pasadena??!! Look at this to see how safe Pasadena is:
Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data

Also Pasadena just was named the snobbiest city in America, not that I like that title, but it means that it's quite far from poverty. I wouldn't call Santa Monica or Venice poor areas either.
I didn't say million were homeless in Pasadena. I said Santa Monica and Venice. Maybe they're not poor, but a ton of "poor" people frequent the area non stop. They either live on the streets or in their cars or vans. For a supposed to be wealthy area, Santa Monica had a huge and very visible homeless MALE population just about everywhere. This is FACT.

But...I did see Old Pasadena and it's GHETTO.

I actually LIVED in Los Angeles and visited almost everywhere, except the known ratchets - east LA, compton, south central, watts, Long Beach (please don't tell me how it's changed - it ran along the Blue line and nothing but loud ratchets would get off the stop at 7th street and Metro to connect with the "civilized" redline which is why they had a ton of cops patrolling the station), and crenshaw.

I've been to Alvarado down by the MacArthur Park area, Koreatown (ghetto and dirty), Hollywood, Larchmont, West Hollywood, West LA, BH, Santa Monica, Venice, Sherman Oaks, Downtown LA by Grant Hill (where the huge buildings are), etc., and Studio City (my favorite place).

What I did find disconcerting about the place is that you will meet people who were born and raised in the area who NEVER venture outside of their local domains, unless it's to go to work. I guess they don't have to, but I could never live someplace all my life and never venture out to other places. I've been to every borough in NYC, even Staten Island once or twice.

I also don't really consider Pasadena, Altadena and all those places a part of what I consider the "City of LA". I consider those places to be the equivalent of what Long Island, Mount Vernon and the other suburbs are to us here in NYC.

You can basically drive around for hours and NOT get anywhere.

Last edited by marilyn220; 07-01-2014 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I thought you liked LA? Do you think most of NYC is ghetto?
I think most of NYC is barely hanging on and poverty stricken, but not "ghetto".

People can still live in nice or decent neighborhoods here and be struggling as hell to put food on the table, pay bills and get by. Everyone I know dreads having to renew their lease, because it means an extra $100 or so in rent they really can't spare.

But I don't consider the buildings or neighborhoods "blighted" like I did in Los Angeles.

And YES, even with the poverty in LA, I would STILL live there, because I liked the people and the chill atmosphere.

No one judges you there. There just aren't enough good paying jobs to sustain most people. For example, I'm too old to have a "roommate" situation. I need my OWN place. Damn near everyone I knew lived with someone. Hardly anyone had their own apartments like I did and it wasn't like my rents were all that high like they are here. The salaries are low wage. The best way to survive in LA is to have your own business or a ton of side gigs going on.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:01 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
I think most of NYC is barely hanging on and poverty stricken, but not "ghetto".

People can still live in nice or decent neighborhoods here and be struggling as hell to put food on the table, pay bills and get by. Everyone I know dreads having to renew their lease, because it means an extra $100 or so in rent they really can't spare.

But I don't consider the buildings or neighborhoods "blighted" like I did in Los Angeles.

And YES, even with the poverty in LA, I would STILL live there, because I liked the people and the chill atmosphere.

No one judges you there. There just aren't enough good paying jobs to sustain most people. For example, I'm too old to have a "roommate" situation. I need my OWN place. Damn near everyone I knew lived with someone. Hardly anyone had their own apartments like I did and it wasn't like my rents were all that high like they are here. The salaries are low wage. The best way to survive in LA is to have your own business or a ton of side gigs going on.
I hear you. I hope we can both find jobs out there.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:17 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Those cities are part of LA. It wouldn't be fair if we only talk about downtown LA, that's a pretty small area, it's like talking about Lower Manhattan only.
Hmmm interesting because one of the posters compared the LA county to philly/NYC/jersey combined.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:20 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:

Yea my friend who was in the army told me the wages in La do not keep up with the COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City