Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times

Advertisements

APVBGUY..I dont expect anyone to do anything. It is a free country and everyone can live wherever they choose, for the most part.

Furthermore, I understand the draw of the suburbs..they serve their purpose and provide a COMPLETELY different lifestyle than what is offered in the city. However, the discussion is not about moving people from 2 manicured acres, 5 bedroom, 3 bath house, with inground pool and cabanas into the Bronx...although I am sure someone has done it. The discussion is about those already living in the city, like Mead, who claims that if the projects could be guranteed 25% white and offered cheaply...that white people would move in (that is his assertion based on him moving in under those conditions).

Of course I disagree because the Bronx is already at rock bottom prices and yet very few are choosing to move there...so clearly there is more to it than pricing. So I acknowledge the challenges the Bronx faces, as it is now more of a class issue..with race being somewhat secondary. However, I see the Bronx, and most areas of the city revitalizing, and middle/working class people CHOOSING to stay..rather than flee as they once did...as housing and amenities are now targeting them.

Whether this will ultimately maintain the middle class from fleeing to "greener" pastures has yet to be seen..but the changes that are occurring in places like the Bronx are specifically targeted to the working/middle class....so only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
people who need to sleep at night in order to go to work the next day will not want to live with welfare recipients who can party all night.
Oh so true.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Lol....I agreee DAS..but thats an easy remedy...the magic of 311! I have used it several times and the cops ALWAYS shut them down..and its anonymous...easy as pie.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:42 PM

19 posts, read 66,586 times
I assure you 009 it is true about Howard Houses. I work for the City that's how I know about it.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:09 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
APVBGUY..I dont expect anyone to do anything. It is a free country and everyone can live wherever they choose, for the most part.

Furthermore, I understand the draw of the suburbs..they serve their purpose and provide a COMPLETELY different lifestyle than what is offered in the city. However, the discussion is not about moving people from 2 manicured acres, 5 bedroom, 3 bath house, with inground pool and cabanas into the Bronx...although I am sure someone has done it. The discussion is about those already living in the city, like Mead, who claims that if the projects could be guranteed 25% white and offered cheaply...that white people would move in (that is his assertion based on him moving in under those conditions).

Of course I disagree because the Bronx is already at rock bottom prices and yet very few are choosing to move there...so clearly there is more to it than pricing. So I acknowledge the challenges the Bronx faces, as it is now more of a class issue..with race being somewhat secondary. However, I see the Bronx, and most areas of the city revitalizing, and middle/working class people CHOOSING to stay..rather than flee as they once did...as housing and amenities are now targeting them.

Whether this will ultimately maintain the middle class from fleeing to "greener" pastures has yet to be seen..but the changes that are occurring in places like the Bronx are specifically targeted to the working/middle class....so only time will tell.
I finally agree with you! LOL.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:01 AM

34,016 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear11226 View Post
Yes it's true, there are housing projects in NYC being closed, the tenants being pushed and relocated to other housing projects, and then renovated into co-ops, condos, and high cost apartments.

Take for example the former Vanderveer projects near Flatbush/Nostrand Junction, where tenants were moved out, the place was renovated, and turned into what's now called Brooklyn Gardens!

Another example is in Howard houses in Brownsville where one of the buildings was converted into condo as a "test" to see the success of doing such a thing.

I'm sure there are other examples around the city.
do you know how much of that building in howard houses are occupied by homeowners? has it made a difference in the bldg?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 AM

I am unaware of the Howard Houses "test" of condo conversions...can you provide any further info on that...maybe an article??? Thanks.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
So this is actually happening?

From...Curbed: CurbedWire: Making Room for Karl Fischer on W. 13, Public Housing 'Transitioning' (http://curbed.com/archives/2008/04/21/curbedwire_making_room_for_karl_fischer_on_w_13_pu blic_housing_transitioning.php - broken link)

Quote:
EVERYWHERE—Sometimes half the fun of writing city government is seeing what kind of form e-mail comes back. Are reader writes: "I wrote the Mayor a letter (an email) via the NYC.gov website regarding my concerns about the housing projects. I expressed my opinion about the obvious drain on resources, and the less than stellar results of this program...I asked whether they have ever considered selling off some, or turning them into co-ops, or something similar. I received a letter a few weeks later indicating that the city is pursuing a number of options regarding housing projects, and that there are some test developments converting to ownership. Go to the website and send an email to the Mayor detailing the same sorts of questions regarding the housing projects. In a few weeks, you will receive the same, or similar, letter, with a list of the housing projects that are now in transition."

Old 04-23-2008, 06:52 AM

575 posts, read 1,515,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I hear persistent rumors about the housing projects being closed, not just in the Bronx but throughout the city also....residents being forced to leave..or that they are moving towards some sort of ownership in some way (co-op/condo). Can anyone confirm or deny any of these rumors?

They seem to persist and I would like an answer once and for all. With housing in high demand, it is hard to believe that the housing projects would close. However I would believe that the housing projects are moving towards a co-op/condo style, or meet stricter guidelines for residents (and those that cannot meet them would be forced to leave.)

Any help?
Yes, start with calling NYCHA and get the facts from them

Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 AM

Cyrus...how funny! I am the one that posted that comment on another thread about the housing projects being converted...and somehow it ended up on curbed. And for the record, the story is true...I just need to find the letter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City