Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
How about the zoo? The zoo in Central Park is small and just perfect for a 2 year old. There is a small children's zoo within that zoo. Otherwise go to the Bronx Zoo, the largest zoo in the US. Yes, it is bigger than the one in Balboa Park in San Diego. If that is too much for your child, then just go to the Bronz Zoo's children's zoo.

There are also short children's shows, puppet shows, etc. Some are free. Some require tickets. Then there is a wonderful children's museum in Manhattan that is all hands-on and has a theater for live events. Also the Hall of Science has toddler activities and an outdoor science playground in Flushing Meadows Park. When you are in Central Park, don't forget to take your child on the historic and beautiful carousel. And watch the model boats. Conservatory Water - The Official Website of Central Park NYC

There is a marvelous exhibit right now at the main library on children's literature from old classics like Alice and Wonderland to modern classics like The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Times Square has the big Toys R Store and there is also FAO Schwartz.

I'll admit that vacationing with a toddler is not a vacation. I think people who bring their toddlers to Disney are crazy unless they are going there because they also have older children as well.

If you are staying in Brooklyn, other suggestions would be the Prospect Park Zoo which is also small and perfect size for a toddler. Not too tiring to finish in a couple of hours and nearby is the beautiful Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Prospect Park.

Prospect Park Zoo

Brooklyn Botanic Garden

The Children's Garden in the New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx has activities for toddlers
Everett Children's Adventure Garden | NYBG

Brooklyn Cnildren's Museum
Brooklyn Children's Museum

The big main branch of the Brooklyn Library has children's events
http://catalog.brooklynpubliclibrary...calendar/month

Take a nature walk at Gateway National Park.

Take a 20 minute free boatride on the Staten Island Ferry

All else fails, there is the beach.
I would add to this great list the American Museum of Natural History which has a suggested contribution rather than a fixed admission (meaning pay what you wish or can afford) and is a great place to take a toddler especially if it happens to be rainy day (which can happen in a NYC summer).
American Museum of Natural History

Another place that might be okay for a toddler is the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum which I believe has interactive exhibits that even toddlers can enjoy.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,081 times
Macy,s does a fireworks show every 4th July no?

Take you kid to one and put a leash on ur kid

Take pictures and say aww when your brat screams for joy when he sees a bunch of "stars" in the sky

Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgit View Post
My husband is working for a few months in NYC. He is soon getting 5 days off and want me and our two year old to come up and see him as a vacation. I feel like he should come home to Orlando. There is so much to do and it's so easy to access. Plus, now that our son is a toddler, there are so many places that he can appreciate. My husband wants it to feel like a vacation so he thinks us going away from home is better but I am not looking forward to it. I hate how long it takes to go anywhere and do anything there. Then once you're out, you feel obligated to stay out because getting back is such a pain in the butt. You can't just hop in the car and be back in 10-20 minutes. I hate the subway. So then you just sit somewhere in the city to recharge, instead of just heading back to relax a bit before the next thing. Plus, there is nothing there to do that you can't do here. Our son is to young for shows, and I honestly I'm not interested in them anyway. My husband says we can go to Central Park, and then WHAT? Watch the dogs or let him play on the concrete playgrounds (why all the playgrounds are concrete is beyond me, ours have rubber chips)... We can do that here, a lot easier and safer. I feel like he likes the idea of NYC, but once you're there, it's boring. Sorry for ranting, but I miss him and he isn't budging.

I know I will end up going, so I am asking you guys for some ideas. What are some things we can do with a two year old? We'll be staying in Brooklyn.

I understand that there are many people who love living there. I have lived there, I get that there is a certain lifestyle and hipster thing that people enjoy. I'm not trampling on that. I just don't see the point in vacationing there.
Do us all a favour and stay in Orlando.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
I understand that there are many people who love living there. I have lived there, I get that there is a certain lifestyle and hipster thing that people enjoy. I'm not trampling on that. I just don't see the point in vacationing there.
New York City is actually great for a family vacation. I have a son and a daughter who are 3 and 1. My wife and I took them to visit New York City twice this year. My children enjoyed it each time. There is no lack of things to see and do there. Even just walking around midtown Manhattan through all the people and images is fascinating for them.

I figure it's good to introduce them to such a city from an early age.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:33 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,256 times
Quote:
My husband is working for a few months in NYC. He is soon getting 5 days off and want me and our two year old to come up and see him as a vacation. I feel like he should come home to Orlando. There is so much to do and it's so easy to access. Plus, now that our son is a toddler, there are so many places that he can appreciate. My husband wants it to feel like a vacation so he thinks us going away from home is better but I am not looking forward to it. I hate how long it takes to go anywhere and do anything there. Then once you're out, you feel obligated to stay out because getting back is such a pain in the butt. You can't just hop in the car and be back in 10-20 minutes. I hate the subway. So then you just sit somewhere in the city to recharge, instead of just heading back to relax a bit before the next thing. Plus, there is nothing there to do that you can't do here. Our son is to young for shows, and I honestly I'm not interested in them anyway. My husband says we can go to Central Park, and then WHAT? Watch the dogs or let him play on the concrete playgrounds (why all the playgrounds are concrete is beyond me, ours have rubber chips)... We can do that here, a lot easier and safer. I feel like he likes the idea of NYC, but once you're there, it's boring. Sorry for ranting, but I miss him and he isn't budging.

I know I will end up going, so I am asking you guys for some ideas. What are some things we can do with a two year old? We'll be staying in Brooklyn.

I am totally and utterly gobsmacked that anyone thinks NYC is "boring."

Old 07-04-2014, 02:03 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Anyone who feels Orlando is the place to vacation DESERVES Orlando.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
I just don't see the point in vacationing there.
You're right. There's nothing to do in NYC.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:38 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Anyone who feels Orlando is the place to vacation DESERVES Orlando.
I wanted to REP you but couldn't

Old 07-04-2014, 10:57 PM

137 posts, read 272,796 times
I made my mom wait into my son was 4 before I'd agree to a family trip to Disney. It's too much money to spend until they are old enough to enjoy it and remember it.

NYC kid stuff:

The Times Square toys r us has an amazing indoor Ferris wheel with characters on each cart. $4.50 a ride. The whole store has a lot if cool interactive things like the huge T. Rex and "candy land" ect. For a 2 year old, I'd plan for an hour in there.

Fao Swartz as well. An hour or so.

Yes to the Central Park zoo.

Yes to Coney Island. It's a nice beach and the aquarium is decent, and there are plenty of kid rides. Also, if you take D train out there a lot of it is above ground so you can see a great deal of Brooklyn.

The museum of natural history is suggested donation. You can literally donate $1 per person. They have a younger kid section that he'd probably

Many of the parks have sprinklers and spray fountains that shoot up into the air randomly which is fun for kids.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 PM

137 posts, read 272,796 times
Also, there are a lot of kid friendly shows that I think a 2yo would appreciate. Mary Poppins, Matilda, I don't know if the lion king is still there....

Or you can just take him to a children's movie for some down time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City