Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 42,231 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone

I have been living in Washington Heights, Manhattan for 5 years with my family. My daughter will be going to Bronx High School of Science in the coming summer. So we are thinking about moving to Bronx, somewhere either along Grand Concourse Avenue (convenient for D train ride) or on Sedgwich Avenue (BX10 bus ride).

Washington heights is a noisy place but relatively safe (my personal experience, might be wrong). As a parent, I am really concerned about the safety of my kid. I heard that the streets of east Bronx( zip 10466, 10467) are filled with drug dealers and thugs. As an Asian immigrant, I am quite scared by those mouth-to-mouth rumors. Anyone knows the neighborhood near this high school? kindly provide some objective comments?

Many thanks, and have a wonderful weekend.

-a yokel stuck in NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,968,200 times
That is a totally ridiculous generalization.The East Bronx north of the Cross Bronx Expressway has some of the safest neighborhoods including Pelham Parkway,Morris Park,Pelham Gardens,Country Club,Throg's Neck and City Island.

There are some very decent neighborhoods within walking distance of Bronx Science including Van Cortlandt Village,Bedford Park,the upper Grand Concourse( above Bedford Park Blvd),along Mosholu Parkway and most of Norwood. Any of these neighborhoods are actually safer and nicer than most of Washington Heights if you ask me.

Yes,there are some not so great blocks mixed into these areas but you should get out and investigate for yourself before listening to such gross generalizations.Those zip codes take in a lot of different neighborhoods,some of which are nowhere near Bronx Science.

There is actually a small Asian enclave around 204th st between The Grand Concourse and Mosholu Parkway.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-08-2009 at 07:10 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,982,107 times
I agree. The neighborhoods in 10468 are much much worse than 10467 which is actually not that bad. Zip code 10466 has a few bad areas, but as a whole it's also safer than 10468. Maybe you got it the other way around but the west Bronx is usually the one known for crime, poverty and drugs.

But the worst parts of 10468 are in the southern half. University Heights and Fordham-Bedford are mostly bad......Bedford Park and Norwood contain better blocks but some may be sketchier. So if you want to look into 10468, I think Bedford Park and Norwood are preferable. They are safer and also are closer to Bronx Science.

I think 10467 would be a even better fit for you.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:38 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,536,952 times
Default Bx HS

Of Science-worst thing you can say about the area is that after school hours (this includes De Witt Clinton HS, Lehman College, Walton HS) and on weekends the area can be desolate and stark in appearance, making it appear more intimidating than it actually is, and reasonable caution should be taken walking alone. Once you get toward the Grand Concourse at Bedford Park and above that the area's appearance improves dramatically. This is a better area than Wakefield and Williamsbridge

Old 05-09-2009, 04:38 PM

All of the messages above are greatly appreciated. Most of the time, I stayed in Manhattan and barely made trips to other boroughs. I am sorry for asking such naive questions. Thank bluedog2, SuperMario and rlrl for providing the great insights. Now I have got a rough impression about that area.

Besides the upper Grand Concourse Avenue/ Jerome Park, another place I am considering is Sedgwick Avenue, west to Jerome Park Reservior. Anyone is familiar with that neighborhood? Also, safety is still the main concern. I will step into those areas in next week, to get my own feeling. Others' opinions are important to me as well.

Wish everyone a wonderful Mother's Day.

-yokel

Old 05-09-2009, 05:12 PM

Default you're welcome

and no the questions are not naive, especially so because you're asking about areas that can be either bad, good or sketchy, especially your question about Sedgwick and Jerome Park, which I am familiar because i don't live too far from there

Sedgwick begins at Mosholu Pkwy at DeWitt Clinton HS, goes west, then goes south, wraps around the JP reservoir in Van Cortlandt Village and Kinsgbridge Heights. It's pretty nice until you hit the bottom of the reservoir because at that point you are going from 10463 (Kingsbridge) to 10468(Jerome park). At that point there will be a distinct change from an environment that is mostly small houses and well maintained apt buildings to an env that is grittier and more urban, more graffiti. you will then be around 197th, 195th, then Kingsbridge rd.

East of Sedgwick in the 190's you will be at Webb, Claflin, University Avenues, Reservoir Avenue, these streets all have a high crime rate and from what i read in my local paper, your chance of being a crime victim in this small area is extremely high. I am always reading about push in robberies, car thefts, street robberies and most of them are violent. All these are in 10468, whereas 10463 (above the 3000 block of Sedgwick and west of Sedgwick) is much safer. Go with 10463. Much better. 238th, Ft Independence, Giles Place, much better than the 190's

Old 05-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Sedgwick Ave is very long so it covers a lot of neighborhoods.The Northern and Eastern part is great.That is the neighborhood that I referred to as Van Cortlandt Village.

Starting at the top(Gun Hill Parkway) and running all along the West side of the reservoir is a very good neighborhood. After that ,the further south you go it gradually declines.

The part at the "top" around Orloff Ave,Giles Place,Cannon Place,Saxon,Hillman,etc is one of the best neighborhoods in the Bronx if you ask me.And it is sandwiched in between the reservoir and Van Cortlandt park. Nice.

Walking distance to Bronx Science too.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 PM

There you have it.... rlr and I are pretty much in total agreement.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:32 PM

Default yes-

Gale Place, Orloff, Hillman, Saxon, Dickinson, Mosholu Pkwy, then Gun Hill rd

nicest over by the first 5 blocks

if it wasn't so damn hilly over there i would bike to work (I live at Bway and 252 and work in Wakefield)

Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM

You guys are so knowledgeable and kind!

I paid a visit to the upper Grand Concourse (above 3000) yesterday. It is within walking distance to Bronx Science. Taking public transportation is very convenient with Train 4 or B/D to Manhattan, streets are quiet and clean. I think this may be a good place for us. It is much less congested compared with Washington Heights. We haven't probed any threatens on streets yet, but will definitely make another visit.

Thank all you guys again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
and no the questions are not naive, especially so because you're asking about areas that can be either bad, good or sketchy, especially your question about Sedgwick and Jerome Park, which I am familiar because i don't live too far from there

Sedgwick begins at Mosholu Pkwy at DeWitt Clinton HS, goes west, then goes south, wraps around the JP reservoir in Van Cortlandt Village and Kinsgbridge Heights. It's pretty nice until you hit the bottom of the reservoir because at that point you are going from 10463 (Kingsbridge) to 10468(Jerome park). At that point there will be a distinct change from an environment that is mostly small houses and well maintained apt buildings to an env that is grittier and more urban, more graffiti. you will then be around 197th, 195th, then Kingsbridge rd.

East of Sedgwick in the 190's you will be at Webb, Claflin, University Avenues, Reservoir Avenue, these streets all have a high crime rate and from what i read in my local paper, your chance of being a crime victim in this small area is extremely high. I am always reading about push in robberies, car thefts, street robberies and most of them are violent. All these are in 10468, whereas 10463 (above the 3000 block of Sedgwick and west of Sedgwick) is much safer. Go with 10463. Much better. 238th, Ft Independence, Giles Place, much better than the 190's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City