Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:45 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,896,890 times

Advertisements

I briefly considered moving to Harlem for cheaper rents. Decided it wasn't for me. I recently took Metro-North out of Harlem, and waited on the platform for a good 15 minutes, overlooking 125th going East. It was truly depressing, and made me so glad I chose differently. I don't think I would have lasted in Harlem for more than a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,998 times
I've been outside that stop probably 20 times this year (usually before noon on weekdays) and have observed the same phenomenon. The next stop on the 6 (138th St & Alexander) also has a large police presence, but I've never noticed any of the same problems.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 AM

260 posts, read 297,966 times
I'll take "crack" in Harlem these days any day of the week rather than this "Meth" hell i currently live in rural South Carolina. I lived in Harlem during the early and mid-nineties but Meth Zombies are the worst. As a New Yorker, i rarley gave any looks to "Drugies". It's pretty easy to ignore them. I have been to San Francisco and Austin and there are far more strung out junkies there than Harlem. FYI I wouldn't "Gawk" at drug addicts if you value your safety.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:51 AM

769 posts, read 1,006,527 times
that stop on the 4/5/6 has been that way forever. it's always interesting when I have to work in that area once a month.

the cops do not care about the residents doing drugs there. they are really only there to prevent mass chaos and to bust drug buyers not from the area.

also you can add pcp smokers to the list of what people are doing on that corner.

every time I am up there it's nothing but 50 year old unemployed men and women smoking crack and dust, shooting up dope, laying all over the sidewalks. a good portion of the people in the wheelchairs up there aren't even handicapped either. they are just using that as a cover to sell/use drugs.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,625 times
Default The Worst Part of The City

For sure everything that is being said about this corner is true.

The Junkies also use the Pathmark there to recycle the Cans and Bottles they have collected and then undoubtedly turn that money in drugs.

People are just hanging out on the street, sleeping, doing drugs, whatever. It's a total free-for-all and I don't blame the cops for doing nothing. This is a societal problem and one that will only get cleaned-up (or relocated) if the residents of the area GET MOTIVATED TO DO SOMETHING.

It's actually pretty damn sad because the 125th Street Station of the 4/5/6 is a great way to access Midtown/Lower Manhattan and if this area was nicer....I could see a real revitalization of this area occurring but no one seems to care and they look the other way while the junkies and zombies rule the roost.

I would be interested to know who the Politicians are who are responsible for this area.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:07 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,286,057 times
Yea. I stood there and smoked a joint ounce..

Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,591,977 times
But, But, But I thought all of NYC was like Disneyland and everyone is some trustfarian hispter-yuppie and everyone has millions of dollars and rent is like A Billion a month and the only street activity is Paris Hilton wannabes walking out of Coach stores to go over to the Duane Read nestled between Starbucks and the Chase branch. After all, there's only a new thread every week lamenting how there's no "realness" left in NY.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:52 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,286,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
But, But, But I thought all of NYC was like Disneyland and everyone is some trustfarian hispter-yuppie and everyone has millions of dollars and rent is like A Billion a month and the only street activity is Paris Hilton wannabes walking out of Coach stores to go over to the Duane Read nestled between Starbucks and the Chase branch. After all, there's only a new thread every week lamenting how there's no "realness" left in NY.

LOL! I have a sneaking suspicion the people who constantly push this gentry hysteria secretly want it. NYC is still NYC. working classes, rich people, and hood rats galore.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,088,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
West Harlem has some pretty bad areas like the Manhattanville projects, and of course anything near the Harlem River in West or East Harlem is BAD!
The Manhattanville projects aren't that bad. Certainly not as bad as the projects in East Harlem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
There's plenty of projects below 105th so no, it doesn't become much nicer.
Not all projects have the same level of crime, though.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,149,397 times
Maybe the city and/or police would rather junkies hang out in one place where they can keep an eye out on them rather than push them out and have them scatter throughout the city?

San Francisco seems to do something similar in a neighborhood to the southwest of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City