Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:38 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times

Advertisements

125th has always been this way, and I too have walked past that area many times. Seeing druggies passed out on the streets, lighting up, going to buy or sell. Kinda reminds you of a third world country within the ghetto. Not to mention you got the folks who hop on the M35 to go to Wards Island to go to the looney bin. There are a lot of rehabs, halfway houses, in that area. Until you see all this eradicated 125th and Lex will remain the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:41 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
125th has always been this way, and I too have walked past that area many times. Seeing druggies passed out on the streets, lighting up, going to buy or sell. Kinda reminds you of a third world country within the ghetto. Not to mention you got the folks who hop on the M35 to go to Wards Island to go to the looney bin. There are a lot of rehabs, halfway houses, in that area. Until you see all this eradicated 125th and Lex will remain the same.
Indeed. There used to be a methadone clinic there years ago. Not sure that it's still there. Always will be this way.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:55 PM

112 posts, read 181,802 times
Right off the 1 train at W.4th st. is the same thing. no one cares.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 PM

401 posts, read 552,050 times
It's a lot better than what it used to be. Central Harlem (28th and 32nd) used to have a higher murder rate than every other precinct besides Hunts Points in Bronx.

It is far better now. OP Harlem still does have bad streets from what I've heard but every "bad" area has a few shady streets. There are parts of Harlem that aren't too bad. I've driven through there multiple times.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:00 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
I've lived in NYC all my life. I remember when Harlem was close to hell on earth. Gentrification is rampant (whether that is a good thing or bad thing is up for debate), which is why 125th Street and Lexington Ave confuses me. In the past two months I've walked by at least ten times and noticed a lot of public drinking, weed smoking, even crack smoking. I've seen people passed out in broad daylight. All of this literally above the 4 train, on the street corners. Most interesting, it seems the cops are there at all times and just aren't phased. People are lighting up right in front of them and unless they're making a big scene the cops just leave them be.

I mean in ways it's sort of a hippie's dream - getting high in public and the cops just stare without a care. I just found it odd. What's the deal? Why are the cops busting people all across the city, from the Bronx to Brooklyn, but not really bothered at this particular spot in Harlem?
"Up to Lexington, 125
Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive"

The Velvet Underground - I'm Waiting For The Man

Old 01-25-2015, 07:19 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
But, But, But I thought all of NYC was like Disneyland and everyone is some trustfarian hispter-yuppie and everyone has millions of dollars and rent is like A Billion a month and the only street activity is Paris Hilton wannabes walking out of Coach stores to go over to the Duane Read nestled between Starbucks and the Chase branch. After all, there's only a new thread every week lamenting how there's no "realness" left in NY.

E. 125th street is still skid row but it's changing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/ny...ange-bank.html

Harlem Metro-North hub getting big makeover - NY Daily News

Confirmed! Extell buys East Harlem property - NY Daily News

City Launches Eminent Domain Proceedings for East Harlem Redevelopment Zone - East Harlem - DNAinfo.com New York

Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Some of the buildings in the 125 and Lexington area are already being rehabbed. It's a dump, but change is coming and you can see the construction already taking hold.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:14 AM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I used to work on Wards Island, I would usually drive but I took the bus once, and the bus was at least 85% crackheads going back to the rehab shelter.

They didn't bother anyone but it was really uncomfortable, they were all eyeing me and it looked like they were going to mug me at any moment

Old 09-03-2015, 08:06 AM

461 posts, read 556,106 times
Mystery is solved, apparently a lot of it is based in a big K2 problem. Makes sense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/ny...lock.html?_r=0

Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Mystery is solved, apparently a lot of it is based in a big K2 problem. Makes sense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/ny...lock.html?_r=0
They are addicts, but the true problem is so many homeless services/shelters nearby. Plus they have the places where they can sell cans and bottles for money for drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City