Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,682 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm a 30 year old guy moving to NYC, from Chicago. I'm trying to figure out where to concentrate my housing search on so please share your thoughts with me if you are familiar with the area.

I currently live within the city of Chicago, I don't live downtown anymore cause I didn't care much for the constant rat race and though I really dislike the suburbs cause they feel too dull, I wanted a more normal neighborhood/community feel that didn't give up the city life. With this in mind, I definitely know I don't want to live in Manhattan.

I currently pay 1200 bucks a month for a 2 bedroom townhouse, I know housing prices in NYC are a lot higher but I'm willing to go up to 2200 a month for housing, are there any boroughs that get something similar in a decent neighborhood?

Also diversity. I currently live in an area that is very diverse in age and ethnicity, I know it doesn't get much more diverse than Manhattan, but are all the other boroughs like that too?

How is the nightlife in the different boroughs? Are they any good or do people generally always have to go out to Manhattan to find good night life?

And lastly are living in Stamford CT or the part of New Jersey that is close to Manhattan good options as well based on the questions I asked above?

Thanks much for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 12:53 PM

72 posts, read 90,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbackape View Post
Hey all,

I'm a 30 year old guy moving to NYC, from Chicago. I'm trying to figure out where to concentrate my housing search on so please share your thoughts with me if you are familiar with the area.

I currently live within the city of Chicago, I don't live downtown anymore cause I didn't care much for the constant rat race and though I really dislike the suburbs cause they feel too dull, I wanted a more normal neighborhood/community feel that didn't give up the city life. With this in mind, I definitely know I don't want to live in Manhattan.

I currently pay 1200 bucks a month for a 2 bedroom townhouse, I know housing prices in NYC are a lot higher but I'm willing to go up to 2200 a month for housing, are there any boroughs that get something similar in a decent neighborhood?

Also diversity. I currently live in an area that is very diverse in age and ethnicity, I know it doesn't get much more diverse than Manhattan, but are all the other boroughs like that too?

How is the nightlife in the different boroughs? Are they any good or do people generally always have to go out to Manhattan to find good night life?

And lastly are living in Stamford CT or the part of New Jersey that is close to Manhattan good options as well based on the questions I asked above?

The Best Boroughs

If you are high earning or come from a rich family and white: Manhattan.
If you are low to average earning and white: no boroughs.
If you are not white: all boroughs.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:35 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Manhattan really isnt that diverse anymore compared to Brooklyn and Queens

Old 07-06-2014, 02:32 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
Don't exclude Manhattan. From your description given I'd say you'd like

Upper Manhattan from 59th St on up
most all of Queens
and 5/8ths of Brooklyn

Old 07-06-2014, 05:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
You're not a young adult.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're not a young adult.
LOL, what am I?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
You really have to ask what a 30 year man/woman is on the child -> adult spectrum?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 PM

13 posts, read 17,049 times
Manhattan is not the most diverse borough, it's queens. Queens is the most ethnically diverse borough in NYC and the world. If you're looking for socioeconomic and ideological diversity, I think that would be a little more difficult to classify borough wise. Across the boroughs I think people with similar economic standing tend to stick together. But if I reeeeaaallly had to choose, I'd say Brooklyn.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 PM

108 posts, read 120,267 times
A young adult, according to Erik Erikson's stages of human development, is generally a person in the age range of 20 to 40.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbackape View Post
Hey all,

Are you working in Manhattan? If so, which part? If you're working in Midtown it might be an easier commute from Long Island City, which is in Queens. If you're working in the financial district, it probably makes more sense to choose Brooklyn. Also, night life in Brooklyn tends to be better than in Queens, but it depends on the neighborhood.

Maybe try looking in Fort Greene or Prospect Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: