Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,337 times

Advertisements

How many millions of people live in NYC? 17 isnt bad I dont think.

Statisticly speaking, overall practically everyone of those millions was on 'good behavior' this past weekend! What is that, like 99.99999% were playing nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Don't make it out to be so simple Seventh cause it's not. It's not necessarily a "poor" thing because blacks are not the only "poor" demographic. You have poor puerto ricans, dominicans, mexicans, asians, jews, whites, etc.

You don't see POOR jews, asians or whites, puerto rican or domicans beefing and shooting/killing each other over stupid sh*t like black people do. And it's not solely a NYC issue, it's an American issue. Chicago, Detroit, Alabama, Dallas, etc.

The culprit and common denominator is the CULTURE they subscribe to, NOT the skin color. That culture being the HOOD culture. If you subscribe to that HOOD culture, whether puerto rican, dominican, black, white or whatever, you've increased your chances of witnessing a shooting, being shot, or being killed.

It's the culture, not the skin color.

And that FACT is, all these predominately Black neighborhoods where these shootings and killings are happening are encumbered in the street/hood culture. It's that simple. It's not only because they are poor.

The hood culture is an ego driven, confrontational culture.

Ey yo, you stepped on my new Jordans...

Yo dude right there is walking hard, who he think he is?...

Ey yo, dude shorted me on that dime bag...

Civilized people are more down to earth and don't argue about such stupid sh*t, only ghetto people.
You go to any poor neighborhood around the world and you're going to see some type of crime. I don't see what is your point of stressing this "hood" culture when obviously the main factor that plays into it is a lack of income. Any poor neighborhood in the world - you will see crime.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2014, 08:13 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
I agree but keep in mind that the puerto ricans and dominicans you see shooting/killing (but to a lesser extent than black people) have hybrid ghettoness to them of ghetto black/hip hop culture and latin culture. A mash up if you will. From my experience, spanish people such as puerto ricans and dominicans tend to be more tamer than black people and the shooting/killing stats back it up.

Anyhow, I agree that hip hop music plays a huge role in shaping ghetto culture. Rappers like Rick Ross, Meek Millz, and the like glorify the hood culture which in turn sets trends and mindsets through such communities with impressionable people that can't think for themselves.

From Dipset when they were hot and had the hood saying "ya dig" or "no homo" with Cam'ron making it cool to wear pink as a guy, to Jay-Z having everyone saying "holla at me" or even Funk Master Flex who isn't even a rapper but has the ears of hood people via Hot 97 where he had everyone saying "one" as a form of saying bye but sort of kind of in a disrespectful/authoritative way.

There are countless other examples on how rappers influence hood culture and keep it alive by making something negative cool and "gangsta".
Yeah but rock groups can sing about drug use - that's any better? I'm not even going to derail the thread with this. Back to shootings in NYC on 4th of July weekend please.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah but rock groups can sing about drug use - that's any better? I'm not even going to derail the thread with this. Back to shootings in NYC on 4th of July weekend please.
Oh god...you totally don't get it. Oh well figures you wouldn't.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 AM

5,096 posts, read 4,956,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe not now, but you did twenty to twenty-five years. Washington Heights wasn't exactly free of shootings.
Before RG locked up those gang groups like italian mafias, nyc was wild some 15 years ago and it had little to do with retail black thugs. not to say blacks are model law abiding groups, but some of the white groups were bloody wild before they became civilized. let's hope the remaining black thugs will be taken care of in the next 10-20 years so nyc will be a lot more deairable and more expensive....

Last edited by leoliu; 07-08-2014 at 12:35 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You go to any poor neighborhood around the world and you're going to see some type of crime. I don't see what is your point of stressing this "hood" culture when obviously the main factor that plays into it is a lack of income. Any poor neighborhood in the world - you will see crime.
Hilltop specifically hates Blacks, so he is of course going to ignore all evidence to the contrary of what he has invested a lot of energy into.

But the thing is, racist rants have nothing to do with the OP of the thread, which is shootings on the 4th. For a city of at least 8 million people, that wasn't particularly bad and they were concentrated in bad neighborhoods. No threat at all to someone not living or out in the street in the worst areas.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:50 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,610,953 times
To DeBlasio's credit, I was just in NYC all day yesterday and there were cops everywhere, And I was in multiple spots in Brooklyn and Queens. I still agree with the council members calling for more, but at least NYPD isn't hiding in the corners like some feared under a liberal administration.

If DeBo (the mayor) isn't careful, he can kiss his Black/Hispanic working class base goodbye. As much as people hate stop and frisk, once people start dying or having to go back to the days of looking over your shoulder after dark, it won't be long before a law and order constituency will begin to build in these communities. I believe there's already several city council members beginning to get vocal about it.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Before RG locked up those gang groups like italian mafias, nyc was wild some 15 years ago and it had little to do with retail black thugs. not to say blacks are model law abiding groups, but some of the white groups were bloody wild before they became civilized. let's hope the remaining black thugs will be taken care of in the next 10-20 years so nyc will be a lot more deairable and more expensive....
The black murder rate was higher than hispanics especially whites, except during the 80s when the hispanic and black murder rates were similar. Despite blacks not being any poorer than hispanics, in fact better off on average.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post33967813

Stops in 1998, but the breakdown still remains but much lower rates for all groups.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 AM

102 posts, read 142,527 times
need to implement stop and frisk, focus more on more serious crimes

Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,275 times
Quote:
As I said before, bring Stop and Frisk back!

Holiday weekend sees 11 shot in 5 hours in NYC | New York Post
Stop & frisk won't change anything. People will find ways to kill & hurt each other. Smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City