Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
Not the same user as Louis. Sorry

As for the section 8 and thugs comments, the area I referenced as affordable (New Dorp, Staten Island) is hardly full of thugs and gang bangers. 10306 Zip Code Income and Careers. Income and earnings are above the NY average.

So the average husband and wife pulling in the median (77K) can easily pony up the $1300 for a 2BR. A single person making half the median ($38,500) can still afford to spend the going rate of $900 for a 1BR, and not be spending over 1/3 of pre-tax income on rent.
Such smug ignorance. You should spend some time talking to actual people - I do.

Student loan debt, for example, which many people carry, cuts into that "pony up" funding.
As do many other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Louis XVI + Edubz = Same User
And I would guess that neither is in the top 5%, as one poster speculated.

Surprised that nobody else pointed this out.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hold on to your chair dearie because it *is* true that in 80/20 or whatever types of "affordable" housing buildings market rate tenants must pay more. It is simply real estate math and you can to on anywhere on the Web and look it up.
Too funny. As opposed to actually thinking it through. Unfortunately also far too typical.

This is a common criticism of such plans. It is also wrong.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
[quote=caribny;35564018][quote=NyWriterdude;35555660]And nobody pays $1300 out of their pocket for a one bedroom in ER! Those rents are paid for by government programs!

Many people who live in nicer parts of Brooklyn, Queens, or
Quote:

Do you know people who live in ENY who are working people who don't qualify for social housing/subsidies? Its in the Bronx where Section 8 is more than the market rent. Not ENY, which is dense to begin with, and now is accommodating people fleeing from BedStuy, Crown Heights, and Prospect Heights, and this on top of flight from neighborhoods like Ft Greene, and Clinton Hill, which were gentrified a while back.

I know that you are a kid, and so thinks that the world revolves around living with family, or a room mate, but some people (married or not) have kids, so must find their own accommodation. NYC is now back to the days when a 4 person family will squeeze into a 1BR.
I am not a kid, and families with children in today's New York take in borders/roommates OR live with other families.

You said immigrants are less likely to take public subsidies, that is true. But as someone who GREW up in immigrant neighborhoods, many FAMILIES live with other families in SINGLE families homes converted into multifamily homes. The Pakistani families in my building COMBINED families (there must have been 20 people in one two bedroom apartment above me). Oh, and this was in the 80s and 90s, so overcrowded conditions in NYC are nothing new. Unfortunately this is what people will have to deal with if they are not rich or if they cannot get subsidies.

In that sense, if you are too upscale to live with roommates or other families or have public subsidies, and if you aren't rich and still can't get by, NO ONE IS REQUIRED to live in New York City, and no one is required to come here.

New York City is a high demand place, with people always coming and always going. There are compromises one has to make to live here. If you need a lot of space for your family you should not live in NYC. People who needs lots of space have always moved out to the suburbs. That's not to say that people should raise their kids in NYC, many do. But many of those that do have either subsidies OR extra family members OR roommates. That's just the way that goes.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
And I would guess that neither is in the top 5%, as one poster speculated.

Surprised that nobody else pointed this out.
Dude probably lives in section 8.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I think this affordable housing should have 5-year maximums. You luck out with a below-market rent. Five years is enough. After that, time to vacate and give somebody else the lottery win. A lifetime of luxury is outrageous.

I really doubt that these people are living in luxury. You need to focus on the wealthy people living in $200/month apartments.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

In that sense, if you are too upscale to live with roommates or other families or have public subsidies, and if you aren't rich and still can't get by, NO ONE IS REQUIRED to live in New York City, and no one is required to come here.

So when NYC has no nurses and you fall ill I don't expect any squealing from you. RNs don't under go their training to live doubled up as boarders and they can find work ANYWHERE in this country.

NYC is walking on thin ice with the notion that it can charge extreme rents and think that it will retain its middle class or a viable business sector. Its that simple. Back office functions will move to Tampa and NYC will end up like Mumbai. If that makes you happy then you are welcome.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:54 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
This already happens with the DOE.

Years ago most teachers lived locally and the public schools never closed during bad weather. Now most live too far out to travel on snow days. If the schools are open most of the kids are herded into auditoriums/cafeteria/gym to watch movies and not learn anything during bad weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So when NYC has no nurses and you fall ill I don't expect any squealing from you. RNs don't under go their training to live doubled up as boarders and they can find work ANYWHERE in this country.

NYC is walking on thin ice with the notion that it can charge extreme rents and think that it will retain its middle class or a viable business sector. Its that simple. Back office functions will move to Tampa and NYC will end up like Mumbai. If that makes you happy then you are welcome.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I really doubt that these people are living in luxury. You need to focus on the wealthy people living in $200/month apartments.
They are very few and far between. I know many working-class people with families in places that are not quite large enough.

But this is a typical objection raised against rent regulation.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 PM

287 posts, read 593,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
This already happens with the DOE.

Years ago most teachers lived locally and the public schools never closed during bad weather. Now most live too far out to travel on snow days. If the schools are open most of the kids are herded into auditoriums/cafeteria/gym to watch movies and not learn anything during bad weather.

Spot on. But to be fair, its ridiculous when the ENTIRE Northeast (Yes, it hapoened a few times this winter) closes school except for NYC.

School staff comes in angry that they risked their life when only 20% shows up anyway.

i know, I know, well maybe they should work out in the suburbs where they live. Well...obviously there were no open jobs there.

I know, I know, maybe the teachers should move into the city. A) Most folks who grew up in the suburbs have no interest in living in the city and B) Probabaly cannot even afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City