Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 PM

11,190 posts, read 9,003,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
I'm pretty sure you've accused me of being someone else prior to this. I think it's time you get over it hon.
i don't believe so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,222,453 times
Great article. The developers love it because they get to build a lot more market-rate units than they would without the subsidized units. So they are actually making more money with the subsidized units. So this is just more corporate welfare provided by an ultra-liberal mayor to rich fat cats.

With respect to the affordable units, they are occupied by "lottery winners," many of whom may have wealthy parents, or are just somewhat lazy people who are not working to their potential, and have no business being subsidized by anyone else. If you want to provide an affordable unit to the widow of the firefighter who was just killed, fine. But to some "artist" from Williamsburg? I don't think so.

Overall, the program is a complete joke, and will do nothing to alleviate the housing shortage in New York. The only thing that would really help is a deep cut in the levels of immigration, because immigrants pour into New York City every year. But can you imagine Mayor Bill De Boo Boo calling for a cut in immigration?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:05 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,375,922 times
Bloomberg is an richie rich kid. Whatever comes out of his mouth is rubbish. He paid off somebody to get an abortion ( which was ran in the news at some point ), and his biggest thing he was noticed for, was going on an date with some famous singer/actress. What he is trying to say, is ***** the working class, GTFO. He wants people to be only rich, wealthy submissive people.

He is right, to tell people to get out, if your not happy. It is an big nation.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:13 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,817,886 times
You just lack a fundamental understanding of free markets. Supply and demand. Wages at the lowest skilled levels are depressed bc of the excess of low skilled laborers. And what do you think will happen when the millions of illegals are filtered into society? If poor people move bc of lack of job opportunities and there becomes a greater supply of low skilled jobs than people to fill them (as you claim), wages for those jobs will go up. However, I think this 'nyc is for the rich and white only' narrative is overblown. Take the subway and tell me there isn't an abundance of poor, unskilled workers that will be left to fill these jobs.

I just don't understand the housing controls that prevent a free market from working. Are people given $800/month homes in Beverly Hills, Malibu, or Palm beach? Why manhattan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
the problem is that he wants peasants to wash his dishes and bathe his kids, and will cry when all the peasants have fled down South, as many are now threatening to do. For many people the NY dream is ended and they are out of here, these being the very lower mid and working class people who every civilized society needs to function.

When Louis XVI goes to the theater, who does he think is going to be the usher?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,222,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I just don't understand the housing controls that prevent a free market from working. Are people given $800/month homes in Beverly Hills, Malibu, or Palm beach? Why manhattan?
Because De Blahsio made some ridiculous promise that he was going to create or "preserve" (preserve can mean anything) 200,000 "affordable" apartments. So if it means giving corporate welfare to his developer friends, and providing discounted rents to people who are absolutely not deserving of winning the lottery, so be it.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM

429 posts, read 545,720 times
Not the same user as Louis. Sorry

As for the section 8 and thugs comments, the area I referenced as affordable (New Dorp, Staten Island) is hardly full of thugs and gang bangers. 10306 Zip Code Income and Careers. Income and earnings are above the NY average.

So the average husband and wife pulling in the median (77K) can easily pony up the $1300 for a 2BR. A single person making half the median ($38,500) can still afford to spend the going rate of $900 for a 1BR, and not be spending over 1/3 of pre-tax income on rent.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,183,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
how am i obsessed with you, weirdo??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
I'm pretty sure you've accused me of being someone else prior to this. I think it's time you get over it hon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
i don't believe so.

That was me, accusing him of also being some new screenname named "baller" or something that was also agreeing with every one of his posts. He got his granny panties all bunched up with me when I made this claim too.

I was actually semi-kidding, but now that I am seeing this thread, I know it's legit. And this is his new one haha...

Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
There is plenty of "affordable" housing within the city limits right now. It's just not in Manhattan south of E 96th Street or West 110th St.

In my neighborhood on Staten Island, you can get a nice 1BR with your own private entrance for around $850-$900 a month. 2BR goes for around $1200-$1400 a month. Very affordable for city workers. Cool and trendy, no.

If you aspire to live the "Sex and the City" Manhattan lifestyle, then you need to take steps to make yourself more attractive to top-tier employers. The government has no responsibility to provide affordable housing.
And there are people in NYCHA buildings in Manhattan South of East 96th Street paying $400 dollars a month for apartments. There are people in Manhattan South of 96th Street paying a few hundred dollars for rent stabilized or rent controlled apartments. There are 80/20s, LAMP, Mitchell Llamas, and other low income apartments in Manhattan. Half of the housing in Manhattan is NOT MARKET rate.............

People shouldn't comment on housing market they apparently know nothing about.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Good, let them move. They'd probably be better off there than here. You either adapt to change or you get steam rolled over. But the bottom line is no one is entitled to live in any particular place. You live where you can afford.
And plenty of poor people afford Manhattan itself. They live with roommates. Or they live in affordable housing, and you know there are housing programs such as Section 8 that pay rents for people and many landlords accept these, especially in poorer neighborhoods. Expensive neighborhoods in Manhattan have affordable housing in the form of Mitchell Llamas and NYCHA.

Not to mention rent control and rent stabilization, or the programs that give huge tax credits for 80/20s, LAMPS, and other forms of affordable housing.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Snarky tone aside the article in OP's linked post is rather correct.

Related and others participating in these various 80/20 or other tax abatement schemes that provide "affordable" and or " low" income housing aren't losing a penny on the deal. The losers are those paying inflated market rates for their units to subsidize those "affordable" units.

Article is also correct in saying what most everyone even remotely involved in NYC real estate knows as well as NYS and City government, much of the problem in the City with housing is caused by New York's on policies which often are at odds with each other.

Vast swaths of NYC are still zoned for low density housing, are part of landmark or historical districts and or have other restrictions that make development expensive or not even possible. If or when someone wants to go ahead with building anyway the arcane and byzantine system of laws, rules and so forth makes it very expensive. Now of course to obtain any zoning variances de Blasio and the City are going to demand 30% "affordable" component in the name of "inclusion".

Nearly 60% of NYC rental housing falls under some sort of price control regulation. But yet NYC has had a "housing emergency" situation for >50 years. So the City's and state's answer is to create *more* regulated housing which still won't be enough and further interferes in how a healthy housing market should operate.

In the meantime the focus on the poor and lower income is driving out the very persons NYC needs, stable middle class/income households. They are being priced out by the wealthy on one end and very little housing that is "affordable" for them is being created.

In summation the article states what is simple common sense. For many persons their income will *NEVER* allow them to live in NYC without vast amounts of subsidizes
To the extent NYC even has a middle class, they are not leaving at all. City workers and other union jobs form NYC's middle class. These people own homes and cars in NYC itself. They aren't rich, but they aren't poor.

And by the way, the government is the biggest employer in NYC. No single private company can match the number of civil servants in NY! The companies that do business in NY are willing to pay high taxes as a price of doing business here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City