Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I'm specifically NOT talking about hipsters. I pointed out in my OP that I see everyone on bikes, with the exception of ghetto/hood women and, as someone else pointed out, Hasidics
I think the difference is the hipsters. Pull them out of the equation and I don't see Brooklyn having any massive increase in bikers vs. elsewhere. IMO Ridgewood QUEENS has more bikers than Bed Stuy BROOKLYN. And we don't even have citibike or bike lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
brooklyn has the best places to ride a bike. We have Prospect Park, and the Shore Rd Promenade, plus all the neighborhoods in between.

Some neighborhods are better than others.

I like Red Hook the best, hardly any car traffic, Carroll Gardens, Bath Beach, Gravesend, Gowanus Homecrest....Greenpoint, (another goodie). Also along Kent Ave in Williamsburg, the list is endless.

Park Slope is too busy, to much traffic and strollers, I don't like riding those streets though...just the park

there are just so many places still to discover

Old 07-09-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
from Ridgewood to Sunnyside
The nabe between these 2 Queens nabes is Maspeth, which happens to be hosting a bike show next month.

Second Annual Bike Cult Show to Take Place at Knockdown Center from August 16-17, Don't Miss It! - Core77

Old 07-09-2014, 02:09 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
Brooklyn is a lot easier to ride a bike in than anywhere else in the city.

Even before hipster-bike-lane-gentrification there are just a lot of side streets and such that aren't so busy. Kids can play in them and ride a bike around without getting killed. It's also completely flat. Bronx is hilly, Queens seems to have a lot more busy surface traffic, Manhattan is Manhattan.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:32 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,035,009 times
To say Brooklyn is completely flat hasn't spent much time in Bay Ridge or Sunset Park or Cypress Hills. All the boroughs have their hilly parts and their flat expanses.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
To say Brooklyn is completely flat hasn't spent much time in Bay Ridge or Sunset Park or Cypress Hills. All the boroughs have their hilly parts and their flat expanses.
Grandly, But Moderately. » In the Beginning

From Bay Ridge to Forest Hills...all on the same ridge. Park Slope, Ridgewood, Prospect Heights, Crown Heights, Dyker Heights, Sunset Heights, Cypress Hills, Richmond Hill, Ocean Hill...terrain wise you are correct, Brooklyn faces the same vertical biking challenges as Queens. Real cyclists actually prefer the hilly terrain though.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:09 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post

From Bay Ridge to Forest Hills...all on the same ridge. Park Slope, Ridgewood, Prospect Heights, Crown Heights, Dyker Heights, Sunset Heights, Cypress Hills, Richmond Hill, Ocean Hill...terrain wise you are correct, Brooklyn faces the same vertical biking challenges as Queens. Real cyclists actually prefer the hilly terrain though.
Those names don't mean much.
Park Slope's "elevation" is like 40 feet. The toughest incline to cycle up in Brooklyn is the ramp up the Williamsburg Bridge.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Those names don't mean much.
Park Slope's "elevation" is like 40 feet. The toughest incline to cycle up in Brooklyn is the ramp up the Williamsburg Bridge.
Take a ride from Flatbush to Bushwick. Whole thing is uphill. Guess why they didn't develop housing in Prospect Park and Greenwood cemetery, too hilly.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:39 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post

I've been looking for a legible topography map of NYC but haven't come up with one yet (or at least one that I can easily read and interpret).

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "real cyclist" but I'm talking of using bikes as a means of short distance commuting. So in that case, level ground and road infrastructure are important for wider adoption. If Queens and BK are similar in topography, how do they compare in road layout? Someone mentioned on this thread that the layout of the roads in BK is just more bike friendly.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
I always see a lot of people riding bikes by me in Queens all the time, but then again, I do live directly across the street from Forest Park. I think bike riding in general is becoming much more popular these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City