Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 04:46 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,890,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
lol, sure but the Jackie Robinson Parkway isn't exactly the most convenient way to get to Manhattan! The M line isn't the greatest either. Yeah there are ways out but every time I visit that general area I feel trapped
Ridgewood has the L, which we all know is the kewlest train line eva.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,274,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Ridgewood has the L, which we all know is the kewlest train line eva.
And where I grew up in Glendale I had a 10 min max walk to the J woodhaven blvd or forest pkwy stops.

Also $7 for local car service. Or get a bike, thats what the cool kids in BK do anyway.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:32 AM

579 posts, read 943,348 times
Default Bedford - Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I lived in Williamsburg off the Bedford stop in the late 1990s and early 2000s and again from 2009-2012.

A couple work friends who got sick of Williamsburg moved over by Hunter College. They seem to have pretty nice apartments for what seems like a good price. I remember an article in one of the housing blogs (maybe curbed?) about a trend of people getting priced out of the hot parts of Brooklyn and moving over there.

I just googled and here's one of the articles. Not the one I was thinking of but same idea:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/re...anted=all&_r=0

I was wondering if there are any other neighborhoods like this in 2014. I.e. reasonably priced (for NYC standards) areas that are have better deals on housing because they aren't cool.
Let me put in a plug for Bedford - Mosholu. While the neighborhood has little night life other than Irish and Hispanic bars frequented by a mix of locals and Fordham University students and there are pockets in the neighborhood that some consider the hood, the convenience of the neighbor can't be beat. Travel by car to Westchester and Connecticut and long island is easy by the parkways that cross the area. Public transit is excellent with midtown Manhatan about 30 minutes by the D,4, or Metro North. I work in Midtown West and get to the office in 40 minutes door to door. Shopping is easy because of an abundance of convenient stores and the fact that the Fordham Road and East 204th St shopping areas are close by. There is so much parkland and the housing is really beautiful with a mix of Art Deco and 1960's apartment buildings and large Victorian style houses. Also, one of the major thoroughfares in the area, Webster avenue, has been rezoned and is transforming from a mix of low rise residential and car repair shops to mixed income high rise residential and ground level commercial space.

Last edited by pietrang; 07-12-2014 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: fix typos

Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 AM

863 posts, read 1,126,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
These are really not, and will never be cool - the problem is they're far from Manhattan and landlocked. No subway, and no highways. It's just a big giant vat of uncool inbreeding.
Ridgewood is becoming popular due to its proximity to Bushwick. I guess lower rents outweighs the "uncoolness" of not living in a Brooklyn "nabe." Give it time as the prices will eventually skyrocket there (especially after realtors try to market it as East Bushwick or something).

Old 07-12-2014, 11:38 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,274,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Ridgewood is becoming popular due to its proximity to Bushwick. I guess lower rents outweighs the "uncoolness" of not living in a Brooklyn "nabe." Give it time as the prices will eventually skyrocket there (especially after realtors try to market it as East Bushwick or something).
Really its that Ridgewood and Bushwick are popular because of their proximity to Williamsburg, the LES, and the East Village.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:51 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,035,869 times
If I move back, I want to avoid the Williamsburg/Bushwick scene. I don't really go out anymore. Although I hate to admit some of the new super yuppie stuff over on the water is appealing now that I'm old. Honestly, I am sort of ghoulishly hoping my aunt on 95th and Madison will let me live in her place when she retires to Arizona, but pretty sure my cousin has first dibs.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,890,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
And where I grew up in Glendale I had a 10 min max walk to the J woodhaven blvd or forest pkwy stops.

Also $7 for local car service. Or get a bike, thats what the cool kids in BK do anyway.
By me I slowly see more hipsters moving in. Many of them realize that they can find a place that's near Williamsburg that is very safe and cheap [unlike Bushwick]. They also seem to like having a nice, big park nearby [Forest park].

Old 07-13-2014, 07:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,306,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Totally agree! All NYers who have lived here more than 20+ years know that Forest Hills is one of a handful of areas that people have always wanted to move to when 90% of the rest of the city was crap. There's a reason why the elementary schools there rank among the best in both NYC and NY state.
Isn't Forest Hills on the pricey side, too? Would Kew Gardens count as a "sleeper" neighborhood?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,246,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I lived in Williamsburg off the Bedford stop in the late 1990s and early 2000s and again from 2009-2012.

A couple work friends who got sick of Williamsburg moved over by Hunter College. They seem to have pretty nice apartments for what seems like a good price. I remember an article in one of the housing blogs (maybe curbed?) about a trend of people getting priced out of the hot parts of Brooklyn and moving over there.

I just googled and here's one of the articles. Not the one I was thinking of but same idea:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/re...anted=all&_r=0

I was wondering if there are any other neighborhoods like this in 2014. I.e. reasonably priced (for NYC standards) areas that are have better deals on housing because they aren't cool.
The Bronx.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,041,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Isn't Forest Hills on the pricey side, too? Would Kew Gardens count as a "sleeper" neighborhood?
Agreed, I was just concurring with G-Dale that Forest Hills isn't a sleeper neighborhood since someone else suggested that Forest Hills is so uncool and it got no mention. As for Kew Gardens being a sleeper, I guess it depends to whom. It certainly won't attract transplants that have a burning desire to live in a bad boy neighborhood that they want to change. However, for those looking for a fully gentrified^2 neighborhood like Park Slope and have been priced out, Kew Gardens and even Forest Hills is worth a look. You certainly don't have to deal with buying a property within the one and only decent elementary school in Park Slope only to have the boundaries redrawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City