Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumskaya View Post
Hi, I received my score and the list number approximately a month ago by mail. Did not make too good, but test wasn't easy. Seems there are about 800 people passed the test. Also list is not open yet as per 2 weeks ago. If anybody has any information about this one, please share. I can't wait to change my current job!
Thanks.
You can see the original list which has since been changed on this website from the union for analysts
OSAunion

You can also check your status by calling the dcas hotline and putting in your pertinent info as well as the test number which is 5045 (staff analyst)

Automated Phone System - Call DCAS at (212) 669-1357.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 04:58 PM

32 posts, read 138,886 times
For May 2015 associate staff analyst exam, does anyone know whether any number from this exam has been called? Or via which channel can we find out what number has been called from what test? Would also appreciate sharing how the interview process/questions might be different from private industry. If not offered a job after interview, do they put you back to the top of the list until you are hired?
Also, can you negotiate salary if offered a position on provisional basis? Is it true that permanent position salary is set, i.e. salary will be the same for all new hires for the same position? Is there any possibility of overtime work for this kind of position? The reason why I ask is that the pay is low comparing to private sector and needs to have minimum to cover monthly living expenses.
Has anyone worked at MTA? What will be the best way to get higher salary after being hired as an analyst?
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:31 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
For May 2015 associate staff analyst exam, does anyone know whether any number from this exam has been called? Or via which channel can we find out what number has been called from what test? Would also appreciate sharing how the interview process/questions might be different from private industry. If not offered a job after interview, do they put you back to the top of the list until you are hired?
Also, can you negotiate salary if offered a position on provisional basis? Is it true that permanent position salary is set, i.e. salary will be the same for all new hires for the same position? Is there any possibility of overtime work for this kind of position? The reason why I ask is that the pay is low comparing to private sector and needs to have minimum to cover monthly living expenses.
Has anyone worked at MTA? What will be the best way to get higher salary after being hired as an analyst?
Thanks in advance.
I'm an analyst at MTA. You would have to keep applying for positions in order to get higher salary. You won't get any raises by staying in the same position/location generally. It is easier to move up by going jumping from unrepresented titles since there are no rules for hiring. At the same time, it's harder to get positions for unrepresented titles since anyone can apply and hired. There is no 1 in 3 rule for these positions. It's a given these are lower pay than private sector. You don't have the same workload, the same benefits, the pension ......these are better in civil service. If you're after pay, stick with private sector. Especially for analyst titles. The top positions for this career path are few and turnover is low. For titles above Associate Staff Analyst, you would need to supervise others.

Too many variables to answer your 1st question, differs with each agency. If you don't get picked from your interview , you retain your spot on the list. Not sure if you have a limited chances to be interviewed and be removed from the list. Salary is somewhat flexible....I know for MTA, they give you 10% over your previous salary or the lower of the title's range.

Last edited by nyccs; 10-16-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 07:56 PM

546 posts, read 763,930 times
Quote:
Also, can you negotiate salary if offered a position on provisional basis? Is it true that permanent position salary is set, i.e. salary will be the same for all new hires for the same position?
Thanks in advance.
U cant negotiate..That begining salary is not set.. but will increase significally after 2 years of service..then its permanent.. (incumbent rate)but depends how many levels the Title has. Level 3 will pay more than level 1.. just have to get promoted..to that level.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
U cant negotiate..That begining salary is not set.. but will increase significally after 2 years of service..then its permanent.. (incumbent rate)but depends how many levels the Title has. Level 3 will pay more than level 1.. just have to get promoted..to that level.
There is no level 3 for Analyst titles...here is the hierachy...

Associate Staff Analyst
Staff Analyst L 2
Staff Analyst L 1
Staff Analyst Trainee

Cant speak for other agencies, but for the MTA, anything above the Associate SA, you would supervise a small team of other administrative and analysts. I've had supervisors who were Directors, General Supts, and Budget Managers who ascended from this career path. An interesting thing to bear in mind is that just because you have a higher title thru a promotion, it doesn't mean you are doing more challenging work if you move around, it depends on what dept./supervisor you work in/for. I've had a higher title thru a promotion and did less work than when I was a lower Analyst title. That's part of the quirkiness of civil service.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:53 PM

Psa:

The open competitve Staff Analyst list is up to #101. It's moving along pretty quickly.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Psa:

The open competitve Staff Analyst list is up to #101. It's moving along pretty quickly.
Lol damn , that list will prolly finish before SA Trainee one. thnk god

Old 10-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Psa

open competitve associate staff analyst number reached is #77.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:30 PM

last SA Trainee appointed # low 500s

Old 10-23-2016, 05:27 PM

32 posts, read 138,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I'm an analyst at MTA. You would have to keep applying for positions in order to get higher salary. You won't get any raises by staying in the same position/location generally. It is easier to move up by going jumping from unrepresented titles since there are no rules for hiring. At the same time, it's harder to get positions for unrepresented titles since anyone can apply and hired. There is no 1 in 3 rule for these positions. It's a given these are lower pay than private sector. You don't have the same workload, the same benefits, the pension ......these are better in civil service. If you're after pay, stick with private sector. Especially for analyst titles. The top positions for this career path are few and turnover is low. For titles above Associate Staff Analyst, you would need to supervise others.

Too many variables to answer your 1st question, differs with each agency. If you don't get picked from your interview , you retain your spot on the list. Not sure if you have a limited chances to be interviewed and be removed from the list. Salary is somewhat flexible....I know for MTA, they give you 10% over your previous salary or the lower of the title's range.
Thanks for the insights, NYCCS.
What do OA and TA stand for in MTA jobs? Does "unrepresented titles” in your reply mean provisional positions (non-union)? Are these positions paid lower or higher than the union ones? Can you help me understand the salary of the following example of MTA analyst position:
Associate Staff Analyst (OA): $70,000 - $91,000
Associate Staff Analyst (TA): $75,000 - $95,000 (New hire rate: $60,2000)

Is it true in MTA that you get a big raise after 2 years of service and then salary stays the same - assuming stay at the same position? If so, what kind of "big" increase are we looking at?

Are you required by MTA to become a union member after being hired as provisional based analyst?

I understand the major differences between private and public sectors, but still need to figure out if I apply for a position with low salary now, but may get enough pay with raise later to cover my basic needs.

Thanks.

Last edited by starrynight; 10-23-2016 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City