Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 07:49 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
I would apply but it depends on your goals. Aren't you already in this role as contractor?
I believe the union is offering help with the application, they posted that on their web.
Dont waste your time, they do investigate work experience. If you are found to lie, they can terminate your job at anytime, even after being hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 08:00 AM

87 posts, read 102,019 times
YUP
As of may 2018 there have been 1200 appeals. Various reasons include character, education, experience, score, medical, timelines
https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-G...2017/7xq6-k6zy
Even if you have resigned from a civil servant before.

Under section 813(d) of the New York City Charter, the CSC is authorized to hear and decide appeals by candidates who have been disqualified and been removed from an eligible list or from a competitive civil service title.

Under Civil Service Law Section 50(4), the DCAS Commissioner or other examining agency may lawfully disqualify candidates:

who lack any of the requirements established by the notice of examination for admission to the examination, or for appointment to the position applied for; who have a disability rendering them unfit to perform in a reasonable manner the duties of the position sought;
who have been found guilty of a crime;
who have been dismissed, terminated, or have resigned from a position in the public service as the result of incompetence or misconduct;
who have intentionally made a false statement of material fact in their application;
who have practiced, or attempted to practice, any deception or fraud in their application, examination, or in securing eligibility or appointment; or
who have been dismissed from private employment because of habitually poor performance.

Who may not appeal?
The CSC does not hear appeals in the following instances:

If an individual has been appointed to a position for which they have not taken a competitive examination, including provisional titles; or
If an individual has been dismissed from a position while still serving a probationary period.
If an individual has not received their final determination from the agency, the Department of Citywide Administrative Service's (DCAS) Committee on Manifest Errors (CME), or the New York City Transit Authority Personnel Review Board

Old 08-03-2018, 08:58 AM

31 posts, read 56,646 times
Yeah but I do not have 2 years of experience in this current role and my previous roles were just internships.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:57 PM

87 posts, read 102,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a City Boy View Post
Yeah but I do not have 2 years of experience in this current role and my previous roles were just internships.
Then you have to wait another 4 years then to take it then another 2 years just to get called. They know this, they don't care.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:09 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a City Boy View Post
Speak with the union. I know they’ll want to help you with the application. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:41 AM

22 posts, read 53,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyCat View Post
Received my letter to come to protest exam results on august 14th. It's not mandatory, but going to happen at 8:30 am, ugh. So early. Didn't really understand how to protest the questions properly, but anyway just want to see what I go wrong in general.
Are you going? I would be interested in finding out if any of the answers change.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:54 AM

1,034 posts, read 672,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilServiceTestTaker View Post
Are you going? I would be interested in finding out if any of the answers change.
I’m having a bit of a hard time understanding the mail-in protest process. I believe DCAS does not allow one to take any test info home, including handwritten notes, from the PRS appointment. No phones allowed to take photos of the questions. Then how do we protest by mail without test questions, or did I miss something ?

Old 08-05-2018, 01:03 PM

15 posts, read 22,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilServiceTestTaker View Post
I am going, yes. Hope there's enough people there so I don't feel like a lone sleepy warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
I’m having a bit of a hard time understanding the mail-in protest process. I believe DCAS does not allow one to take any test info home, including handwritten notes, from the PRS appointment. No phones allowed to take photos of the questions. Then how do we protest by mail without test questions, or did I miss something ?
I'm having same questions, how do we protest if we can't bring back anything and our memories can't hold 100% of information seen. Letter says we can bring in anything to upcoming protest session that might help us with the protest but I have no idea what questions I failed, bringing in EVERYTHING feels dumb.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:38 AM

110 posts, read 136,294 times
Did anyone go to the protest? How did it go?

Old 08-14-2018, 10:50 AM

15 posts, read 22,395 times
Oh boy, the protest session.
Protest consisted of pressing the "protest" button next to the question and typing away to whatever you have to say in defense for your answer. Several questions I got wrong because didn't pay close enough attention, several correct answers, in their opinion, seemed like a total bs to me. Now to wait some more what will come out of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City