Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 08:18 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,560,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissioner Dreams View Post
Hey man I am in the early 500s, can you give me a range of the 400s your number was? I got certified on open data but I don't expect to receive a mail. so I just want to know if I should get my hopes up.
Never get your hope up with these kind of thing. Always hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Nothing is set in stone until you start on your first day of the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 10:13 AM

155 posts, read 164,654 times
Quote:
Hey man I am in the early 500s, can you give me a range of the 400s your number was? I got certified on open data but I don't expect to receive a mail. so I just want to know if I should get my hopes up.
I would guess if you already did not get it, you are unlikely to (from this list). I am in the 300s and certified on OpenData, but no letter.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 AM

110 posts, read 135,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximpnyc View Post
I would guess if you already did not get it, you are unlikely to (from this list). I am in the 300s and certified on OpenData, but no letter.

How is this possible if I got a letter? Selective certification?

Old 12-04-2019, 10:59 AM

155 posts, read 164,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetulantMasticator View Post
How is this possible if I got a letter? Selective certification?
Dunno, but I suspect they get the certified lists and just pull names off them using their own criteria or even randomly. In SA lists I have been certified 9 times at this point, but no letters. Similarly, I had dozens of canvass letters for a number of NYS position lists (which seems to be basically equivalent to being in a certified list in NYC), but the first time it has gotten further is an interview tomorrow.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 PM

15 posts, read 12,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Never get your hope up with these kind of thing. Always hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Nothing is set in stone until you start on your first day of the job.

My situation is different. I'm a temp working in a very good agency. They are in the process of getting me a start date with a comm cord title but I feel a letter with a pool invitation would speed things up. Also they almost never go to the pool in this agency. Also want to start as soon as possible to work towards the incumbent rate for the associate SA which I will be on the list on when it comes out.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
My situation is different. I'm a temp working in a very good agency. They are in the process of getting me a start date with a comm cord title but I feel a letter with a pool invitation would speed things up. Also they almost never go to the pool in this agency. Also want to start as soon as possible to work towards the incumbent rate for the associate SA which I will be on the list on when it comes out.
I see...they are looking to do a DP-72. Well, hopefully you get invited soon. Wish you the best there.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:02 AM

15 posts, read 12,562 times
Thanks. I'm just a little scared of asking for an update and told myself I will only ask again about the start date when I get an invitation to the pool.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I'm just a little scared of asking for an update and told myself I will only ask again about the start date when I get an invitation to the pool.
You are doing the right thing. Only ask when you are invited to the hiring pool. Also, keep in mind, even when you are invited to a hiring pool, it doesn’t necessary mean your current agency can pick you up because sometime the HR wouldn’t allow it. There are various reason, one of those reason could be different job duties, so they might not be able to simply pick you off the list and let you keep your current position.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:50 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,934,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
You are doing the right thing. Only ask when you are invited to the hiring pool. Also, keep in mind, even when you are invited to a hiring pool, it doesn’t necessary mean your current agency can pick you up because sometime the HR wouldn’t allow it. There are various reason, one of those reason could be different job duties, so they might not be able to simply pick you off the list and let you keep your current position.
They must have that title allocated by the agencys budget department

Old 12-05-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
They must have that title allocated by the agencys budget department
Thanks for the great input there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City