Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:01 AM

7 posts, read 12,693 times

Advertisements

$200 to $300 approx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I was eating out for a while because I got tired of eating the same things at home and supermarket prices were going up anyway. As a single person I found I didn't save too much money by eating at home for one person.

I just started eating at home again because I was tired of spending so much on food and *still being hungry due to small portions. Now that I've been eating at home again I spend a little less BUT NOT MUCH. The trade off is I have stuff at home vs going somewhere to buy it everyday.

When I sat down and crunched numbers I was shocked. I spend between somewhere between $25/30 a day on food. Some of you will say that's crazy...oatmeal only costs a few pennies and pasta is cheap. Maybe true but when you add meat dairy grains ***fresh fruit and vegetables the cost rises.

What do you spend on food per month ? I average $900 which included snacks seltzer water etc. which is absolutely insane but vital to my existence on this earth
My dear you do not need to eat miserly portions simply to remain within a budget.

Am guessing your mother or some other older female didn't teach you much about home economics, that is how to not only shop for groceries, but prepare nutritious meals but still stay within allotted amounts per period.

First and foremost you can knock "snacks" off your list. Such things normally aren't very healthy anyway and are just filling you up with empty calories. If you must however see the next suggestion.

Before grocery shopping each week or period you must plan meals. Even living alone you can cook something that will last for one or two meals that can be filled in with veggies and some sort of starch and or carb. Once you have decided on the rough outlines of what is needed next..

Make a list for grocery shopping. This is a must as numerous studies going back decades have proven persons spend more on groceries when they do not have a list. Ours is kept on the fridge held by a magnet so can jot things down as they run out or think of them. Such as when milk is getting low or need eggs and butter to bake a cake.

Learn about the supermarkets in your area and in particular how they price. Food Emporium tends to have better quality but are more expensive in our area. Meanwhile Associated is good for groceries but their meats and poultry are slipping. Fairway on East 86th has excellent fresh veggies, fruits and many other things but you have to watch the prices.

First thing when you enter a supermarket is to grab the weekly sales circular. I make it a habit of knowing when each come out for local supermarkets and pop in to grab one when passing. Once you have a circular start looking for things that you purchase and or need that are on sale.

Look first for your staples such as coffee, tea, frozen or fresh veggies, rice, pasta, etc... Then move onto meats, poultry and even those snacks you like so well. However it is important to know what the normal price for items are versus the sale. Also in NYC there is a tendency for products make the rounds of being on sale different weeks at different supermarkets but at different prices. For instance Tropicana OJ is on sale at least once a month at Associated Supermarket. Usually something like 2 for $6. However the next week it will be on sale at Food Emporium 2 for $6.50 or even $7.

When possible never purchase single or individual sized portions of anything unless on sale and even then. Such things most always cost more because you are paying for the handling.

If you are going to cook again learn to prepare at least meats or poultry that can go for more than one meal. I mean if you are going to fry chicken doing four or six pieces is no more trouble than two.

Depending upon the size of your freezer look for sales/specials on meats and poultry then stock up.

Learn from our mothers, grandmothers and so forth; that is learn to prepare cheaper cuts of meat into delicious and nutritious meals. Pot roast and or roasts in general, along with stews are easy to make and can often be done cheaply (especially when the ingredients are on sale), and also can stretch for more than one meal. You can always divide portions of stews and other certain dishes up and freeze.

Take a trip to the library and or search online for tips, hints and recipes.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:10 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
$58 per week at trader joe's +/- $10 depending on if I have something special in mind I want to cook. How in the world do you spend $900. I think I eat a lot and buy a lot of crap.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Last food tally:

Feb 2013... IN: $238.37... OUT: $202.75 ... TOTAL: $441.12

This was a short month so figure about $500 for 2 of us. Almost all food "out" is at bargain lunch prices, Chinese, Indian, Thai or Taco Bell (our only fast food.)
Food does not include alcohol.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-11-2014 at 07:03 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 AM

782 posts, read 858,375 times
The key to not spending a lot is to maximize fruits and veggies....for $20 at my local fruit store, I can get a week's worth of apples, salad greens, zucchini, tomatoes etc. A good three bags full of fresh produce.

Now the supermarket is a different animal entirely....
$20 at your local supermarket unfortunately buys you a half gallon of Organic milk and a couple snacks. The worst feeling is when you run to foodtown to grab a few things, and then watch at checkout as it somehow rings up to $54.75.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
I have no idea how much I spend on food.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Wife and i spend about $30-$75 a week at Trader Joes.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I have an excel file so I track literally every dollar I spend in every area of my life.

If I wanted to be good, I could spend $250-$300 on food per month. When I was unemployed, this is all my husband and I would spend. We would maybe get takeout once every two weeks. But we were very conservative with our money and that does not include buying tons of processed crap. This just means you shop sales, stock up, freeze things constantly, etc. No Costco necessary. You just learn what the "good price" is for something and buy it at that time.

Now that times are better, we usually spend the $300 at the store but I also have a budget of $250 for eating out---which includes restaurants, takeout, coffee, etc. Many months I don't even hit the $250 mark. Sometimes I'm under $300 a month for groceries as well. But it's not that hard---it just takes a little learning and some smart shopping.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:24 PM

478 posts, read 773,210 times
I'm single and I have a hard time keeping it under $500, out and in. (Yes, I actually keep a record).
I suppose if I didn't have to work, I could spend more time soaking beans and planning with leftovers, but I find I have no time for that kind of stuff.
And cashiers like to add to your monthly total. Last week I paid $4 for two peaches at $3.95 a pound at Associated, when they were actually on sale for $1.29. I guess I got distracted when I noticed I was being overcharged a buck for a frozen dinner, and missed the peaches thing.
It would be nice to have a costco in the neighborhood.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I have an excel file so I track literally every dollar I spend in every area of my life..
Good lord lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: