Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:24 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,034,479 times

Advertisements

I try hard to eat healthy, and that includes produce, dairy and meats that are well-sourced (i.e. not factory-farmed and at least the "dirty dozen" in produce organic) where I can... Also always cook breakfast and almost always dinner at home. I generally average about $45-50 a week for myself only for that. Lunches I do buy out - generally average about $40-45 a week on that. So about $350/month.

I stock up whenever there are good specials on stuff I use, and I belong to the local food co-op, which cuts down on costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:05 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
For all those who "try to eat healthy" if you smoke, drink, do drugs, spend a lot of time in the sun (and don't have natural dark skin pigmentation), have family history of diseases you're screwed anyway.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 PM

10 posts, read 9,284 times
Bookmarked. If you can please add your neighborhood and income as well, this would be useful for comparative analysis.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:17 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
I can't believe the number of people who survive for under $500.....and a family to boot. You must be buying chicken necks and pinto beans.

I figure the best I can do is $15 a day by eating at home and that's pushing it. Who has time to do the shopping cut vegetables cook and work full time ? Even if you weren't working 9-5 just going to the supermarket and vegetable stands is a chore in and of itself.

I don't think asking income level or neighborhood is polite or secure on city data. I prefer to ask what supermarket you shop at....that tells all.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i would guess about 1000-1400 a month . our basic food bill for my wife and i runs about 200 a week . the weekends we eat out a lot as we are on the go with our photography. at least every other weekend we see a set of kids and grandkids and take them out for lunch or dinner

Old 07-14-2014, 05:54 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
^^^^I wanna see some greens in there somewhere, homie. Make your son big and strong. Greens and meat. Like caveman.
Yeah my bad. We do buy our veggies tho. A new farmers' market opened up a block away from me for the summer - gotta check it out soon.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-14-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
No offense my friend but you eat crap. I could go to Western Beef and stock up on processed junk for cheap but I don't. Some people drink booze other people eat junk..all vices. Tough Love.

Almost nothing I buy is processed minus a few snack foods. I shop at Fairway, Stiles Farmer's Market, Gristides and fruit stands on the street. I am getting clobbered. Sometimes the cheaper places aren't worth it because the food spoils too soon and I throw it out.

I figure since I don't go out to bars anymore I could treat myself to good food.

The price of FRUIT is insane. I could easily spend $6/7 a day just on a few grapes two bananas an orange and apple. What is crazy about eating that much fruit...nothing.

The one thing that did help was to stop eating salads out. That has to be the biggest rip off ever.

Eating healthy is definitely more expensive than eating poorly but I've got so many vices as it is that eating healthy is a must. That's the bare minimum IMO.

My food budget cuts into my entertainment money in a big way. Thank G I don't like going out in NYC anyway or else I'd be spooning gruel on the weekends.
If you live to 150 then congrats.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
For all those who "try to eat healthy" if you smoke, drink, do drugs, spend a lot of time in the sun (and don't have natural dark skin pigmentation), have family history of diseases you're screwed anyway.
Yeah I don't buy into that eat healthy stuff. I just think it's a new gimmick to make people spend their money. I don't worry about it and just eat what I like. Life isn't permanent. If it's my time to go then it's my time to go.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah I don't buy into that eat healthy stuff. I just think it's a new gimmick to make people spend their money. I don't worry about it and just eat what I like. Life isn't permanent. If it's my time to go then it's my time to go.

Amen to that.

When I hear fools babble about Quinoa and "Organic apples at $4 a pound," or organic milk at double the price (as if there are inorganic cows made from metal) I know I am listening to a moron.
Worse, when they preface it with "Dr. OZ says" then I know it's time to walk away.
A tiny friend who drags 4 gallons of plastic water every week from Food Emporium complained that her 3 wheel cart upset into Third Avenue while negotiating a curb. I expressed concern but when I hung up I laughed so hard I almost peed myself. "Oh I'd NEVER drink tap water"

Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute and two to take 'em."

ORGANIC food differs from other food in that it has a label attached...labels are 2 for a penny.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:06 AM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I can't believe the number of people who survive for under $500.....and a family to boot. You must be buying chicken necks and pinto beans.

I figure the best I can do is $15 a day by eating at home and that's pushing it. Who has time to do the shopping cut vegetables cook and work full time ? Even if you weren't working 9-5 just going to the supermarket and vegetable stands is a chore in and of itself.

I don't think asking income level or neighborhood is polite or secure on city data. I prefer to ask what supermarket you shop at....that tells all.
As I mentioned we are at $100 per person per month for food. No chicken necks lol. I buy at costco, small ethnic markets, and at pathmark (but only for a handful of things, like pulp OJ which costco doesn't sell). In terms of what we eat, breakfast is usually pancakes, waffles, muffins, frittatas, croissants (make them myself... ingredients are less than $1 per dozen), fruit, fruit juice, turkey bacon, I sometimes have steamed veggies for breakfast. Lunch is sandwiches, fruit, leftovers, salads, soup. Dinner is rice/ bean dishes, broiled/ roasted chicken dishes, pizza/ calzones/ stuffed breads (homemade), pasta, more salads and fruit. It's all delicious, reasonably healthy, but you're correct it's tedious and time consuming to be cooking so much. I'm not even sure it would be worth it for a single person to bother with much cooking from scratch since it's hard to cook in tiny batches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: