Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

It seems like politicians in this country don't care about
us after they get elected. They just want to get elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
It seems like politicians in this country don't care about
us after they get elected. They just want to get elected.
On this topic, we're in total agreement. Democrats are pandering to the hispanic voters through their supposed "humane and proper" treatment of illegals, which in fact is just tacit approval of the ongoing invasion. Stop blindly supporting people like DeBlasio while demonizing republicans and conservatives and you might help us effect some change.

Supporting illegals only hurts America citizens. Who cares what they want or what they are willing to do? They're NOT AMERICANS! We're literally handing our country over on a silver platter.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 PM

260 posts, read 433,538 times
Apparently conservatives are all for state and local rights, until it means supporting things they oppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Supporting illegals only hurts America citizens. Who cares what they want or what they are willing to do? They're NOT AMERICANS! We're literally handing our country over on a silver platter.
Who is included in "our country"?

It's as if to say our country never allowed mass immigration to occur before.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:35 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
AMERICAN CITIZENS. Stop playing games, you're not being "smart" or "tricky". It's quite simple, and only those who are looking to find racism in everything they see don't understand this. Those who want to be American citizens can follow the LEGAL paths which are available to do so, regardless of their nation of birth, skin color, religion, sex, etc.

Times were different in the past, and the laws of the time reflected such. The immigration policies of the past are no more relevant today than the anti-sodomy or slavery laws we've rightfully moved away from.

"Our country" means the United States of America: those born citizens and those who've sworn allegiance to such after following the law. Everyone else is either a visitor or a criminal. It's not rocket science. Some of us are still proud to say "our country." I'll shout it until the day I die or until the I day die defending our nation from the progressive plague, whichever comes first.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM

260 posts, read 433,538 times
As if Mexicans and Central Americans actually have a legitimate pathway into the country. Our immigration system is mostly about family and has little to do with employment. One of the only developed countries like this.

Many don't even wish to stay permanently. They just want to come to work and enjoy a better life until their countries improve, which is happening in Mexico's case.

I never brought up race. That is another issue entirely.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:31 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
One good thing about these illegal "ID" cards is they easily identify anyone carrying them as almost certainly as being such. NYC government knows this and that is why you are going to see a big push to get persons like the homeless, transgender, and others who are Americans but have problems acquiring proper ID to sign on.

Banking officials have already told NYC that the requirements for opening accounts are set by the federal government and are very strict. If the supporting documents required to obtain this NYC ID card, banks will and cannot accept them, end of story.

Many of the other cities or states that have issued such ID cards do so with something clearly printed "Not Valid For Federal Purposes". That is you cannot use them for anything connected with the US government from boarding an airplane to opening a bank account.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:33 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Yeah, I've heard this before. Sorry, that ship has sailed. Want to get on a plane, even domestically? Show your ID. Want to open a bank account? Show your ID. Want to drive? At least have your ID with you unless you get pulled over. Want to get a job? Show your ID (form I-9 IIRC.) The question is, what ID, and how secure it is. Also, ever hear of the REAL ID act? The feds have already taken some control over state IDs.

The money angle is sort of new. But the government has the power to create money, and the power to decide what form it takes. If it wants it to be on a card and traceable, as opposed to green ink on cotton rag paper, it can do it.

And who would be suffering? I hate to break it to you, but cash is a PITA. I had this epiphany while trying to buy some cleaning goop at 11:30 PM at a drug store. I wanted to pay by cash. The clerk had run out of change and had to go looking for it. Late at night this was a problem with most of the store staff gone. This gummed up the works, and there was now a line building. This was around the time all the stores were putting in the card swipers that are so common now. I noticed it, asked if I could use my debit card, and I was out of the store 20 seconds later. Paper cash is really obsolete.

Quote:
^ sounds great, until you take out the electronic aspect of your plan and realize that "show me your papers" already happened in the 30's and 40's...

Citizen should not suffer due to the criminality of foreigners. We know who they are. Deport them at gunpoint by walking them over a bridge and punish those who employ them or have in the past. Simple.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
The government doesn't need to hold the money. It can connect to the banking system. But the card would have some value stored on it, so that the whole process doesn't have to done on line.

As far as getting support, the question is, do people what to beotch about the illegals as a problem, or actually do something about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Nobody is gonna let the government hold their money. Conservatives especially would torpedo the idea and Liberals would not want to burden the poor illegals who through no fault of their own broke into the country and are living here illegally. So basically your idea as stated would have 0.00001% support

I do think we need a national ID card though that should be easy to get for everyone who can prove their citizenship. It would replace the Driver's license which is dumb to use as the defacto ID. "Show me your papers" by authorities would still be illegal (and tracking of the card should be illegal), but if you want to vote then I'm sorry you need to get that card

Old 07-11-2014, 05:19 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Quote:
Times were different in the past, and the laws of the time reflected such. The immigration policies of the past are no more relevant today than the anti-sodomy or slavery laws we've rightfully moved away from.
This is off topic, but why do you apply this logic to immigration laws of the past, yet you are one of the most steadfast defenders of the 2nd amendment. Like you said, times were different in the past, and the laws reflect the time period.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
In a few decades there will no longer be a United States of America, just Mexico, and Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City