Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,311,370 times

Advertisements

I use a cleaning service. It's a company that sends someone (usually someone different) every time. I have the cleanings scheduled for every other week and these regular cleanings have been ongoing for over a year. The service is really easy to use as I can schedule and make changes to the appointments online. The cleanings are billed directly to my card each time and the charge includes everything, even taxes and tip (stated on the website). As such, the cost per hour is a bit higher than what I could pay an independent cleaning person.

The other day I had an interesting experience with the lady that showed up to clean. Upon leaving she said "you know you're supposed to tip cleaning people." My mouth dropped and I paused before saying "this service includes tip." She said they aren't given tips by the company. I told her that I don't have cash on me (truth) and that I use this service specifically because it's a cashless transaction (truth). She then left my apartment. I should also point out that she was not an exceptional cleaner. I had to clean several things she missed.

After that exchange, I called the company and explained what just happened. I asked if indeed the price I pay "includes tip" and if I'm expected to tip more. The customer service person said "tip is included..they are paid very well". Which to me implied that they may not be tipped directly, but get a higher than typical wage. So I did a bit of digging and found out that these cleaning people are paid $21 per hour by the company. I have a couple of friends that use independent cleaning ladies and they charge $15-$18/hour.

So my question is for those that use regular cleaning services in NYC, what do you pay per hour? Is it an independent person or via a service? Do you tip them? If the service states the fee is all inclusive would you still tip extra? Also, how would you react to someone basically demanding a tip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,981,809 times
tipping is out of control in this country. Practice should be abolished

Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
It's such a hacky thing to say at this point, but that is 1st world problems like a mf'r right there....
LOL!!!! One would think that but I can tell you that in the very 3rd world country where my family is from, it's common practice to have "house people". A lot of homes are built with boys quarters for the staff. I even have a friend that recently moved back that has everything from a maid, to a cook, to a woman that comes to do her nails! Of course, these are the lifestyles of those that are well off. Mind you, not mega rich but our (upper) middle class money will get you a very cushy lifestyle in other countries.

But I agree with sirtiger, the tipping is getting out of hand here. It's one thing to tip someone that earns below minimum wage but it's another to tip someone that's paid well above minimums. The exception being for something that's done above and beyond standard service.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:10 AM

10,219 posts, read 19,097,834 times
Well, either she's trying to double-dip, or the company is lying to the people they send to clean. Either way, you should take it up with the service company.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Well, either she's trying to double-dip, or the company is lying to the people they send to clean. Either way, you should take it up with the service company.
I did. I called them right after the incident. I also confirmed through other sources (Glassdooor.com) how much the cleaners get paid. That's why I know it's $21/hour. I'm just looking for additional feedback on tipping practices and fees from others that use cleaning services in NYC.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,183,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
LOL!!!! One would think that but I can tell you that in the very 3rd world country where my family is from, it's common practice to have "house people". A lot of homes are built with boys quarters for the staff. I even have a friend that recently moved back that has everything from a maid, to a cook, to a woman that comes to do her nails! Of course, these are the lifestyles of those that are well off. Mind you, not mega rich but our (upper) middle class money will get you a very cushy lifestyle in other countries.

You know what I mean. I'm not referring to the few wealthy people in those countries with that statement.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You know what I mean. I'm not referring to the few wealthy people in those countries with that statement.
It's not that few. We're not all running around in the bush in Africa

Huge tangent, but if you're curious to see a lifestyle not ever portrayed by mass media, feel free to watch this

http://m.youtube.com/user/AnAfricanCity

The writer created it specially to address the stereotypical portrayal of Africans...

Old 07-13-2014, 10:38 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,013,773 times
I don't use a cleaning service, but I can tell you that I would tip $2 to $3 to the Fresh Direct delivery people when I was using that service. I think they also get paid well, and the company says there is no need to tip them. However, I had an injury at the time I was using them and I was just so grateful to have the groceries arriving at my door that I always saved out a few bucks to give them.

However, I will say that if I had not tipped one of them and he had told me I owed him a tip, I would have been on the phone immediately complaining to the company.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,183,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
It's not that few. We're not all running around in the bush in Africa

Huge tangent, but if you're curious to see a lifestyle not ever portrayed by mass media, feel free to watch this

http://m.youtube.com/user/AnAfricanCity

The writer created it specially to address the stereotypical portrayal of Africans...

I mean, I'm not watching all of that. Is it some sort of African "housewives" reality show? Ok, but I'm positive that the majority of the population of third world countries don't live like that or even close to it. And I'm not only referring to Africa. I'm not looking to get into a whole thing with you here. Was just looking to make a humorous quip at your little situation.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM

33,363 posts, read 46,784,531 times
Quote:
I mean, I'm not watching all of that. Is it some sort of African "housewives" reality show? Ok, but I'm positive that the majority of the population of third world countries don't live like that or even close to it. And I'm not only referring to Africa. I'm not looking to get into a whole thing with you here. Was just looking to make a humorous quip at your little situation.
Actually I have several friends from DR who have told me that it's common practice to have a maid. And their families would be considered middle class down there. Definitely not wealthy.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City