Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I'm stressed out that three and half million people just moved here overnight!

Where are they getting that number? It's certainly not the metro area....
The 8 mil that you often hear about probably refers to IRS residents, but the actual # of ppl in NYC on any given day may well be 3~4 mil extra including part-time residents/visitors/"undocumented" residents and their babies/international employees, etc, who are often not counted in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
No disagreement from me.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I agree that New York can be horribly stressful but a lot depends on your circumstances.
For example the first sentence:
Quote:

From sky-high rents and gridlocked traffic to widespread poverty and
unemployment, residents in these cities have a lot to stress about.
Someone with a job just making their nut, worried about losing a hateful job, with nothing in the bank...and endlessly driving to and fro, life is going to be nothing but stressful Hell.

But if someone has reasonable housing costs, no need for a car, some money in the bank and no need to worry about a job, life in the City can be quite unstressful.
Stress is relative.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-17-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 08:23 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Agree 100%. Crowded, little time to relax, high cost of living. The saving grace for me is that I live in a quiet area that I like. I remember one of my most stressful days 3 years ago: Coming home from a 13 hour day, Getting a seat that at the end had a passed out drunk man at the end. (Newer model train) The guy peed himself. Guess who wound up with greeting wet with the tide? Me. I blamed myself partially for sitting there but was sooo tired after being on my feet all day and busy. Thankfully it was 2 stops from home at the time. I bathed in pure alcohol let me tell you.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
So the D.Scott, that was the opposite of being pissed off?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So the D.Scott, that was the opposite of being pissed off?
Literally, yes. Like falling up the stairs or getting hit by a parked car.

I am a glass half full guy you know. So after washing in alcohol (And downing some, Not the rubbing alcohol though a colt 45) I told myself "Hey, At least it was not doo-doo." Got to stay positive in this crazy world. Colt 45 does really work every time by the way.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:41 AM

72 posts, read 124,809 times
Very stressful city indeed. I had so many days when some kind of **** happened in the street, subway, supermarket, workplace, or even in a park. What can you expect, there are one million different nationalities, different cultures and approaches. If I had the means I would live somewhere else in the States, maybe San Diego or Seattle. It comes a moment in your life that you get enough of crap and you need to leave everything behind and search for some relax. I had my share of stress in NYC, but still miss the city many times now that I'm abroad.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 AM

283 posts, read 369,778 times
I live in a small town in KY and I find it extremely stressful here. There is NOTHING TO DO. I experience sensory deprivation here, and the residents just sit and do NOTHING. It drives me nuts. The only time when I can truly relax is during our annual NYC trip. Only then do I feel myself opening up. Consider yourselves lucky- you could be stuck here.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
You can't walk down the sidewalk without getting stressed out.
Walking down the sidewalk in NYC doesn't stress me out!

Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I agree that New York can be horribly stressful but a lot depends on your circumstances.
For example the first sentence:

Someone with a job just making their nut, worried about losing a hateful job, with nothing in the bank...and endlessly driving to and fro, life is going to be nothing but stressful Hell.

But if someone has reasonable housing costs, no need for a car, some money in the bank and no need to worry about a job, life in the City can be quite unstressful.
Stress is relative.
And there are a lot of people living like that as well in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: