Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times

Advertisements

So we're kind of at a loss trying to find a contractor. We can't find any real recommendations.

The first one kept suggesting things we had NO interest in doing, repeatedly. I missed the appointment (thanks flat tire!) but he kept telling my husband that I would want this and that, none of which I actually want. He thinks he's going to get a garbage chute going out of our apartment window. Yeah, okay.

The second one we liked but his estimate is for somewhere between 17-18K. This is a small bathroom and we're not even removing the tub.

The third one was late. Didn't tell us he was going to be late until my husband messaged him. Then he said ten more minutes. Then twenty minutes later my husband and I gave up. My husband messaged him to tell him we were leaving the apartment and he said he was sorry he couldn't find the place. (Apparently, it's difficult to call and ask us where to go.) We saw his car drive by as we left forty minutes after he was supposed to come.

Please, please PM me if you can recommend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
people usually just use angie's list

Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
I'm dreading my kitchen reno for this reason, so many flaky contractors out there.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
By the way, I think for this kind of thing it's allowable to post the company names here - and it certainly should be, because it would be one of the things to make the forums truly useful.

I don't have anyone to recommend, but I will tell you my method. I went to every good bathroom fixture place in town, browsed their showrooms, and then asked them for recommendations. I got a pretty good selections. Start with Smolka on East 33rd, which, by the way, I highly recommend for purchases.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 22,761 times
I live on the UES and am just starting the process for my bathroom renovation. I found a great showroom on LI that I used for my Kitchen also, so I would recommend them for your vanity. It's called Gold Coast Cabinet in Massapequa, Home.

I'm purchasing my cabinetry through them, and while I already have someone in my family to do the work, I have a friend who used a contractor they recommended and she was very happy with the work. Good luck with your renovation!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
people usually just use angie's list
I don't know anyone who actually uses it. Seems overpriced and I've read that people can pay to look better on there anyway, so then it is just as good as Yelp/Google/etc. (Except now you're paying.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm dreading my kitchen reno for this reason, so many flaky contractors out there.
My dad is very good at renovating (and he actually renovated his entire bathroom himself, which looks completely professional) but he is getting older now and he does not want to deal with the plumbing. (Especially because I'm in a coop.) The kitchen is next so I am already dreading it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
By the way, I think for this kind of thing it's allowable to post the company names here - and it certainly should be, because it would be one of the things to make the forums truly useful.

I don't have anyone to recommend, but I will tell you my method. I went to every good bathroom fixture place in town, browsed their showrooms, and then asked them for recommendations. I got a pretty good selections. Start with Smolka on East 33rd, which, by the way, I highly recommend for purchases.
That is a good idea. I agree---anyone can post on here if they wish, I just know some people don't like to. (But believe me---having a post with some actual recommendations would be nice.) I actually did try to search on here but no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snr002 View Post
I live on the UES and am just starting the process for my bathroom renovation. I found a great showroom on LI that I used for my Kitchen also, so I would recommend them for your vanity. It's called Gold Coast Cabinet in Massapequa, Home.

I'm purchasing my cabinetry through them, and while I already have someone in my family to do the work, I have a friend who used a contractor they recommended and she was very happy with the work. Good luck with your renovation!
The vanity is the one thing I bought already, because I needed something small but with storage. (And I found something in gray, no less, which I love.)

Thanks so far, guys. We have two more people coming to give us bids this week. The only guy who gave us an estimate so far would be much cheaper if I dropped the plumbing aspect, but not doing the plumbing (which already had a repair by the crappy previous owners) makes me nervous.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,554 times
Join Angie's List. Lots of people use it - maybe not people you know, but many people do actually use it. membership was $7 a year when I joined.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,706 times
I'd have a chat with your super (or doorman) on who has done work in the building before. Also some co-ops are super picky and have rules when it comes to plumbing and permits, they can stop (or even worse ask you to remove) the renovation if the proper permits aren't in place.

The $17-$18 quote isn't super high depending on what you're asking them to do, especially if there is plumbing involved. I mean replacing a tub isn't that expensive in itself.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Join Angie's List. Lots of people use it - maybe not people you know, but many people do actually use it. membership was $7 a year when I joined.
$7/year? Not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I'd have a chat with your super (or doorman) on who has done work in the building before. Also some co-ops are super picky and have rules when it comes to plumbing and permits, they can stop (or even worse ask you to remove) the renovation if the proper permits aren't in place.

The $17-$18 quote isn't super high depending on what you're asking them to do, especially if there is plumbing involved. I mean replacing a tub isn't that expensive in itself.
We already talked to the board (looking for recommendations) and the super. They aren't really picky they just want to make sure the person is licensed/insured. What we are doing doesn't require permits.

The labor to replace the tub would have been a lot because of the work involved. The plumber does not have to change anything around---the layout is staying the same. I'll be buying everything. He is going to replace a few things and install a few fixtures. I think the plumbing aspect of the quote is a little expensive (around 7K) but I'm thinking about just seeing what another plumber says it would cost.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I need my kitchen done, I need my bathroom done.
The whole concept is making me nauseous.

Maybe I'll luck out and die first.

The alternative: "You are getting very sleepy: you LOVE your kitchen and bathroom. You NEVER want to change it."

So I did a new toilet and a fancy faucet for a couple hundred and I tell myself it look good. It DOES help a bit. I bought a new high kitchen faucet and I'm debating installing it myself, but my ugly cabinets need an AXE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City