Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:39 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times

Advertisements

.... and I'm not talking "Manhattan". I mean the outer boroughs. I currently live on LI and I absolutely HATE it!!! I've been wanting to move to Queens or Brooklyn for the longest time (I actually lived in NYC for the better part of my life and moved out to suburban HELL about 16 years ago and have wanted to move back ever since.).

Anyway, I've been looking all over at apartments in Queens and I can't believe not only how high the rents are but how much they've gone up over the past six months! I'm not familiar with Brooklyn neighborhoods but the rents there are just as high (if not higher) and the rents that seem affordable are in areas I know to be unsafe or undesirable in some other way.

Just looking at these rents and thinking about all the other bills (Con Ed, cable, MetroCard, Brooklyn Union Gas, groceries, etc) I can't help but wonder how in the world do working class people make it in NYC???? I am a single mother (divorced) of a teenager so college is very close on the horizon as well.

Other than working 2 full time jobs and a part time job on the weekends, how do you make it????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 05:45 PM

124 posts, read 149,716 times
They dont. Half of NYC pop. is below poverty line. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/ny...inds.html?_r=0

Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Most people really struggle in New York, despite all the glamour portrayed in the New York Times real estate section. My 32-year-old cousin just moved to New Orleans. She is making similar money and for the first time in her life can save. Loves it there.

I suggest you and others explore other cities.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 PM

124 posts, read 149,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Most people really struggle in New York, despite all the glamour portrayed in the New York Times real estate section. My 32-year-old cousin just moved to New Orleans. She is making similar money and for the first time in her life can save. Loves it there.

I suggest you and others explore other cities.
^

Old 05-03-2014, 06:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Amisi, many people in NYC live with multiple roommates or multiple families. There are families with children living with other families with children or other working adults.

You could afford those high priced apartments if you were willing to live in them with 4 other people. I knew a Pakistani family that at times had 20 people in one apartment. So if you're married with kids find another husband and wife to live with, and throw in an additional aunt or uncle.

Of course I don't recommend living in those slum conditions, but that is how a good part of the city lives. Half the city is below the poverty line.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Rents are increasing in Queens for the same reasons they are elsewhere in NYC. Demand, demand, demand.

No small number of even "middle class" households are being pushed out of Manhattan and have to go somewhere. No, were are not talking about "hipsters" or gentrification but people like you and I who get up everyday and go to work.

How to people make it? Same as they did back in the day. Know your monthly nut and if it cannot be covered from your day job then start hustling another gig at nights and or on weekends.

Lots of young and even middle aged persons work two or even three jobs. A few of the "young" kids in my building bartend on weekends, dog sit/walk, or whatever they need to do to bring in extra money.

The other option of course is communal living with a roommate or two (or three), or move in with bf/gf if not marry; again anything to split expenses.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:12 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Work extra hard and get lucky. Or give up many a luxuries. Or go into massive debt and eventual bankruptcy.

I think this is a nationwide pandemic and not limited to NYC. Probably more noticeable in NYC from those observing from outside NYC due to the higher than average costs but adjust the scale and it's going on right in everyone's backyards.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
So depressing!

I guess I'm going to have to make some alternative plan. I've never ever lived with room mates and don't plan on doing so now as grown woman with a teenager!

G-Dale.... "give up many a luxuries" LOL!!!! As if!! I wish I HAD a luxury!! I don't have a smart phone, I may buy new clothing or shoes every couple of years, I haven't had a haircut in about 2 1/2 years, I don't take vacations or go out or anything else. I wish I had a luxury to give up!!! I am bare-bones, clip coupons, comparison shop, etc! If I want to go someplace special with my daughter, I save coins in a jar until I have enough. Not sure what else I can do.

Let's ALL hope something in NYC changes. It can't keep going on like this or the city will implode. If rents for 1BR are going to be $3K or a 2BR $4K, real people will never be able to afford that. So, you'll have a bunch of rich people living in the 5 boroughs and then what? Where are all the "service" people going to live?? Your cashiers, servers, fast food workers, cleaners, etc etc etc

Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
So depressing!

I guess I'm going to have to make some alternative plan. I've never ever lived with room mates and don't plan on doing so now as grown woman with a teenager!

G-Dale.... "give up many a luxuries" LOL!!!! As if!! I wish I HAD a luxury!! I don't have a smart phone, I may buy new clothing or shoes every couple of years, I haven't had a haircut in about 2 1/2 years, I don't take vacations or go out or anything else. I wish I had a luxury to give up!!! I am bare-bones, clip coupons, comparison shop, etc! If I want to go someplace special with my daughter, I save coins in a jar until I have enough. Not sure what else I can do.

Let's ALL hope something in NYC changes. It can't keep going on like this or the city will implode. If rents for 1BR are going to be $3K or a 2BR $4K, real people will never be able to afford that. So, you'll have a bunch of rich people living in the 5 boroughs and then what? Where are all the "service" people going to live?? Your cashiers, servers, fast food workers, cleaners, etc etc etc
Most rich people are not going to be interested in the outer boroughs, save a few parts of Brooklyn and Queens. Most of Brooklyn and Queens will have 5 or more people to an apartment. That's what life is looking for the majority of New Yorkers. Overcrowded conditions in apartments or single family homes converted into multifamily units.

This also isn't likely to change, as there is a high demand for these overcrowded spaces from out of towners and foreigners.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
What kind of rent are you willing to pay? There might still be a nabe for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City