Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 04:25 PM

287 posts, read 592,053 times

Advertisements

Its an unfortunate story. But the perp should never have resisted and started venting like that.

People, if the police are going to arrest you, just let them! File a complaint or lawsuit later.

I will say, the cop wearing the green shirt should have let up when the other cop (black shirt in the video) told him to let up because he had been restrained already.

That dude is in serious trouble me thinks

Old 07-20-2014, 05:03 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,028,073 times

Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,225,528 times
Watch the video again, and note that it's been edited. What we do see, is that when it begins, two plainclothes officers are quietly speaking with him.
They do not appear to be "narcs", as some have described them. They are most likely "Conditions Officers", who are assigned to deal with minor Quality of Life problems exactly like this one. Every precinct has this unit. Other officers handle other crimes and investigations, apparently much to the surprise of some nitwits posting dumb comments here.
Garner is antagonistic, while not being combative, yet. The officers have obviously told him the charge, since he is denying it. At one point, you can hear the officer tell him, and also point out the man who bought the cigarette! He is calmly asked for ID. He does not produce any. With 31 adult arrests, including 3 pending for untaxed cigs, he knows full well that this means a trip to the station house, and probably Central Booking, and he does not want to go.
Why, this time? Who knows? He puts his hands up and said that he wasn't going. So, it's on. There was no punching, kicking, etc. He head was not slammed into the ground, during the takedown.

Meanwhile, the medics are getting jammed, as well:
http://nypost.com/2014/07/20/4-ems-w...okehold-death/

Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM

539 posts, read 521,318 times
All of the eye witnesses say he wasn't selling cigs at the time.

Also 2 cops put him in a headlock, which is illegal at all times for a cop to do. If that is why he died, those cops better have the book thrown at them. I hate the race card more than just about anyone, but this looks pretty bad. While its impossible to determine if this was race related we do know that the one officer, Daniel Pantaleo, has been sued 3 times in the past 2 years for race related offenses. All of the cases involved him using his force and power to abuse someone of colors civil rights.

While being a cop is a stressful job, we as a society do not deserve to have little pricks like this running the streets with their guns and badges. Hes going to jail, I would bet the house on that.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:21 PM

539 posts, read 521,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Watch the video again, and note that it's been edited. What we do see, is that when it begins, two plainclothes officers are quietly speaking with him.
They do not appear to be "narcs", as some have described them. They are most likely "Conditions Officers", who are assigned to deal with minor Quality of Life problems exactly like this one. Every precinct has this unit. Other officers handle other crimes and investigations, apparently much to the surprise of some nitwits posting dumb comments here.
Garner is antagonistic, while not being combative, yet. The officers have obviously told him the charge, since he is denying it. At one point, you can hear the officer tell him, and also point out the man who bought the cigarette! He is calmly asked for ID. He does not produce any. With 31 adult arrests, including 3 pending for untaxed cigs, he knows full well that this means a trip to the station house, and probably Central Booking, and he does not want to go.
Why, this time? Who knows? He puts his hands up and said that he wasn't going. So, it's on. There was no punching, kicking, etc. He head was not slammed into the ground, during the takedown.
They applied an illegal move on a man who was not carrying a weapon (headlock) which may have been the cause of his death. Even if he didn't die the cops would be punished, but it did actually kill him. If I make an illegal left turn that kills someone, I AM liable. No difference with this.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:29 PM

18,900 posts, read 13,796,327 times
Chokeholds are not illegal for cops to use in NYS. It is prohibited by the NYPD. The difference here being that he can be fired simply for using the technique, but other facts would be required to bring legal charges.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:40 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,028,073 times
The NYPD can't do a chokehold, brother!!! There is only one man who can do the chokehold.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2OR6Kjo5m4

Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 PM

749 posts, read 917,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
My taxes are too high for stuff like this to be happening in the safest Big City in america. Why do they keep churning out new cops all the time? I know they want to replace the ones that are leaving, but maybe we dont need that many cops to begin with if all they do is this.

I know some cops are going to come back and say we dont fully know the story, and we cannot judge based on that vid. But I doubt there is any info that will justify what just happened. The cops did not even try to verbally reason with perp or anything, or get him to calm down. Those cops also look really young. Was this all just some training exercise except everyone but the perp knew about?

A lot has to do with the QUALITY of people that are being hired.............

Old 07-20-2014, 06:50 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,692,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
This is a big person. Maybe they didn't notice he couldn't possibly have troubling breathing. It looks like it.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:50 PM

749 posts, read 917,715 times

He was waiting patiently for something like this to happen.......so he can exercise his power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

View detailed profiles of: