Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

I never understand why the LL has to have a key?, an emergency would be a fire, and trust me, the fire dept dont need a key.

If there was smoke coming from under your door, the LL is NOT going to get a key and open the door to see whats going on, he will call 911.

since you own the apt, change the locka yourself, do not give the key to the owner of the building and call it a day.

I also own a co-op, I have my own locks and our buildings owner does NOT want anyones keys, for various reasons. He is a smart man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I never understand why the LL has to have a key?, an emergency would be a fire, and trust me, the fire dept dont need a key.
Not all emergencies are of the "your apartment is engulfed in flames" variety.

If there's a water leak, the super may need to gain immediate entry, and I don't know that the FDNY is exactly going to come rushing to break down the door for him.

It's also needed for welfare checks. I know it's the kind of thing no one ever thinks will happen to them, but it does happen every single day around the city. Usually elderly people loose contact with their family for several days and the NYPD will go out to make a welfare check on the individual. Unless the super can open the door, the only way they're going to find out that the resident has passed away is later when the stench becomes noticeable outside of the unit. If it's cold and/or a window was left open, this can take longer than you may think.

Hell, my smoke detector has malfunctioned before and gone off non stop for no reason until I took out the battery. If I was away on vacation, I can only imagine what my poor neighbors would have to go through until I got back.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM

624 posts, read 983,005 times
The first thing I did when I moved into my apartment in the Bronx was replace the lock cylinders. It's really easy to do yourself. Just unscrew the lock on your door one time and it should be pretty obvious how it works. You can also get more secure systems such as multi-keys which cannot be reproduced without a proprietary card.

When I move out, I'll put the old cylinders back in and return the old keys to the LL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: