Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:21 PM

28 posts, read 33,767 times

Advertisements

Seeking advise on how to approach potential lateness on rent. My situation is the following: I have lived in my building for 12 months in Manhattan and have always paid on time, but this next month will be quiet taught (transitioning to a different job), and although I should have saved up for this, I have several emergencies during the summer (financially) so now I am anticipating being late for the rent. It is possible that I will be able to pay a portion with a slight delay or the whole 2 months in September (definitely) so I am in no way trying to get out of rent. Just need advise how to approach this. My primary communication has been with the broker (but that was a long time ago, when I moved in), and since then I have been just paying directly to the owner through automatic check withdrawals. SO, should I contact him, or the broker by mail in advance? I assume that it would be better to inform him/her before they try to deposit the electronic check...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 03:55 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycforlife View Post
Seeking advise on how to approach potential lateness on rent. My situation is the following: I have lived in my building for 12 months in Manhattan and have always paid on time, but this next month will be quiet taught (transitioning to a different job), and although I should have saved up for this, I have several emergencies during the summer (financially) so now I am anticipating being late for the rent. It is possible that I will be able to pay a portion with a slight delay or the whole 2 months in September (definitely) so I am in no way trying to get out of rent. Just need advise how to approach this. My primary communication has been with the broker (but that was a long time ago, when I moved in), and since then I have been just paying directly to the owner through automatic check withdrawals. SO, should I contact him, or the broker by mail in advance? I assume that it would be better to inform him/her before they try to deposit the electronic check...
Most LLs won't accept partial payment and September is two months away. Are you saying you are going to pay three months back rent in that month? You'll probably be hauled into landlord and tenant court before that.

For most apartments at least RS units after one is two months late a "Three Day Notice" is sent advising tenant must pay the entire back rent within that period or face eviction proceedings. If payment is not made within that time frame (though some landlords will accept if it arrives later) the LL will file formal notice with the courts to begin eviction due to non-payment. Once this process starts you are dealing with the courts and not the LL. Even if the LL says they will accept the back rent and does so you still should answer any notices from the court bringing proof (cancelled checks, etc...) of payment.

It might be better to avoid all this by begging and or borrowing whatever funds necessary to pay the arrears. Have known peeps that took out cash advances on the credit cards to get some of the funds. Not the wisest thing to do financially but sometimes you gotta do you first.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 PM

nono...it is not about 3 months back rent but about either making partial payment in august- rent is due august 1st...I can basically make full august payment at end of august or combine it for september. so technically i am looking at being late 1 month only. I cannot borrow from anyone. Should i contact landlord or broker..or not contact at all and just pay double in september?
The month that i am considering being late is august

Last edited by nycforlife; 07-19-2014 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
nono...it is not about 3 months back rent but about either making partial payment in august- rent is due august 1st...I can basically make full august payment at end of august or combine it for september. so technically i am looking at being late 1 month only. I cannot borrow from anyone. Should i contact landlord or broker..or not contact at all and just pay double in september?
The month that i am considering being late is august
Am not an attorney nor your landlord so can only offer general advice. Your real estate broker unless acting as the landlord's agent has nothing to do with the collection/payment of rent. Three months late rent is a long time for a landlord to wait without any legal promise (a stipulation agreement worked out in the courts) for his or her money. Again not all landlords will accept partial payments.

Best thing to do is contact your landlord directly and see what he or she as to say on the matter.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 PM

I have already tried to write twice that i will not be late 3 months just 1 month only.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 PM

my question pertained to whether or not i should contact landlord about this 1 month payment or not prior to him trying to take it out of my account

Old 07-19-2014, 06:14 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times
Yes. Whether you make some BS reason up or you are up front with him is your call, but it will be worse if payment basically bounces.

Quote:
my question pertained to whether or not i should contact landlord about this 1 month payment or not prior to him trying to take it out of my account

Old 07-20-2014, 01:01 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Ha, this perfectly illustrates to me the idiocy of automatic payments, ceding the control of your money to someone else.

If by "owner," you mean that you are subletting a co-op/condo, I'd write a nice note, explaining, and assuring him of your responsibility and good will.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:01 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
BORROW!
But don't be late unless you are overpaying and wouldn't mind an eviction.

Quote:

directly to the owner through automatic check withdrawals.
Does this mean you are going to bounce a check...don't do it.

There must be something you can kite besides your landlord. (Don't people have credit cards?????)

Old 07-20-2014, 02:04 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
BORROW!
But don't be late unless you are overpaying and wouldn't mind an eviction. Does this mean you are going to bounce a check...don't do it.

There must be something you can kite besides your landlord. (Don't people have credit cards?????)

What? I can't imagine anyone would evict on the basis of one late payment, would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: