Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,052,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No one ever presents evidence to the otherwise. There are a number of Asians in the medical profession, but they are underrepresented in the corporate world, media, and government.
Higher education helps most people in general just like it has helped both you and me. It doesn't matter if Asians or any other group are underrepresented in any industry so long as the reason for them being underrepresented are just and fair (i.e. maybe there are few South Asians in hip/hop or heavy metal because of cultural preferences). In the medical profession it's very much a transparent process so in the end those that want it the most and have the aptitude can get it. If a high percentage of certain groups favor one profession over another why should it bother anyone else. I could give a hoot less who's writing my parking ticket, I'll still be pissed at them. (Though I must say if being a meter maid ever becomes a prestigious job the Bangladeshis are done.) It should only be a problem when someone has the talent, credentials, and work ethic, but get's denied an equal opportunity because of other exogenous variables like sex, race, etc.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,029,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Go to an Asian nabe such as Elmhurst, which is far from being affluent, and take a look at the type of businesses occupying the upstairs retail/commercial space on Broadway. To an outsider it would seem like an oversupply of tutoring programs. So its no secret why Asians are getting in vs others. I think any changes made will just be adjusted for by the Asian population to maintain similar acceptance rates. They'll eventually have to limit how many students come from certain nabes such as Elmhurst and Flushing to a specified number of available seats. But even then, they'll still adjust by moving to less of an Asian nabe. Only way to fix will be to force others to study just as hard. If you want to live here under assistance and still be able to get into the best school...then you'll have to put the mandatory library hours in.
Woodside Avenue and other streets in Elmhurst and nearby areas have those same tutoring programs as well.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 PM

5,173 posts, read 5,005,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One of the sad outcomes of civil rights laws is this nonsense that the ratio of minorities in a population must somehow mirror everything from housing to employment. When it doesn't certain groups cry discrimination.

Persons come here illegally and legally speaking not a word of English and attend the same public schools as African Americans and Hispanics/Latinos. Indeed often in the same crappy areas, yet somehow they manage not only to excel academically but go onto higher education and get themselves out of poverty.

Meanwhile the usual suspects are still in the hood claiming someone is keeping them down.

Saying from my own experience, I do not think that what the asian kids learn from the textbooks at school will help them all that much to seize good opportunities later on; instead, I believe it is the focus and working attitude that they form by sitting through those rather dry classroom hours that shape them in a way to make them better and preferable employees than those who over indulge with the freedom of enjoyment in their early lives. When kids can resist the temptation to waste their time fooling around during their early lives, they tend to grow up to have better discipline and also better working ethics when they enter the labor market.

It is sad to see that american politicians today are incompetent to inspire the hard working morals among the young americans; instead they take short cuts to even out racial disparities and tensions. There seems to be a strong latinaization cultural influence taking hold of the US and that is only increasing as time goes on.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Go to an Asian nabe such as Elmhurst, which is far from being affluent, and take a look at the type of businesses occupying the upstairs retail/commercial space on Broadway. To an outsider it would seem like an oversupply of tutoring programs. So its no secret why Asians are getting in vs others. I think any changes made will just be adjusted for by the Asian population to maintain similar acceptance rates. They'll eventually have to limit how many students come from certain nabes such as Elmhurst and Flushing to a specified number of available seats. But even then, they'll still adjust by moving to less of an Asian nabe. Only way to fix will be to force others to study just as hard. If you want to live here under assistance and still be able to get into the best school...then you'll have to put the mandatory library hours in.
I use to have a somewhat negative attitude on all those prep programs because I feel that they're not needed. However, as I have become more and more exposed to how middle class suburbanites raise their kids I can honestly say that those Asian prep schools ain't got nothing on them. From having parents that actually speak some english, private tutoring sessions, stay at home mom with a college education, horse back riding class, summer camp (beats walking to the local elementary school during summer to eat free lunch like I use to do), hockey practice, vacations to Disney (many poor kids never been, the first time I went myself was when I started working in my 20s so I know), one on one SAT tutoring (I use to tutor SAT math one on one in the suburbs), it's a joke that a 6 week prep class can be politicized so much. Actually everything that poor Asians do from crappy piano lessons from hole in the wall music schools to test prep is only because they're trying to mimic what almost all Americans who can afford it do albeit more cheaply and much lower quality. And when I look at it from that angle, I see that they're just trying to sacrifice for their kids like any other responsible parents should do.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 07-19-2014 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 09:43 PM

To a great extent, it is the quality of the student body that shapes a school, not the other way round.

If you swap the students between NYU and Yale, you will likely find that more quality "NYU" grads than the new "Yale" grads.

The secret to the stunning matriculation stats of Hunter college high school every year is mainly attributable to the student body that it recruits. If you replace the current hunter student body with students from an average NYC high school, the same teaching environment will have totally different outcomes.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:48 PM

I understand that if you feel frustrated if you are very focused and very hard working but you still find it hard to beat some asian students. Some of them are truly study robots. But if you are not so hard working and complain about the imbalance of the student population in SHS, you probably should quit blaming and talking down on your hard working peers.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
To a great extent, it is the quality of the student body that shapes a school, not the other way round.

If you swap the students between NYU and Yale, you will likely find that more quality "NYU" grads than the new "Yale" grads.

The secret to the stunning matriculation stats of Hunter college high school every year is mainly attributable to the student body that it recruits. If you replace the current hunter student body with students from an average NYC high school, the same teaching environment will have totally different outcomes.
Totally agree with you. But I can tell you one thing. On average the professors at decent private schools like NYU seem much more motivated and interested in their fields than the professors at a public school. However that's just my experience, not sure if anyone else experienced the same.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I understand that if you feel frustrated if you are very focused and very hard working but you still find it hard to beat some asian students. Some of them are truly study robots. But if you are not so hard working and complain about the imbalance of the student population in SHS, you probably should quit blaming and talking down on your hard working peers.
I would say that that's more a tendency of poor Asians with parents that don't know how to think and plan for their kids properly. You're talking about people that use to farm with their hands not too long ago. Educated parents put more thought into what they put their kids through and know how to speak to them to try to change their behaviors. I was so shocked when I started to talk to more of my coworkers on how to raise kids by their objectiveness. Many are very clear on who their smartest kid is and whom they're willing to spend more money on for education, sports lessons, and etc. They think for their kids from the time that they are born and never stop. However it never seems that way because they know how to mold their kids to be well rounded. I guess that's different than the tiger mom with the one size fits all strategy.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 07-19-2014 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-20-2014, 06:22 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,360,741 times
FIRST: Get information EARLY about the requirements for Specialized High Schools. DO NOT start when you're a rising 8th grader. There are two information sessions this week. Parents, go, even if your child is in elementary school.

SPECIALIZED HS ADMISSIONS INFO SESSIONS:
Tues., July 22, 6:30pm
QUEENS - Queens College (Kupferberg Center for the Arts)
MANHATTAN - Hunter College (The Kaye Playhouse)

Learn more about the high school admissions process: http://tiny.cc/s1rajx

SECOND: Anyone can prepare for the specialized high school exam. One measure is less subjective than multiple measures and puts away any questions about whether you were admitted based on affirmative action.

My family: black American, two kids
1 Stuy grad
1 Tech grad

THIRD: There is a free test prep program offered by the NYCDOE. Please read about DREAM/SHSI.
http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/SHSI/default.htm

MY POSITION ON MULTIPLE MEASURES:
I support the single SHSAT as the sole measure to be admitted to the 8 specialized high schools. Multiple measures, including GPA scores in particular, may not be valid because curricula across schools varies. In school A, kids may be taking Algebra (which is necessary to score high enough on the SHSAT to be admitted to a specialized high school). At school B, there is no Algebra class. Even if you have the ability to do the work, the course may not be available in your school.

Unfortunately, most black and Hispanic kids are not getting Algebra because they live in school districts with Math & ELA scores that are too low to allow Gifted & Talented programs that offer advanced work. It's too bad for the small number of kids who do score well.

What's the answer?
1) Parent(s) and children must learn how the system works to get the most out of it from the early grades through grade 8.
2) Deem education THE priority.
3) Push the elected officials in your community to make education a priority and bring in programs to elevate academic performance.
4) Turn off the TV and the video games (parents, get off them too).

Having passed the SHSAT no one can ever question why or how I got into a specialized high school.

Finally, I want these kids admitted and prepared to do the work. What's the point of getting in if you're not prepared to graduate?

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-20-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,884,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Finally, I want these kids admitted and prepared to do the work. What's the point of getting in if you're not prepared to graduate?
Well of course, the next step would be to dumb down the syllabus! Parents whose children are my kid's classmates in a private school were telling me about how some PS's were quietly infusing weaker students into the G&T classes purportedly so they could "learn" from the smarter kids.

I'd like to see how they do this in FLGHS and Sinatra HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City