Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 12:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

The fact that she manages not to see any people she considers successful and well-off who are not white means she is, indeed, bitter towards white people whom she ASSUMES have everything handed to them on a silver platter. - Hmm, so you ASSUMED that based on the fact that she asked how do "young Whites" afford such high rents? I would have never guessed that a person inquiring how young Whites afford high rent in Manhattan is really a blanket statement for "all White people" have things handed to them on a silver platter. I realize a lot of poor non-Whites do think this but I hope OP, who is college educated, doesn't think like that.

Maybe because I don't associate all "young White people" in expensive sections of Manhattan as representative of all White people, of all ages and economic background, throughout the NYC metro area, I didn't see it as an indictment against all Whites. I read it as an inquiry regarding a certain DEMOGRAPHIC among Whites in Manhattan especially when among young people, it's no secret that more young Whites live in the expensive areas than young people from all other minority groups put together. I'm not talking young people living in college dorm apartments in the area but young people in free-market apartments in expensive sections of Manhattan: the majority of them are White. That's no shocker nor surprise if you live in NYC and have traversed the area, know people or crossed paths with people who live in the area.

It should also be stated that Whites aren't monolithic either. However, seeing the defensive reaction of some posters to the OP does serve some good. See your own defensive responses and assumptions? Those of you so shaken have experienced the emotional stirrings that many Blacks, in particular (but other minorities as well), feel when they (we) read threads are framed asking "Why do Blacks (or other minority) do xyz" or "Why are Blacks xyz". This just confirms that we are all human and have feelings regardless of high or low financial status or educational accomplishment.

It also makes no sense whatsoever that someone who is trying to get ahead would wonder what people of a specific, different race are doing and how they are doing it. Think about it: if she truly wants to improve her life circumstances and needs to ask questions like this, it would make significantly more sense if she asked how people of her particular demographic/background were able to make it work and be successful in Manhattan. - It's not that they don't exist but young people in her particular demographic/background can not afford and do not live in the expensive areas of Manhattan in SIGNIFICANT numbers (and exceptions to the rule are too few in number to matter) so it would be a waste of her time starting a thread to ask that. Please don't use the customers at Whole Foods as a testimony to who lives in the neighborhood. While briefly rooming with a friend in Harlem a couple of years ago and then moving over to NJ for a year, I continued to shop at my favorite locations Trader Joe & Fairway both near 72nd St. Yet, I've never lived in that area, ever. I was initially in the area due to after-work socializing and the location was convenient for me. Even when it was out of my way, I kept going back because I was accustomed to the store set up, could navigate it well, was comfortable with the neighborhood, and the stores had great customer service versus those chains in other locations.

Back to my point, the blind can not lead the blind or they will both fall into a ditch. If you want to win the NYC marathon, the best person to ask how to do so and study their methods are those individuals who have won. You don't waste time questioning the other runners who are struggling to win like you are nor those doing worse off than you. Other people's defensiveness aside, this young lady is smart. She asked the right question for where she is currently in life in light of where she wants to go, IMO.

Better yet (as I already suggested), just take race out of the equation entirely and ask how young people manage to survive well financially in Manhattan and go from there. - I agree. It would have still gotten her questions answered; minus the defensiveness from some posters.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 07-27-2014 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: To add for clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:40 PM

114 posts, read 276,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm one of the ones who pointed out that her choice of asking about whites is absurd. Her answer was that she "hadn't noticed" successful people of any other color besides white.

Re-read my statements. I never stated that there aren't any successful non white people in upscale areas of the city. That's crazy! I stated that there's a lot of young white people who reside in pricey areas of Manhattan.

This is definitely a bitter attitude. Whenever I am in the Columbus Circle area, I see plenty of wealthy-looking people of many different ethnicities shopping in the Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods). The fact that she manages not to see any people she considers successful and well-off who are not white means she is, indeed, bitter towards white people whom she ASSUMES have everything handed to them on a silver platter.

There's a difference between spotting a handful of non white people, vs. seeing mostly whites in whole paycheck! Also, everyone who shops at whole foods doesn't necessarily reside in the community.

It also makes no sense whatsoever that someone who is trying to get ahead would wonder what people of a specific, different race are doing and how they are doing it. Think about it: if she truly wants to improve her life circumstances and needs to ask questions like this, it would make significantly more sense if she asked how people of her particular demographic/background were able to make it work and be successful in Manhattan. Better yet (as I already suggested), just take race out of the equation entirely and ask how young people manage to survive well financially in Manhattan and go from there.

I also find it funny that you think that anyone commenting on her race-baiting should be considered "defensive." I guess that says something about you too
I am trying to understand your overall purpose for posting. You didn't actually read my comments, you just made a lot of assumptions...

Old 07-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
The fact that she manages not to see any people she considers successful and well-off who are not white means she is, indeed, bitter towards white people whom she ASSUMES have everything handed to them on a silver platter. - Hmm, so you ASSUMED that based on the fact that she asked how do "young Whites" afford such high rents? I would have never guessed that a person inquiring how young Whites afford high rent in Manhattan is really a blanket statement for "all White people" have things handed to them on a silver platter. I realize a lot of poor non-Whites do think this but I hope OP, who is college educated, doesn't think like that.

Maybe because I don't associate all "young White people" in expensive sections of Manhattan as representative of all White people, of all ages and economic background, throughout the NYC metro area, I didn't see it as an indictment against all Whites. I read it as an inquiry regarding a certain DEMOGRAPHIC among Whites in Manhattan especially when among young people, it's no secret that more young Whites live in the expensive areas than young people from all other minority groups put together. I'm not talking young people living in college dorm apartments in the area but young people in free-market apartments in expensive sections of Manhattan: the majority of them are White. That's no shocker nor surprise if you live in NYC and have traversed the area, know people or crossed paths with people who live in the area.

It should also be stated that Whites aren't monolithic either. However, seeing the defensive reaction of some posters to the OP does serve some good. See your own defensive responses and assumptions? Those of you so shaken have experienced the emotional stirrings that many Blacks, in particular (but other minorities as well), feel when they (we) read threads are framed asking "Why do Blacks (or other minority) do xyz" or "Why are Blacks xyz". This just confirms that we are all human and have feelings regardless of high or low financial status or educational accomplishment.

It also makes no sense whatsoever that someone who is trying to get ahead would wonder what people of a specific, different race are doing and how they are doing it. Think about it: if she truly wants to improve her life circumstances and needs to ask questions like this, it would make significantly more sense if she asked how people of her particular demographic/background were able to make it work and be successful in Manhattan. - It's not that they don't exist but young people in her particular demographic/background can not afford and do not live in the expensive areas of Manhattan in SIGNIFICANT numbers (and exceptions to the rule are too few in number to matter) so it would be a waste of her time starting a thread to ask that. Please don't use the customers at Whole Foods as a testimony to who lives in the neighborhood. While briefly rooming with a friend in Harlem a couple of years ago and then moving over to NJ for a year, I continued to shop at my favorite locations Trader Joe & Fairway both near 72nd St. Yet, I've never lived in that area, ever. I was initially in the area due to after-work socializing and the location was convenient for me. Even when it was out of my way, I kept going back because I was accustomed to the store set up, could navigate it well, was comfortable with the neighborhood, and the stores had great customer service versus those chains in other locations.

Back to my point, the blind can not lead the blind or they will both fall into a ditch. If you want to win the NYC marathon, the best person to ask how to do so and study their methods are those individuals who have won. You don't waste time questioning the other runners who are struggling to win like you are nor those doing worse off than you. Other people's defensiveness aside, this young lady is smart. She asked the right question for where she is currently in life in light of where she wants to go, IMO.

Better yet (as I already suggested), just take race out of the equation entirely and ask how young people manage to survive well financially in Manhattan and go from there. - I agree. It would have still gotten her questions answered; minus the defensiveness from some posters.
Thank you for posting. -Finally, someone actually gets it!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
It also makes no sense whatsoever that someone who is trying to get ahead would wonder what people of a specific, different race are doing and how they are doing it. Think about it: if she truly wants to improve her life circumstances and needs to ask questions like this, it would make significantly more sense if she asked how people of her particular demographic/background were able to make it work and be successful in Manhattan. Better yet (as I already suggested), just take race out of the equation entirely and ask how young people manage to survive well financially in Manhattan and go from there.
Why wouldn't I choose to mirror the behavior of successful people? Since there are more successful white people in NYC than black people, it makes sense that I would ask questions and study the behaviors of those who have achieved the greatest levels of success.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:03 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
How do people afford anything? Money.
Who cares where they get it from? Mom, dad, a dog, or off of a tree.

But to answer your question there are plenty of mid to high paying jobs in the City.

I have 5 friends who are under 30 and live in the City. NONE came from wealthy backgrounds:

- 27 yrs old, Actuary (Salary about 85k all in)

- 27 yrs old, Mechanical Engineer (salary about 65k all in)

- 28 yrs old , Digital Ad sales (about 110k all in)

- 28 yrs old, Labor Law Associate ( about 150k all in).

- 27 yrs old, Investment Analyst ( about 70k all in).

ALL of these people went to a SUNY College with me. Again, none came from wealthy families. None came from poor families either. Just solid middle class families.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post
Why wouldn't I choose to mirror the behavior of successful people? Since there are more successful white people in NYC than black people, it makes sense that I would ask questions and study the behaviors of those who have achieved the greatest levels of success.
I feel sorry for you. You seem lost and confused, and don't seem to like the color of your own skin. And yes, I have read your posts on this thread, and I understand exactly what you are saying. Unfortunately, you yourself do not seem to grasp how your own comments are coming across. Well, best of luck mirroring the behavior of only WHITE successful people, and failing to see the successful people of color out there.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I feel sorry for you. You seem lost and confused, and don't seem to like the color of your own skin. And yes, I have read your posts on this thread, and I understand exactly what you are saying. Unfortunately, you yourself do not seem to grasp how your own comments are coming across. Well, best of luck mirroring the behavior of only WHITE successful people, and failing to see the successful people of color out there.
If anything, it is you who seems very lost and confused. I love my skin color and I am happy with myself. I am not sure why you are drawing these assumptions, but then again, it's not like you have actually read any of my statements.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
How can so many young whites afford to pay such high rents in Manhattan? I'm a recent college grad and I'd love to reside in an area with plenty of nice amenities and restaurants, preferably around the Columbus circle area, but I rarely see any blacks renting in such nice areas of NYC.

I have thought about this issue and I've arrived at the following assumptions:

1. A relative is financing their apartment
2. They are rooming with multiple people, or
3. They inherited trust fund money

I make 35K a year and I'd love to find good roommates, but a number of my friends are from working class backgrounds and have no interest in residing in the areas that I'd like to live in. As a young woman, I am interested in living in a better area for a number of reasons. I'm 23 and I believe it would be easier to meet the right type of guy in the better areas of Manhattan as opposed to the Bronx. My lease will be up in another month and I know that I need to make a major change. I'm so sick of the crime, and overall gloomy environment of my current living situation. My apartment is nice, but it's in an economically depressed neighborhood with plenty of shady characters and blue collar, low income and uneducated guys.

Any advice?
My advice to you is to make more money so that you can afford where you want to live....it's that simple

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:

1. A relative is financing their apartment
2. They are rooming with multiple people, or
3. They inherited trust fund money

Any advice?
You forgot

#4 They live alone and can afford to because they make a great salary in jobs they excel at and are highly prepared for.

Btw, it's funny you're accusing others of making assumptions when you are the one who created this thread in order to make assumptions about a certain demographic's financial situations. Two thirds of the possibilities you listed above are that white people who live in an area you covet come from rich families. You couldn't even CONSIDER that these people you spend all your time envying actually have very good jobs that allow them to live the way they want.

I guess you do need to spend more time around people from other backgrounds. You seem a bit stuck in yours.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
My advice to you is to make more money so that you can afford where you want to live....it's that simple
I will be transitioning into a new position at higher pay and I am in the process of relocating to Manhattan on July 29th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City