Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,524 times

Advertisements

Hi OP, I signed up just to respond.

I'm impressed with your attempts to make sense of the world and NYC despite your disadvantages in life. You sound conventionally attractive, and probably have little trouble getting male attention. I am concerned by your misguided career choice - anything outside of finance/tech/medicine will shut you out of upper middle class social circles. Your plan to stay in a family neighborhood sounds terrible as well. Next time, I hope you, and 2 friends find a pleasant 2 br apartment in a trendy, young professional neighborhood. Any savings should be spent on prep courses for the GMAT. Score as close to 95th percentile as possible, obviously. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise...seriously, this will be the single most important activity you must complete to achieve your goals. Attend the absolute best MBA program you can - yes even outside Manhattan, and no, this is not optional. Focus on eligible, liberal intellectual black/white men (especially from Europe and Africa...DO NOT sleep on this. There are an incredible amount of wealthy, well-educated African and European men who find African American women beyond beautiful)...finally you can live the Manhattan lifestyle once you relocate for your new finance jobs (assuming you were forced to attend Wharton etc.).

If you deviate from this plan, don't be surprised if you are broke and dateless 2 years from now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Spend $2000 on rent, $120 for monthly metro, and $400 for groceries, and you still have $800+ to work with.
Yeah right. You haven't even factored in...

Gourmet Cupcakes and other artisanal goods
Fro Yo
Craft beer
All types of flavorful drinks on rooftop bars
Clothing (a must in Manhattan)
Cab fare
Eating out multiple times per week
Clubbing
Etc.

That's how the average, young and white Manhattanite is living. Sure, you could stay in your apartment eating spaghetti and ramen noodles four nights a week, watch Netflix, never drink, shop at the Salvation Army, never buy little trinkets and other non-sense you don't need, but then what's the point of living in Manhattan?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Fro Yo
Craft beer
Cab fare
Clubbing
Etc.

That's how the average, young and white Manhattanite is living. Sure, you could stay in your apartment eating spaghetti and ramen noodles four nights a week, watch Netflix, never drink, shop at the Salvation Army, never buy little trinkets and other non-sense you don't need, but then what's the point of living in Manhattan?

Hmm my thoughts exactly. 2000 dollars after taxes and everything can not fully cover the Manhattan experience yet alone the West Brooklyn experience either. YOu also forget to factor in shopping at whole foods or other yuppie type super markets, and or upgrading an iphone every year. How is one supposed to save up and take a trip to Costa Rica or Thailand like many Manhattan yuppies?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hmm my thoughts exactly. 2000 dollars after taxes and everything can not fully cover the Manhattan experience yet alone the West Brooklyn experience either. YOu also forget to factor in shopping at whole foods or other yuppie type super markets, and or upgrading an iphone every year. How is one supposed to save up and take a trip to Costa Rica or Thailand like many Manhattan yuppies?
He said $800 after paying for rent, transportation and groceries. He didn't even account for Con Ed, Verizon or Time Warner bills. Though I guess if you really wanted to go gutta, you could just do without internet and a cell phone. Most millennials, however, are going to have both the internet and a cell phone so you can go ahead and deduct $200 from that $800. Let's say the Con Ed Bill is $50. Now we're down to $550.

This reminds me of the first episode of the Cosby Show where Theo wanted to live alone in Manhattan as a "regular person." "Do you plan to have a girlfriend, son?"

THE COSBY SHOW - REGULAR PEOPLE - YouTube

Old 07-29-2014, 12:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
He said $800 after paying for rent, transportation and groceries. He didn't even account for Con Ed, Verizon or Time Warner bills. Though I guess if you really wanted to go gutta, you could just do without internet and a cell phone. Most millennials, however, are going to have both the internet and a cell phone so you can go ahead and deduct $200 from that $800. Let's say the Con Ed Bill is $50. Now we're down to $550.

This reminds me of the first episode of the Cosby Show where Theo wanted to live alone in Manhattan as a "regular person." "Do you plan to have a girlfriend, son?"

THE COSBY SHOW - REGULAR PEOPLE - YouTube
That was very funny. TO be honest all Transplants should watch that video if they plan on moving to NYC. Lets not forget about other costs like health and medical, going to the gym and so forth. I know of some Millennial Transplants who do not have internet broadband and just use their mobile device strictly for internet. if wanted to they can connect their mobile device to their MacBooks. 800 dollars left over what can one do with 800 dollars in a month. One time I blew 800 in one night on strippers, but that didn't happen here in NYC. Oh yeah lets not forget about tuition. Nearly all of the millennial Transplants have some sort of college debt that needs to be paid back to banking institutions and or the government. Lets imagine 2000 dollars and 1,200 goes to a portion of the rent. 800 dollars is left over which can buy 112 dollar metrocard, which leaves back 688 dollars which has to cover 110 dollars for iphone data atat or Verizon costs which now leaves back 578 dollars. Fannae Mae and Freddie Mac wants 400 dollars a month for tuition repayments per month. After all that is said and done all that is left is 178. A gym membership at NYSC cost 70 dollars a month. All that leaves back is a 108 dollars for food a month. Looks like Ramen noodles and water every day and night.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:39 PM

Well, that's when they pick up the iPhone 5S and say, "Hey Dad, a little help, please."

Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
^^CLASSIC still even since I watched it on prime time....LOL

Old 07-29-2014, 01:08 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
40 years into the future USA won't be majority white. You gotta thank educated white liberal women of nyc, DC San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, LA and Philly for chasing limited number of available educated white men and failing to reproduce until it's too late.
Actually both Whites and AA's are not reproducing at a fast enough rate. Both groups will be extinct in about 100 years according to indications. In a few hundred years everyone that is left will be part Asian.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:10 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Quote:

Fro Yo
Craft beer
Cab fare
Clubbing
Etc.

My estimate was based solely on what it takes to LIVE in manhattan.

I never factored in partying and the extras that you are talking about.

With ZERO DEBT a person could definitely find a nice studio apartment in a nice part of manhattan.

Now...having enough money to ENJOY manhattan is a completely different story.

I just could not see myself living somewhere comfortably knowing that I all of my paycheck will be eaten up on expenses.

Last edited by usamathman; 07-29-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Actually both Whites and AA's are not reproducing at a fast enough rate. Both groups will be extinct in about 100 years according to indications. In a few hundred years everyone that is left will be part Asian.

because people in this country have been hating and undermining each other for so long I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City