Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 63,467 times

Advertisements

One question is the original poster black?

I work in investment banking on Park Avenue in M&A and I hang out with a lot of fellow Analysts/Associates and generally know the banking culture well from having interned and worked at big and medium sized banks. My girlfriend is white, all my friends are white or Indian.

I do think there are definitely barriers for a black girl "breaking" into the banking dating scene esp. because none of us are exposed/know/have friendships with very many black women, popular stereotypes of "strong" black women being loud and having attitude, also with the exception of someone like Rashida Jones type of girls (who is gorgeous) black women don't really fit the idealised western sense of beauty (except for Rashida Jones) as they have different physical features.

I'm not saying this is right but it is how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesLobsterRolls View Post

I work in investment banking on Park Avenue in M&A and I hang out with a lot of fellow Analysts/Associates and generally know the banking culture well from having interned and worked at big and medium sized banks. My girlfriend is white, all my friends are white or Indian.

I do think there are definitely barriers for a black girl "breaking" into the banking dating scene esp. because none of us are exposed/know/have friendships with very many black women, popular stereotypes of "strong" black women being loud and having attitude, also with the exception of someone like Rashida Jones type of girls (who is gorgeous) black women don't really fit the idealised western sense of beauty (except for Rashida Jones) as they have different physical features.

It is right actually... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You may think Rashida Jones is gorgeous, I may think she's meh.

I also agree with the stereotypical attitude that is associated with black women being a huge factor. But at the same time, (I'm not blanketing the whole race) I've never seen a black woman no matter how classy, not go full ghetto when there is any sort of confrontation.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Also,

Completely way off topic, I love your username. My fiance just showed me them because she works across the street from the plaza and I am in love. I think I like the buttered roll more than the meat! hah

Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 PM

114 posts, read 276,697 times
Quote:
I make 75k exactly and I am in ibanking and I'm Asian not white.

I am moving to Roosevelt Island because the $1800/m rent in Greenwich Village for a stall shower and tiny bedroom (had to downgrade to twin bed) plus rats in walls on the 5th floor walk-up was not ideal.

Before this I lived in 200 Water Street in FiDi. Let me tell you this even on Wall Street most people work and pay their own rent instead of rich parents. That is a myth. Maybe 1/5 does that. I have wealthy parents who own several properties and they will never pay my rent for me.

Believe or not children of wealthy successful professionals who went to elite prep schools and good colleges are actually hard-working and smart.
You received a major head start before the race even begun. It's not a bad thing, if anything, your parents were wise to provide you with an elite education. I will ensure that my future children have the same head start.

Cheers

Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
don't wait forever for prince charming to come sweep
you off your feet, especially if you're from the hood.
all those other girls a few classes up will be fiercely
competing against you for the same guy.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:04 PM

33 posts, read 63,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I've never seen a black woman no matter how classy, not go full ghetto when there is any sort of confrontation.
Seriously? lmao.

Honestly though why is it that all the black women hyped about and glamourised are either part or half white and not true African black looking with darker skin? I would say most guys on Wall Street would not be interested in non-Halle Berry/Rashida Jones type of black women at least on face value/pure physical attraction.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Seriously? lmao.

Honestly though why is it that all the black women hyped about and glamourised are either part or half white and not true African black looking with darker skin? I would say most guys on Wall Street would not be interested in non-Halle Berry/Rashida Jones type of black women at least on face value/pure physical attraction.
I'm the same way. I can't think of any actually dark skin women that I find attractive. I don't know if it's the skin color or just them all around or what but it's just not for me. And I see lot's of African American models due to my fiance's industry. (not in person)

Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
Quote:

funny you say this as an Asian man...

Anyway, while beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, it's social economic status that is the common ground basis when dating. I can assure you there are black women that date white bankers, lawyers, doctors, etc. and those black women are usually from a similar social economic strata. Again, you're likely not going to find a hood rat with an ibanker but you very well may find a lawyer with one.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:17 PM

114 posts, read 276,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Rashida Jones is not completely 100% african american. I think her dad is African American and her mom is British? (correct me if I am wrong).

The original poster said that she is not black.

And I also got an idea that finding a rich, white husband is one o her goal. Of course this is considering she / he is not a troll. (This is the only topic she created and she never responded to any other forum. Therefore, it is more likely she / he opens the account for the sole purpose of this "rant". And there will be a chance that the person is a troll).
A troll is someone who creates a topic for sensational value, but doesn't provide any constructive commentary.

I did not mention my racial background until a poster inquired as to whether or not I am black. Why is it an issue if I'm interested in finding a nice, professional white man who is interested in me? Don't we all have a right to our preferences.

FYI: Rashida Jones is biracial. Her father is music mogul Quincy Jones (Black) and her mother is actress Peggy Lipton (white).

Old 07-22-2014, 12:20 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,771,520 times
OMG, CHESECA, im sorry but the problem is YOU and the way you are approaching and thinking of things. I cant even bother.

Good luck though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City