Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,159 times

Advertisements

I think I may have found a place in my range, finally!

Looks a little ruff, but it's a block from the jfk airport station so it's probably not so bad, right?

Anyone from Queens weigh in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 05:30 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
It's a little run-down and seedy but I don't think it's a really bad area. It's ok, not the greatest but not the worst. It's been a while since I've walked around there at night - I'm only in the area for whenever I get jury duty at Civil Court. Now, immediately to the south of the LIRR,from there down to Linden Boulevard - Sutphin Boulevard is a really bad area. Hope your apartment is north of the LIRR.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM

Thanks. It is. Closest cross to Stuphin is actually 91st.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
You need to pay it a visit at night when all the commuters and court officers are back home from a long days work. If you are new to NYC, then you are a true pioneer. Forget those people moving into Bushwick and Bed Stuy, they're a dime a dozen these days. But rare to hear someone ask about Jamaica. Its not as bad as those Brooklyn nabes, but it can get dicey, especially with good-for-nothings hanging around the train stations.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:33 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger89 View Post
Thanks. It is. Closest cross to Stuphin is actually 91st.
Well you got a pretty decent movie theater over on Parsons. And of course lots of shopping on Jamaica Avenue. Good transportation too.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-22-2014, 08:42 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Don't move there. What is your budget?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
It's not the worst, but far from the best.

Wasn't that the area where that guy walked into McDonalds stabbed a few weeks ago?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 PM

863 posts, read 1,128,778 times
Like everyone else said, it's not the worst or the best. Tons of cops in that area, though. If the price is right, you definitely can't beat that it's a major transportation hub. Great place for shopping also.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Don't move there. What is your budget?
Not high, sadly. So long as it isn't the worst of the worst I think I will be fine. Currently in Pilsen, South Side Chicago which, while an up-and-comer like the part of Jamaica we are talking about, is plenty rough around its edges.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 PM

79 posts, read 434,913 times
I've never heard anyone describe Jamaica as up and coming. I live further up Sutphin but pass the by the area daily due to my commute (E train) and some days I'm coming home late (like 11pm). Even then there are still people returning home from work/wherever hopping on buses going deeper into Jamaica. There definitely is a noticeable population of bummy and shady looking people hanging about but I honestly doubt you will run into problems in that area because there is heavy police presence and so many people in the area. I mean pretty much everyone that lives in Laurelton, South Jamaica, Rosedale, etc.. and even parts of Richmond Hill and Ozone Park use the E train as a hub to get to other parts of the city everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City