Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:25 PM

7 posts, read 6,347 times

Advertisements

Hey all. After 26 years of this neighborhood, I've finally had it. I'm fed up with this disgusting neighborhood. I'm Dominican, and I can't believe how little my own people care about their neighborhood, their surroundings, or their neighbors. I'm married. Myself and my wife both work, and make a decent wage (around 100k combined). I'm ready to go, and Queens is often recommended. Nice neighborhoods with a quick commute to Manhattan would be appreciated. Our budget is ideally no more than 1700/month for a 1 bed room, preferably 2 bedroom (or just a spacious 1 bedroom). Any spots in Queens where that's doable? We also have a medium sized dog, and I know it's typically a hassle in Manhattan with pet policies, I'm not sure how pet policies are in the outer boroughs.

Last edited by fullyclips; 07-23-2014 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: title change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 PM

5,014 posts, read 4,896,146 times
what? You don't like Dominicans? It sounds so racisit!!!

And you are looking to move to Qns, the ultimate destination many of NYC racisists?

with $1700, you may be able to find what you need in Suunyside.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
what? You don't like Dominicans? It sounds so racisit!!!

And you are looking to move to Qns, the ultimate destination many of NYC racisists?

with $1700, you may be able to find what you need in Suunyside.

No. Definitely not racist (I'm Dominican). But I can't deny that my people generally just don't care and make living in this neighborhood with a potential child on the way, a trying experience. I'll check out Sunyside, thanks!

Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 PM

33,398 posts, read 46,826,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullyclips View Post
No. Definitely not racist (I'm Dominican). But I can't deny that my people generally just don't care and make living in this neighborhood with a potential child on the way, a trying experience. I'll check out Sunyside, thanks!
Why not try west of Broadway?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-23-2014, 01:08 PM

102 posts, read 189,579 times
You should go to Corona Queens there's a lot of Dominicans there.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:14 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,838,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why not try west of Broadway?
It's a big difference in price between East of Bway and West of Bway. This post seems kind of odd. West of Bway is Whiter and has been for some time now. White people are being priced out of that area and are moving East of Bway. East of Bway is still predominately Dominican but it's Whiter than has been for decades. The OP is supposedly tired of his own people that he has lived around for 26 years. Which means that he was there for the worst. Now it is better than it has been for years and he wants to move. It is not better because it is Whiter but because drug dealing and crime is down, as most of these types have been chased out to the West Bronx and now into the East Bronx.

Lately there has been a few threads urging people to move to Queens. Nothing wrong with that, Queens is nice place to live and many transplants are clueless about it. It just seems to be one of those threads with a different take on it.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,164,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullyclips View Post
Hey all. After 26 years of this neighborhood, I've finally had it. I'm fed up with this disgusting neighborhood. I'm Dominican, and I can't believe how little my own people care about their neighborhood, their surroundings, or their neighbors. I'm married. Myself and my wife both work, and make a decent wage (around 100k combined). I'm ready to go, and Queens is often recommended. Nice neighborhoods with a quick commute to Manhattan would be appreciated. Our budget is ideally no more than 1700/month for a 1 bed room, preferably 2 bedroom (or just a spacious 1 bedroom). Any spots in Queens where that's doable? We also have a medium sized dog, and I know it's typically a hassle in Manhattan with pet policies, I'm not sure how pet policies are in the outer boroughs.
Surprised you would think that way when there are nice parts of Washington Heights/Inwood. You don't have to leave. But hey if your tired, your tired.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
It's a big difference in price between East of Bway and West of Bway. This post seems kind of odd. West of Bway is Whiter and has been for some time now. White people are being priced out of that area and are moving East of Bway. East of Bway is still predominately Dominican but it's Whiter than has been for decades. The OP is supposedly tired of his own people that he has lived around for 26 years. Which means that he was there for the worst. Now it is better than it has been for years and he wants to move. It is not better because it is Whiter but because drug dealing and crime is down, as most of these types have been chased out to the West Bronx and now into the East Bronx.

Lately there has been a few threads urging people to move to Queens. Nothing wrong with that, Queens is nice place to live and many transplants are clueless about it. It just seems to be one of those threads with a different take on it.

Correct. I've been here throughout the ups and downs. While I won't deny that major crime (murder, muggings etc) are no where near what they used to be, the drug dealing is still quite prominent. As is the ridiculous loitering in front of the stoop/corner of the block going 12 dudes deep on lawn chairs smoking weed out of hookas and drinking henny right out in the open, which is what I currently deal with day and night.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Surprised you would think that way when there are nice parts of Washington Heights/Inwood. You don't have to leave.

There are nice parts in the heights, but they unfortunately, the nicer the block/area (read: Jewish folk/White people) the much more un-affordable it is. I can't believe that 1700 can't get me barely more than a studio in the Heights..The heights! I get that's it's being gentrified, and is "up and coming", but it ain't came yet! It's also really difficult to find a place where the landlord/super doesn't lose his mind about my dog. A Pitty mix, who I've had since a puppy, is 5 years old and is calmer/quieter than all other hairy little dogs in the neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:24 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,251,322 times
Ridgewood Queens has a decent Dominican population without it being the dominant group. Might want to check it out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City