Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 AM

102 posts, read 142,527 times

Advertisements

absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,484 times
Thank you all so much for your responses! The consensus seems to be overwhelmingly positive about the place.

I have to admit, I'm a little bit confused about why the place is so inexpensive compared to other places we are looking (the BK neighborhoods I listed, and the Upper East Side). Not only is rent very reasonable by NYC standards, but the private schools in the area (looking primarily at the Astoria Lutheran School) are ~50% the cost of the schools in BK or Manhattan. How does this happen? What am I missing?

Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Yeah you can't go wrong there with a family, it's a genuine community environment

Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM

912 posts, read 1,131,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcolejr View Post
Thank you all so much for your responses! The consensus seems to be overwhelmingly positive about the place.

I have to admit, I'm a little bit confused about why the place is so inexpensive compared to other places we are looking (the BK neighborhoods I listed, and the Upper East Side). Not only is rent very reasonable by NYC standards, but the private schools in the area (looking primarily at the Astoria Lutheran School) are ~50% the cost of the schools in BK or Manhattan. How does this happen? What am I missing?
What you are missing is that Astoria, particularly the Ditmars area, is not as cool/trendy/hip as the other areas you listed. That is why you will find that it is much cheaper than the other neighborhoods you mentioned. As far as schools go, you would have to list the schools in Brooklyn that you are comparing it to, but in general, Catholic/religious private school tend to be a lot cheaper than other private schools.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,610,953 times
I'm going to pile on and concour that Astoria is amazing, especally for families. However, to assist in your search in regards to Queens, also consider:

-Sunnyside, Middle Village, Maspeth, pretty much the whole of NE Queens (East of the Van Wyck and North of Grand Central), Forest Hills-Rego Park (pricey thou). Also, consider Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, and Midwood in Brooklyn.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I'm going to pile on and concour that Astoria is amazing, especally for families. However, to assist in your search in regards to Queens, also consider:

-Sunnyside, Middle Village, Maspeth, pretty much the whole of NE Queens (East of the Van Wyck and North of Grand Central), Forest Hills-Rego Park (pricey thou). Also, consider Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, and Midwood in Brooklyn.
Some of these areas (Middle Village, Maspeth, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Midwood) would most likely have a long commute to Midtown, especially since the first two are not particularly transit-friendly and the last three have long rides on the subway to get to Midtown (I believe).

Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,230,808 times
It's ugly, but that's the only knock against it. Otherwise a solid neighborhood. Low crime, relative bargain price-wise, decent commutes, decent schools. Local community is heavy with Greek and Egyptian immigrants. It's popular with young transplants who can't afford fancier areas, too, because of the low prices.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:06 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Hello all!

My wife, our 4 year old son, and I will soon be joining the ranks of the transplants in NY, as she accepted an offer with her company there (in Midtown). We are looking for a unicorn, like every transplant family, and I was hoping somebody could give me the lowdown on whether the Ditmars area would be good for us.

The issue here is that she will be the only one working in the beginning, until we are acclimated, so a lot of places that we would like to live would be at least difficult, if not impossible. That said, I like the looks of Ditmars. It seems like rent is reasonable, crime is not bad, and the commute for her would be relatively short. Am I missing something here?

She does want to send our son to a private school, at least for the first couple of years (we are switching countries, too, so we want him to have more attention during the transition than most public schools provide). The options look a bit limited there, but the Lutheran school looks nice. Any others that have a good Pre-K program?

In the interest of full disclosure, here are the neighborhoods (in BK) that she likes, but I personally think are a bit too pricey: Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg, Cobble Hill. Any thoughts on how Ditmars compares for a young family?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Neither of us know NYC beyond tourist-level, so we are kind of lost.
Astoria is a good bet for you guys. I like Astoria and its one of my favorite areas in the city. I'm not sure about raising a kid there in general due to the cost of living in NYC and to a certain degree quality of life example in the public school system, but your child will learn from other cultures which is more than a life time award. Astoria has parks by the waterfront that overlooks a sewage facility, Manhattan, Hell Gate and Tri-borough bridges. Astoria is a better bet than most of hip Brooklyn due to being cheaper, however Astoria has been getting pricier thanks to plenty of careerist Transplants who can no longer afford Manhattan and hip areas of Brooklyn. The commute to Midtown is cool and easy, however the N and Q train gets really crowded and congested in the morning and during rush hours in the afternoon, and a good portion of the riders are Transplants, hell at time the majority. And last the only downside of Astoria is that its aesthetically unpleasing aka, a very ugly area not in blight but in building architecture and design. Overall I think Astoria is your best bet for you guys at the moment, diverse cultures, near to the city, also near to LGA airport. You really cant go wrong. Check out 30th avenue, and check out Steinway if you can.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:42 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
Quote:

Yep, and I have no idea why it has always been a family area, but it has. Very nice indeed.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,610,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Some of these areas (Middle Village, Maspeth, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Midwood) would most likely have a long commute to Midtown, especially since the first two are not particularly transit-friendly and the last three have long rides on the subway to get to Midtown (I believe).
While inconvenient, I'm inclined to believe like most parents priority numero uno is their children and no one can argue the family friendly credientals of those areas. Plus, with the exception of NE Queens, they still offer the diverse, urbane, and engaging NY experience many families move here to experience. Not to be rude or direct this at you specifically, but NYers are whiners when it comes to the Subway system. Commute everyday in LA or Atlanta traffic and come back and tell me the trains are so bad....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City