Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 04:58 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,716 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not this is not one of those I make 25k a year posts and would so die if I just couldn't live in Manhattan. I'm more of a 105k a year with savings and a skill set.

However this is not about money, I work on Audi, I got into the Audi Veterans to Technicians program with prior technician experience.

I'm also older and about as hip as a hillbilly moonshiner.

I am very curious about this huge infatuation with Manhattan from the younger folks but more importantly I am adventurous and had always wondered what a 2-4 year hitch would be like living in the big apple.

Thanks off listening and would like to hear back from you on your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
the obsession with Manhattan is caused by the media. those who live in places where theres little to nothing going on seeing Manhattan on TV and in the papers its going to cause excitement and curiosity and in some a desire to live in Manhattan

tho many i think do like living in Manhattan, im sure the novelty wears off after awhile

Old 07-24-2014, 06:35 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
If you like to live in a pigeon hole of a bug infested apartment that will cost you thousands because you have all this "culture" and entertainment around you, then go right ahead.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 PM

298 posts, read 706,856 times
I found dating easier in Manhattan than anywhere else. I think the cost of living thing is pretty much overwrought. If you want to live in any sort of hip city like D.C., Austin, San Francisco, you will be paying the same percentage of your income for rent.

One thing I would take into account is the costs of car ownership are considerably higher here. If you can go without a car, the cost of living is not too bad.

You need to really think about your living situation, like what's important to you. Space isn't really important to me, and I have no desire to deal with a lawn so I have no problem with living in Manhattan.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the replies

Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times
The infatuation of Manhattan isn't just media driven. It really is more glamorous and has far more entertainment options of all sorts than any other US city. It has far more different types of people than other cities. It is far more internationally oriented than any other US city. It is the center of finance, law, theater, art, etc. in the US. And it's overall density gives it a vibe unlike any other city in the US.

And yes Manhattan is more expensive to live than other city in the US. But a single person making 100k can enjoy it. So don't be afraid to give it a shot

Last edited by citylove101; 07-25-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
Listen, how many world centers are there? London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo & New York... then come all the other cities with various aspects to recommend them to one degree or another, but they aren't the greatest cities in the world. "Well Whoopdedoo" you might say & that's fine, living in one of them wouldn't be worth the hassle for you.

But if you thrive on having a variety of choices of things to do/see on a daily basis that are world class... I mean just the level of musicians playing all over town every night is amazing, the art, restaurants. Some people could care less about this, I spent 20 years living in cities in every time zone, some were very cool places I could've stayed, but nothing is like NYC.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,260 times
media hype? i was just at union square park and enjoyed so much music by joe shmoes. weather was perfect. 71 degrees and lower humidity than normal. i LOVE seeing the not-normal people. i hate conformity so i love seeing the newest ideas and fashion and all types of races and people. it's incredible. it's like living inside of a tv but i am actually alive and participating. i never go to bars restaurants or such because i am cheap. i just do public free stuff and it's incredible. imagine if i had money?

i do have some great stories but a terrible one too. i asked some tall white guy from a red-state if he liked the area and he told me that this is a ghetto in a way to insinuate racism. he was about twice my size. not sure if he was angry that i liked nyc and its people or that he should be waving a confederate flag out there but will be jumped if he does so. out of towners who don't like diversity will not appreciate ny. it's really for those who embrace everyone and everything. if you are conservative, you will dislike ny bigtime.

those other cities you mentioned are a joke. you will absolutely never match the entirety of nyc's energy, diversity, and unique stuff you see daily. it's also far more populous. also, nyc is the finance capital of the world. you can argue for other things but god, er money, lives here. now...if i can only catch kim kardashian on the street and say hello...she's a goddess!

Old 07-27-2014, 11:14 PM

When it comes to politics I'm independent, I don't trust the blue or the red.
I'm conservative on gun laws because as a veteran I feel I earned the right to own one and I've learned what it means to be responsible. As a soldier I've seen guns from the other side if the fence, I know they can protect life, not mindlessly take it away.

I know NYC is expensive rent wise but it seems the city also has affordable things to do. I know there are affordable lunch and dinner places, I know clothing unless high fashion, costs pretty much the same anywhere.

It would be fun to try it for 12 months but being in the car industry I'm not sure how many cars New Yorkers have to service, NYC for the most part chooses to be car free based on the cities demographics and such.

I bet you folks have a lot of bicycle mechanics.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
those other cities you mentioned are a joke. you will absolutely never match the entirety of nyc's energy, diversity, and unique stuff you see daily. it's also far more populous. also, nyc is the finance capital of the world. you can argue for other things but god, er money, lives here. now...if i can only catch kim kardashian on the street and say hello...she's a goddess!
Please tell me this is sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: