Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,705 times

Advertisements

Hey here's my story.
I'm 19, I grew up on Staten Island.
I came out to my parents last year and they kicked me out
My aunt let me stay with her but she moved to FL and wouldn't let me come with her
I was in college but my parents stopped paying
Right now I'm crashing with a guy in Brooklyn (he's s creep though and I'd like to be able to leave ASAP I just don't wanna have to sleep on the train)
I go out every day and apply for jobs, I haven't heard anything,
I have previous administrative experience, busboy experience and I'm smart.
But, I just don't know what to do, I had some savings but they are running low and I am afraid.
Does anyone know of anyone hiring?
A job is my key to renting a place and being independent because I cannot do this anymore.
Anywhere with MTA access.

I'm seriously desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
You can possibly go to GMHC in chealsea and they might be able to help you with organizations that can assist you. I know one place that helps homeless teens is the covenant house on 10th ave. The other place you may want to try is the GLBT Center on little west 12th street. They offer all sorts of self help groups and social events.

Also there is no harm in going into gay bars and asking for work.

Good Luck

Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
I'm so sorry to hear your story. CNYC made some good suggestions.

Also look into: Forty to None Project -

Cyndi Lauper is involved with the organization and they do great work.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
You can possibly go to GMHC in chealsea and they might be able to help you with organizations that can assist you. I know one place that helps homeless teens is the covenant house on 10th ave. The other place you may want to try is the GLBT Center on little west 12th street. They offer all sorts of self help groups and social events.

Also there is no harm in going into gay bars and asking for work.

Good Luck
You'd send a 19 year old kid into gay bars and ask for work? The only work those sleazy bastards would give is work that's between the legs. Don't go into gay bars asking for work, OP!

In all honesty it's going to be extremely difficult for the OP to make enough money to support himself enough to even rent a room in a safe area. A lot of kids in the OP's position fall into drugs and prostitution.

I recommend you go to HRA and apply for food stamps and cash assistance.

HRA/DSS - Our Services

They do have job programs that help you find work. I don't know how long your housing situation will last, you may need to stay in a shelter. But HRA should be able to point you in that direction. Tell them you are homeless.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
I'm so sorry your family kicked you out. Get online to find out which church groups are open and have positive national policies or progressive statements on LGBT issues, phone up the nearest one, make a real appointment with the local pastor or assistant.

Pastors from progressive movements know a lot about community resources, and it's not all theology. Mention your job hunt, too, in case they know a congregant who might employ. Bring a written resume if you can. It doesn't matter if that wasn't your church or you've never been to a church.

Today is Sunday, so wait until Monday or Tues. morning to call the church secretary in an office. Tell her why it's urgent, to please make the app't happen soon.

With the appointment, go in and introduce yourself. Ask the pastor for some practical help, meaning guidance and info on housing and jobs. Don't beg money from them. THey get that all the time. Leave a resume with contact info so they can follow up. Call back in a few days, too.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 07-27-2014 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: paragraph order

Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 AM

98 posts, read 199,599 times
I was once a 19-year-old gay kid with no money and felt pretty hopeless myself. Although I have very supportive parents, I had to get out of this town (which I wound up coming back to anyway!) and figure things out on my own. This is my experience. Don't read too much into it because you're in a place with many more opportunities - so many that it might seem overwhelming.

I did what I had to do - I went to Minneapolis (315 miles away), applied for a tiny studio in a subsidized apartment building and got right in. It wasn't a safe place but was right in Loring Park (the gay area). I found employment at the 'Y' right downtown. You get a decent wage and a free membership, plus if there are first aid classes you can go for free. That's how I got my Red Cross Lifeguarding and Emergency Responder, which later opened doors to the Paramedic School, and I'm an EMT/Paramedic today. Try to look for nonprofit jobs that are community based, that offer classes once in a while that can get you certified to do something different (some places, for example churches, the 'Y', JCC offer classroom space for first aid classes or sign language interpreter classes, etc - you never know when that may come in handy). If you can get an entry level job at one of the hospitals or clinics, many offer Pharmacy Technician or Nurses Aide classes, and you can make an okay living doing that before moving up the nursing ladder - anything that can lead to advancement. You just gotta look, and have confidence. You'll get there!

Housing: I know this sounds like a long shot. But get on the waiting list for NYC Housing Authority. Yes, you might wait years for a place, but at least you're on it. They might respond in a few years when you are ready for a place of your own. You never know. In the meantime try to look into some kind of gay transitional housing programs - they must have them in NYC. Someone mentioned GMHC - excellent. Get in touch with any of these groups you can and don't be afraid to just tell them everything. The more upfront you are with them, the more likely they'll assist you in finding a place. Part of the problem with the housing crisis among gay men is that we don't want to admit our lives aren't too great at the moment, money's tight, and we need help. Hang out with healthy people. Don't get in with the bar crowds because a lot of that entails the drinking/drug scene that I avoided and it's just best that you avoid that too.

If you need any other help with resources give me a shout. I helped friends all the time when I lived in Minneapolis. These places that all say they have no openings or no space available sometimes do, but they want to get to know you and see you first so they are comfortable having you as a tenant. I wish you the best and it will get better, my friend.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You'd send a 19 year old kid into gay bars and ask for work?
Believe it or not some gay bar owners do give back to the community. He could come before the bar opens and set it up ( AKA. BAR BACK ) then leave when it opens.....OR he could come in during the day and help clean.

You are in NYC man...THINK outside the box !

Old 07-27-2014, 01:20 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
Honestly, I'd move somewhere with a much lower cost of living than NYC. You can get a livable place with a roommate in Florida for $500/ month, no state income tax. Immediately become a resident of the state. Work your behind off doing something like bar tending, waiting tables, etc. you're not the first 19 yr old with minimum savings and no college degree. Get your feet under you for two years and start taking classes. I believe florida state schools offer incredibly reduced education.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Believe it or not some gay bar owners do give back to the community. He could come before the bar opens and set it up ( AKA. BAR BACK ) then leave when it opens.....OR he could come in during the day and help clean.

You are in NYC man...THINK outside the box !
Yes, they'd let him bar back, if he barebacked. You know very well what that entails. OP, do not go into a sleazy gay bar for help. Just don't. Not at your age.

Someone mentioned turning to the churches that had progressive policies on LGBT issues. That's an excellent idea. Getting on the NYCHA wait list is a good idea as well.

Either way, all this is going to be extremely rough and to be honest the odds are not that great. It's tragic that people can be so homophobic they throw their kids out in the street like this. People who end up doing well do so because of emotional and financial support which generally must come from biological families.

None of the options we can give him here will equal family support. I pray that his family opens up their hearts and minds and take him back in, because the life of a street kid isn't a good life (so many fall into drugs and prostitution which is exactly what would happen if he goes to a gay bar for help).

Old 07-27-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Honestly, I'd move somewhere with a much lower cost of living than NYC. You can get a livable place with a roommate in Florida for $500/ month, no state income tax. Immediately become a resident of the state. Work your behind off doing something like bar tending, waiting tables, etc. you're not the first 19 yr old with minimum savings and no college degree. Get your feet under you for two years and start taking classes. I believe florida state schools offer incredibly reduced education.
Wow, every person who goes through hard times can magically leave NYC and by some divine reason have a good life.

First of all, it sounds like he doesn't even have the money to MOVE to Florida. Once he gets there, where will he eat? Store his clothes and other belongings? Does he even have a driver's license? If so, can he afford a car (no?). On top of that, he would have no job lined up, so how long would it take for him to get a job?

And btw, there are a lot of homeless and unemployed people in Florida too.

The OP, considering that he has no money and no job is going to have to turn to social services unless he can immediately get a job in NYC.

The OP is also undergoing enough stress by his current bad situation, so you want to dump a 19 year old kid in a place where he won't know anyone, won't really know his way around, and has no real job or school prospects,etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City